The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts

Go down 
+3
binksyboy3
lycanlord
Shinryuu
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Shinryuu
Hadogenes
Shinryuu

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2009-10-07

Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts Empty
PostSubject: Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts   Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts Empty2/28/2010, 9:01 pm

Hi guys,

I wasn't sure where I should post this...

Anyhoo, I plan to meet one of the local journalists with the goal of raising the awareness of keeping scorps and Ts as pets.

Here's what I've got in mind to cover:

Breaking down common myths/misconceptions
Reccomending the best species to start out with
Pros and cons of keeping them
Basic care tips
References on where to acquire species/info for those interested

I'd try to keep it as basic and short as possible and avoid all the scientific mumbo-jumbo as this article will be targeted to the typical person considering a good appartment pet.

Is there anything that I'm missing that should be added for this type of article ?

I'm currently working on a draft of what I'll be talking about that I'd happily post here in order to get feedback.

Thanks all

-Luc
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts   Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts Empty2/28/2010, 9:09 pm

I would be very careful If I were you any time the papers do a story on keepers over here they prety much say what they like, and its mostly uncomplimentary
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts   Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts Empty3/1/2010, 2:27 am

^ Yeah i agree. Watch yourself but good luck
Back to top Go down
gromgroms
Centruroides
gromgroms

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts   Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts Empty3/1/2010, 7:51 am

be sure to mention, most, if not all deaths, are in countries where antivenin and good health care is unavailiable to victims, so death rates are largely based on that.

and that stings of common pet trade species are no worse than a wasp or bee you allow to get mad and tag you
Back to top Go down
Shinryuu
Hadogenes
Shinryuu

PostSubject: Re: Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts   Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts Empty3/1/2010, 10:07 am

gromgroms wrote:
be sure to mention, most, if not all deaths, are in countries where antivenin and good health care is unavailiable to victims, so death rates are largely based on that.

and that stings of common pet trade species are no worse than a wasp or bee you allow to get mad and tag you

That's part of the Breaking Myths section, but good call on mentionning poor health care as well as lack of anti-venin. I'll make a mental note on that. I also need to state that most deaths are either young, sick or old people with weakened immune systems.

To the rest, as I know the journalist in person, I strongly doubt my words will be twisted. If anything, an effort will be made to get the truth out there about these often misunderstood natural wonders.

When coming to Ts, I do plan on mentionning that no deaths so far have been attributed to them and will compare with cases of Black Widow and the Sydney Funnel Web.

I'll try to finalise my draft tonight and post it here. Until then, stay optimistic please ! More the truth gets out there, the better... even if a majority of the population really doesn't care.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts   Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts Empty3/1/2010, 11:38 am

lol im as optimistic as they come...
but ill still kill a spider for looking at me...

but yeah, that is true, most people only get stung by a scorpion as a result of an accident...hell ive had a scorpion for about 5 months now and ive only ever been rubbed by the sting...an it didnt even bother me, but i think thats from lack of contact....

i always thought it was, the bigger the scorpion, the less to worry about (unless its a fat tail)?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts   Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts Empty3/1/2010, 11:58 am

Coolness Good luck man. You should get a copy in pdf and post it here
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts   Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts Empty3/1/2010, 12:05 pm

Basic care for scorpions would depend on the single species, so i would be very carefull what you write here, should be more like " guidelines to figguring out the care for your scorpion" i know that sounds alot complicated, but there is huge difference in care and wrong care and quickly kill your scorpions.
Back to top Go down
Shinryuu
Hadogenes
Shinryuu

PostSubject: Re: Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts   Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts Empty3/1/2010, 10:59 pm

Ok guys, here's a rough draft of what I'll be talking about. Keep in mind these are just key points so I don't forget anything.

Key points to discuss on scorpion/tarantula article

Common myths to dispel

Tarantulas being lethal
Tarantulas to go after people if disturbed (mention S. calceatum and H. minax as exceptions)
Scorpions being lethal (explain a bit on Androctonus, Centruroides and Tityus)
Scorpions being restricted to desert habitats

Species to start out with (focus on least expensive/defensive species)

Tarantulas

G. rosea
B. albopilosum
L. parahybana

Scorpions

P. imperator
H. paucidens
V/H. spinigerus

Pros and Cons for keeping them

Cleanliness
Not demanding much space
Can live perfectly on room temp
Fascinating to observe natural behaviors in captivity

Shouldn’t be handled
Will never be greatful when you offer it water or food
Not social
A bite/sting will be unpleasant in all cases

Basic care tips

Weekly maintenance
False-bottom for P. imperator
Choosing the right substrate
Caring for a sling

Reccomendations for purchases/further info

Mention Stan Shultz’s Tarantula Keeper’s Guide and Verdez/Cléton’s french Tarantula care book
Mention Manny Rubio and Orin McMonigle’s Scorpion books
Mention ATS, AB, SF
Mention local pet shop and Tarantula Canada

Feedback appreciated
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts   Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts Empty

Back to top Go down

Local Newspaper article dealing with scorps and Ts
Page 1 of 1