The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

HELLO! + moulting trouble

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
arachno-jim
Pandinus

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-03-17

HELLO! + moulting trouble Empty
PostSubject: HELLO! + moulting trouble   HELLO! + moulting trouble Empty3/17/2010, 8:03 pm

Hi people, this is the first time iv visited the site and this is my first post, I must admit to not having a look around yet, therefore I’m sorry for asking a questions that has probably been asked numerous times, but I am in urgent need of help. Please bare with me.
I have had my emperor for some time now, and this is the first scorpion I have owned it has recently undergone its second mould with me, I believe it to be its third mould in all, its about an inch and a bit long but needs a feed.
It accomplished its previous moult perfectly fine, it came off in one piece without a hiccup, however the same cannot be said about this one, when I discovered that it had moulted its moult was in two or three pieces and it had clearly gone wrong, it had its front right pedipalp and front right leg stuck, I was under the impression that these were some of the first limbs to be freed from the old skin, I decided to raise the humidity via misting and leave it a while longer to no avail, when I returned it was still in the same predicament and I decided to intervene so I got my tweezers and managed to free its claw, but the leg remains stuck and has done for some time.
I am coming to this community with the hope of receiving help from many times more experienced people and to ask the following questions.
Firstly, what are my options in this situation? It appears impossible that the scorpion will free itself as the only old skin is around its leg there’s none coming away from it for it to work with.
I understand that scorpions cannot re-grow their limbs and therefore I would like it to remain, but having to remove it seems to be inevitable to me, its appears to be in a lot of discomfort and stress, but how can I help it without having to basically tear the old skin off, by now the new exoskeleton will have hardened and it will be left with one deformed leg.
Does trying to tear the skin off sound like a good idea?
And if I manage it will the leg recover after further moultings?
Also if I have to remove it, how would I go about this?
I utterly don’t know what to do now and really need some advice on this situation therefore any advice or information received would be greatly appreciated, I hope you can help.
Thank you very much, Jim

Last edited by arachno-jim on 3/17/2010, 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistakes)
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: HELLO! + moulting trouble   HELLO! + moulting trouble Empty3/18/2010, 3:02 am

Any pictures would be a great help.

I would just leave him for a while and see if he frees himself.

Has he molt the entire of the rest of his body?

Most molts will end up in bits on the substrate. It just depends how crisp they are and ho the scorpion left it.
Back to top Go down
arachno-jim
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: HELLO! + moulting trouble   HELLO! + moulting trouble Empty3/18/2010, 9:29 am

Hi binksyboy thank you for your response.
Unfortunately I don’t own a camera so photos are a little out of the question, but if u can imagine it’s just like an elasticated sock around its leg in a sense.
I have left it a few days, four I think, probably too long I know.
Yes the rest of the body is fine, so I have no reason to believe that the scorpion will pass on but you never know with these things, unexpected deaths are inevitable.
I have been thinking about this more and I am wondering if it would help to soak the skin to try and release it better but to do so without causing stress is again inevitable.
Any more help would be great as I really want to get this issue resolved.
Many thanks Jim.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: HELLO! + moulting trouble   HELLO! + moulting trouble Empty3/18/2010, 2:34 pm

How about squeezing the parts of the exo that don't have part of the scorp inside, and trying to crumble the loose exo away using tweezers leaving just some or if not none of the exo left on the leg.

Try not to pull the exo but contract and relax the tweezers on the loose exo (Obviously you dont want to squeeze your scorp's leg)

You could give that a try and let me know how you get on.

And with your camera, what about camera phone?
Back to top Go down
arachno-jim
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: HELLO! + moulting trouble   HELLO! + moulting trouble Empty3/25/2010, 7:02 pm

Thanks for your response binksyboy, sorry I could not reply, my internets has been down.
Since last posting I decided to try it with a smallish black cricket, it didn’t eat it and preferred to shy away, previous to its troubles it was quite a prolific eater and I feel that it would have had enough time to harden by now and came to the conclusion that it was under stress caused by the moult stuck around its leg so I decided to do something similar to what u suggested. I tried to coax the moulted skin off with two pair of small tweezers,
I managed to get the old exo off but I unfortunately made a bit of a mess of the leg, it lost the tip of its leg and in general the leg looks a bit worse for wear.
I am now hoping that someone would be kind enough to tell me if scorpions are able to recover from this type of injury, will it learn to cope with a defected leg and manage to function properly?
I really don’t know what to expect now or what to do for that matter, I haven’t tried it again with food yet but probably will tomorrow.
Thanks, Jim.
Back to top Go down
arachno-jim
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: HELLO! + moulting trouble   HELLO! + moulting trouble Empty3/25/2010, 7:04 pm

Also I only have a very old nokia phone, unfortunately I have no way of getting an image at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELLO! + moulting trouble   HELLO! + moulting trouble Empty

Back to top Go down

HELLO! + moulting trouble
Page 1 of 1