The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Need help with new scorp.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LtLoquat
Pandinus

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Need help with new scorp. Empty
PostSubject: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 12:18 am

hey guys i have this really really tiny scoprion that's like the size of a dime. ill upload a pic of him in a min. i really need help on how to take care of him guys. please reply. my friend caught it today, it was in a cup at a local resturant. the location is southern oregon like 5 mins north of the oregon california border. please reply quickly i would like to raise him but if i can't get help in time imma just release him. THANX!!
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 12:33 am

It was in a cup? The pix will draw an immediate response, there aren't many species in that region.
Back to top Go down
LtLoquat
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 12:36 am

ya my friend almost served it to someone! was crazy but ya im puttin em on right now. was trying to figure out how to put one on...lol do i put "host image" or "insert image" ?
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 1:07 am

LtLoquat wrote:
ya my friend almost served it to someone! was crazy but ya im puttin em on right now. was trying to figure out how to put one on...lol do i put "host image" or "insert image" ?

Alright, I uploaded the first pic. It's an awfully small pic but I'm gonna throw this one into Mike's court by saying it looks like a Uroctonus when I zoom in really close. The northwest is not my region but that's my guess.

So for all of you wondering, here's the pic of LtLoquat's scorp:

Need help with new scorp. 10250910
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 1:32 am

Juvenile U. mordax. Keep it on the humid side, give it something to burrow in.
Back to top Go down
LtLoquat
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 1:35 am

ok sounds good. I'll prob have more questions tomorrow because i wanna make sure he lives. thanks man
Back to top Go down
LtLoquat
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 1:54 am

about how big will this guy get and how quickly will it grow?
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 4:33 am

about 4" over a couple years to mature
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 11:40 am

Sorry Ras, but adults top out at around 2" including the metasoma. The day I see a 4" U. mordax I'll eat my hat.

But yeah, they take a couple years to mature.

Adult female:

Need help with new scorp. Trip_11

Need help with new scorp. IMG_8934
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 12:45 pm

Mike, I blame you!!! Start taking your pix at the end of the ruler because I overcompensated with the metasoma curled up on last November's SOTM on VL - I'm holding you solely responsible for this one because I haven't slept yet and I reserve that right.

Where the heck did you get such black U. mordax and why don't I have any?
Back to top Go down
LtLoquat
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 8:09 pm

haha very helpful guys. i got the little guy in a deli cup with the cup has holes and i severed the head of a baby cricket for food for him. he seems to only be concerned with hiding in a burrow though. any incentive i can give to make him eat?
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 8:28 pm

Don't worry about it, it's a burrowing species; leave the cricket overnight and discard the remains in the morning (crickets are a renewable resource, haha - I'll laugh harder when they go extinct).

Sorry, I was out cold when you were im-ing me.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 11:42 pm

Rasputin wrote:

Oregon Coast Range. Razz Those found in the Cascades aren't quite as dark, but are close.

If you still have the two babies I sold you in January they should come out a similar color. Their mom was caught in the same locale.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 11:45 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Rasputin wrote:

Oregon Coast Range. Razz Those found in the Cascades aren't quite as dark, but are close.

If you still have the two babies I sold you in January they should come out a similar color. Their mom was caught in the same locale.

The first one passed when I had to move them into the camper with me and the second passed when I moved the animals out of the camper - they were the only casualties surrounding the camper which blew my mind.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/26/2009, 11:48 pm

Sad

I've got some more for sale from this year's broods -- but they haven't been as well-fed as I had around 80 to take care of instead of 26.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/27/2009, 12:12 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Sad

I've got some more for sale from this year's broods -- but they haven't been as well-fed as I had around 80 to take care of instead of 26.

-$$$
I'm broke and am trying to come up with the fundage to acquire some species I want from someone having to leave the hobby for a while.
Back to top Go down
LtLoquat
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/27/2009, 4:55 pm

my sling hasn't eaten in like 2 days. should i be concerned? i took the cricket out this morning which seemed to still be complete. i dont think it ate at all. any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/27/2009, 6:31 pm

Don't worry about it, I've seen slings ignore food for days
Back to top Go down
LtLoquat
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/27/2009, 6:51 pm

ok ya i was hoping he's like a snake and only eats once every few days. im just nervous cuz he's new and dying is NOT an option Razz
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/27/2009, 7:14 pm

Actually, very much like snakes - some species have been known to deny food for months. If yours denies food for more than a week, then I'd be a little concerned - when I had my U. mordax slings, one of them didn't eat for 2wks on a few occasions; this behavior bothered me because I tend to own scorps like myself...high metabolism and constantly stuffing their face (Buthids mainly).
Back to top Go down
LtLoquat
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/27/2009, 7:26 pm

haha ok sounds good. i took the cricket out cuz he was lookin a little expired. should i put another in tonight before dark?
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/27/2009, 7:31 pm

No, give it a couple days and try again
Back to top Go down
LtLoquat
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/27/2009, 7:37 pm

ok im thinking ill get a little larger container in a bit and put some coco fiber in there like the care sheet says. then would maple branches be ok for decoration?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/28/2009, 8:04 am

We're still talking about the mordax? Yeah, I'll ignore mine for weeks at a time and they'll be fine. Sometimes they'll refuse or ignore prey, sometimes they'll attack it.

As for tanks and decor and whatnot, your specimen is pretty small still, so a larger container isn't really necessary (unless you really want to put it in a bigger tank). Maple branches would be fine, just throw them in the oven a bit to prevent bringing in any unpleasant pathogens.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty10/28/2009, 8:07 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
We're still talking about the mordax? Yeah, I'll ignore mine for weeks at a time and they'll be fine. Sometimes they'll refuse or ignore prey, sometimes they'll attack it.

As for tanks and decor and whatnot, your specimen is pretty small still, so a larger container isn't really necessary (unless you really want to put it in a bigger tank). Maple branches would be fine, just throw them in the oven a bit to prevent bringing in any unpleasant pathogens.

Him and I had a convo about this earlier when he showed me his planned setup via webcam. Good setup but too large, told him to give it a few molts and keep it where it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with new scorp.   Need help with new scorp. Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with new scorp.
Page 1 of 1