The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update

Go down 
+5
binksyboy3
gramps
Lester
Rasputin
PaperTiger
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
PaperTiger
Babycurus
PaperTiger

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/25/2009, 12:19 am

Cool, My GF got a glass baking dish I can use for the flighty pair. Supposedly the breeder sex'd then to be female and a male
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/25/2009, 12:28 am

I've heard from a few people that you can't reliably sex this species until mature (or subadult in the case of females, assuming you know for certain the instar).
Back to top Go down
PaperTiger
Babycurus
PaperTiger

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/25/2009, 12:37 am

Not for certain on the instar and your had previously advised on this on my chocolate version some time ago; thanks for the reminder though as it is appreciated,
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/25/2009, 1:05 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
I've heard from a few people that you can't reliably sex this species until mature (or subadult in the case of females, assuming you know for certain the instar).

True. But where does sub-adult start, i4, i5, or i6? I leave for 8mo and apparently missed that memo on sexing a B.jax.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/25/2009, 1:52 am

I call subadult one molt before adult, usually . . . not sure if it's a true technical term.

Anywho, males mature at 5I and females at 6I. You can sex at 5I (mature males or subadult females, if my definition holds) because males will have the bulbous pedipalps and females won't have the thick tail they gain at 6I and will lack the bulbous pedipalps of a male.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/25/2009, 2:59 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
I call subadult one molt before adult, usually . . . not sure if it's a true technical term.

Anywho, males mature at 5I and females at 6I. You can sex at 5I (mature males or subadult females, if my definition holds) because males will have the bulbous pedipalps and females won't have the thick tail they gain at 6I and will lack the bulbous pedipalps of a male.

That's right, I forgot that the pectine count was not really here nor there with B.jax for sexing purposes. On that note...I'm going to go against your intuition and temp (temporarily) sex this sub-adult as female (I've decided this after close inspection of the pix and it's size - again, this is a temp sexing. Drop us a current pic of the other so I can be proven right or wrong on this).
Back to top Go down
PaperTiger
Babycurus
PaperTiger

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/25/2009, 3:06 am

Rasputin wrote:
Mr. Mordax wrote:

That's right, I forgot that the pectine count was not really here nor there with B.jax for sexing purposes. On that note...I'm going to go against your intuition and temp (temporarily) sex this sub-adult as female (I've decided this after close inspection of the pix and it's size - again, this is a temp sexing. Drop us a current pic of the other so I can be proven right or wrong on this).

Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Img_5711

This is the other one
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/25/2009, 4:53 am

hmm, I want to say that my blind guess based on size compared to a penny still stands but I'm going to stand back and say I need more pix of the one above before I maintain it further. I'll mention that the PDF that's referenced in the care sheet put up last year only has pix of a "sub-adult" female. For further detailed info on the genus, including holotype descriptions between male and female check out the revision by FrantiÅ¡ek Kovařík HERE.
Back to top Go down
PaperTiger
Babycurus
PaperTiger

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/26/2009, 12:40 am

Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Img_6010

I found this when I got up tonight; this is the supposed mate to the other of which just molted and a picture was requested for by Ras.

Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Img_6011

Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Img_6012

Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Img_6013

This is the comparing of the two and, the molts of both; the one on the right, is the one that just recently molted today. I talked with the dealer and they sex them by pectine and body.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/26/2009, 1:22 am

Pectines overlap with this species but my guess is that he sexed the one that just molted as a male and the other as a female (at least that's what I'm saying for now).

We should run this as a long contest on the forum. "Guess the sex of PaperTiger's B.jax"
Back to top Go down
PaperTiger
Babycurus
PaperTiger

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/26/2009, 2:29 am

Yup, thats what I'm thinking too. Probably shoulda put it in the "sex a scorp" section...lol
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/26/2009, 3:16 am

PaperTiger wrote:
Yup, thats what I'm thinking too. Probably shoulda put it in the "sex a scorp" section...lol

Was my guess right about how the sex you were told by the dealer? Who did you get them from btw?
Back to top Go down
PaperTiger
Babycurus
PaperTiger

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/26/2009, 3:50 am

They (Tarantula Inc./Cornhusker State) could not remember what they had sent; they just informed me how they determine the sex for future reference.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty10/26/2009, 4:24 am

PaperTiger wrote:
They (Tarantula Inc./Cornhusker State) could not remember what they had sent; they just informed me how they determine the sex for future reference.

That explains a bit
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty11/2/2009, 7:29 pm

Great captures PaperTiger Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Arachnid Steve
Hadogenes
Arachnid Steve

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty11/4/2009, 3:35 am

When it comes to pics, you are the man. We're both in IL, maybe I can get a first hand look of some of your scorps someday, set-ups too, probably be good for a beginner like me.
Back to top Go down
PaperTiger
Babycurus
PaperTiger

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty11/6/2009, 5:43 am

Arachnid Steve wrote:
When it comes to pics, you are the man. We're both in IL, maybe I can get a first hand look of some of your scorps someday, set-ups too, probably be good for a beginner like me.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I need to get a Canon Rebel and then the pictures will literally speak of my favorite hobby.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update   Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Babycurus jacksoni molting (pix heavy) update
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2