The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Recommended medium sized Species?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cowin8579
Pandinus

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-10-29

Recommended medium sized Species? Empty
PostSubject: Recommended medium sized Species?   Recommended medium sized Species? Empty10/29/2009, 10:24 pm

Hello, my name is Brian. I think this forum is great, and I really enjoy reading the posts by the members. I own three Emperor scorpions. They were supposed to be juvi's, and ended up being large adults; probably wild caught.

They are thriving, but I've got the hunger? I breed Dubia roaches, and am looking for a medium sized species half the size of an Emperor that can take a Dubia roach down, potentially sting it, communal, lower humidity requirements, and not require extreme heat. I will offer a heat source, but I'm hoping for something that doesn't need 85 degrees etc to survive.

I don't know what many of the special look like, or sizes.. and I don't want to see another cricket again. Thank you for your time!

I borrowed this from a Rasputin post. (Aren't you a pickup artist? lol)

Hoffimanus/Vaejovis spinigerous
Centruroides vittatus
Centruroids hentzi

But I wonder if they are too small for what I'm hoping for.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Recommended medium sized Species?   Recommended medium sized Species? Empty10/30/2009, 2:21 am

Paruroctonus would be the available genus you want. They're a little rare but not ridiculously expensive if/when you find them. Off the top of my head, w/out looking anything up, I would say that's what you want - they seem to fit your description to the "T".

"A pickup artist"? If you want to call it that. I can't dig you up any Paruroctonus if nobody's openly selling or trading because what species are in collections are generally being bred so as to make more available in the future.
Back to top Go down
gramps
Centruroides

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2009-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Recommended medium sized Species?   Recommended medium sized Species? Empty10/30/2009, 3:01 am

what about a H. arizonas?

regards sam
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lilgrandad
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Recommended medium sized Species?   Recommended medium sized Species? Empty10/30/2009, 3:19 am

gramps wrote:
what about a H. arizonas?

regards sam

H.az is roughly in the same size group. Paruroctonus have the bigger palps as seen with tanks like the P.imp but sting more than crush and are half the size.
Back to top Go down
Cowin8579
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Recommended medium sized Species?   Recommended medium sized Species? Empty10/30/2009, 10:38 am

Thank you for the posts. Actually Rasputin, that name or avatar name you use is the name of a pretty well known "pickup artist" as mentioned in the book "The Game". They are a group of experts on picked up woman and eliciting attraction. Might be another guy though, but the name reminded me of that. Interesting read.

I thought about H. arizonas, and would probably like them. I'm hoping to do a big smaller, as they are about the size of an Emp. Not a bad choice though.

Also, Rasputin, I will research the species you mentioned. Edit: KentheBugguy appears to have the species, but it is 30 dollars for 3/4 inch scorpion. As you stated, it shouldn't be too expensive. I'm not working with a lot of money right now... Smile

How does the species Hottentotta trilineatus fit into this? I know it is an African species, would that be similar size to a bark scorpion or striped devil scorpion?
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Recommended medium sized Species?   Recommended medium sized Species? Empty10/30/2009, 11:10 am

Well, species of the genus Hottentotta are mid size, if you will, scorps - yes, comparable to the genus Centruroides in length; but larger, of course, than the Hoffimanus/Vaejovis spinigerous.

Rasputin is the last name of a historical Russian figure, Grigory Rasputin, who was properly nicknamed "the saint who sinned" and was nearly impossible to kill (yes, the story line says Grigory was quite the carouser). It's a long story and hard to believe.
Back to top Go down
Cowin8579
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Recommended medium sized Species?   Recommended medium sized Species? Empty10/30/2009, 11:27 am

Wow, a very interesting and complex name with legendary meaning.

I researched that exact species when I was looking at the stock at AJexotics. The genus name is a little interesting. All these species we are discussing look great. Feisty = fun. I am assuming they are all mostly a 2 out of 5 for venom, but that isn't really a concern.

How funny, some people just field collect these species, some pick them up at shows, and I get inverts in the mail. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Recommended medium sized Species?   Recommended medium sized Species? Empty10/30/2009, 11:40 am

I think, if I recall correctly, everything in the genus Hottentotta is a 3 or higher. There are a few species in the genus Centruroides that are, what I would call, a 4+ but they cross the scale from 1-4 depending on species and locale (there is some research being done on C. sculpturatus from varying regions to confirm that scorps from this species of a certain locale that are a 4). The genus Vaejovidae doesn't produce a species over a 2 as far as I've read.
Back to top Go down
Cowin8579
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Recommended medium sized Species?   Recommended medium sized Species? Empty10/30/2009, 11:46 am

Haha. I figured with a genus called Hottentotta, they might be a little hot. My friend found a Arizona bark scorpion, but at the time I wasn't interested. That is one of the hotter barks if I remember correctly.

Hmm I'm not looking for an adrenaline rush. I really like the look of Vaejovis spinigerus but I assume they are extra small?
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Recommended medium sized Species?   Recommended medium sized Species? Empty10/30/2009, 11:57 am

C. sculpturatus is the "hottest" scorp in the states but far from the hottest of the Centruroides. Spinnis are small, not insanely small but smaller.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommended medium sized Species?   Recommended medium sized Species? Empty

Back to top Go down

Recommended medium sized Species?
Page 1 of 1