The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni

Go down 
+6
Bayss
RyoKenzaki
bjaeger
Mr. Mordax
scorpling~
LXDNG79
10 posters
AuthorMessage
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty
PostSubject: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty2/27/2009, 6:11 pm

My first experience with the ever popular B. jacksoni. Came highly recommended by experts and beginners far and wide. Foriegn scorps are hard to come by here. The only scorpions you are likely to see in Malaysian pet-stores are H. spinifer, though there was that random Lieurus that I chanced upon. So many thanks to my pal Adam who gave me this beauty; bred from a pair acquired from our very rafiqos. He originally gave me 2 but 1 miraculously kicked the bucket just as I was about to make the transfer. Gonna bug him to get me another. I'll gladly pay him even after I originally exchanged these two for 4 L. australasiae. And my reason would be; just as everyone might have discovered, these babies are just awefully georgeous.

My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Bj10

In stills, their coloration in slings amounts to everything that is not a Rhopalurus junceus. In real life I must say, they have the most beautiful personality I've yet to encounter in scorpions. Not at all aggressive when nugded, they remain enduringly placid. Best candidate for a family-friendly Buthid. The only time I saw this guy raise his sting was when he wet for the cricket leg that i offtered him. I was trying all day with chopped mealworms with very little response, But when just put lowered a pari of twezers holding a cricket leg in front of him, he literally leapt 2 cm foward and got down to business, claws, sting and all. Which leads me to believe they have either a keen sense of smell or even vision.

Last edited by LXDNG79 on 4/27/2009, 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scorpling~
Centruroides
scorpling~

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty2/28/2009, 8:25 am

the coloration is really2 amazing.. can i see it someday?? Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty2/28/2009, 2:12 pm

That picture just instantly makes me think of a little kid at Thanksgiving wanting a huge drumstick all to himself. Razz
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty3/1/2009, 4:15 pm

scorpling~ wrote:
the coloration is really2 amazing.. can i see it someday?? Smile

Yea sure, since we live in the same locale... drop me a pm

After that cricket leg and half a meal worm. He's now plump as a turkey lol. Hope he molts soon.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty3/1/2009, 7:03 pm

LXDNG79 wrote:
In stills, their coloration in slings amounts to everything that is not a Rhopalurus junceus. In real life I must say, they have the most beautiful personality I've yet to encounter in scorpions. Not at all aggressive when nugded, they remain enduringly placid. Best candidate for a family-friendly Buthid. The only time I saw this guy raise his sting was when he wet for the cricket leg that i offtered him. I was trying all day with chopped mealworms with very little response, But when just put lowered a pari of twezers holding a cricket leg in front of him, he literally leapt 2 cm foward and got down to business, claws, sting and all. Which leads me to believe they have either a keen sense of smell or even vision.
Yup. Those are the two things that I like about B. jacksoni, the coloration and their non-aggressive personality. My Death Stalkers almost seem to be the same way (aside from them bolting off quickly).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty3/1/2009, 10:44 pm

Alex, possibly2 let me have a look during the gathering? Haha
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty3/1/2009, 11:02 pm

I'm so glad you got one LXD! They truly are one of the most beautiful scorpions in my opinion. The best part is their personality, but don't underestimate them...they are calm and will play dead..and then BAM...they will shoot across the container. Miine are used to pinhead crickets and your baby could easily take a pinhead down. That is what makes these fun to feed...they will latch onto prey and sting it. I'm getting mine switched over to roaches instead of crickets. They took awhile to know what to do with the raoch...lol...they have figured it out, but it was a lot of fun watching them roll around looking for a spot to sting it. I can feed one roach nymph a week as opposed to 2 pinheads..plus I like my roach colony way more than a box of stinky jumpy crickets. All but one of my eight b. jacksoni have molted to 4i...the last one is super fat now. They get nice and plump and then will molt.

I keep mine in a small container with a piece of cork tile leaned against the side. They need the bark piece vertical to molt. A thin layer of coco fiber that I keep moist on the side with the cork. Almost all have molted on the underside or topside of the bark...one molted on the substrate. I keep the containers at 85F to 90F...30C to 33C with visible condensation on the sides. This will speed up the molts and has worked well so far. Good Luck...you'll love that little guy.
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty3/2/2009, 2:50 pm

thanks bays, thing about pinheads is they don't sell them here in Malaysia. I tried breeding them just to get pinheads but its just filthy and they succumb to the onslaught of ants. I'm waiting on some dubias from rafiqos to start my own roach colony.

Right now, I'm stuck with chopped mealworms and cricket legs. would like to see your communal setup when your scorps are grown.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty3/2/2009, 6:31 pm

wow that is beautiful. congrats on the new addition.. me want lol!
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty3/2/2009, 9:12 pm

Alex, usually u buy cricket from local fish shop, beside the crix box there is a phone number of the crix supplier
U can actually call them to order pinhead crix if im nt mistaken
But then again, they die easily, i rather stick to my own breed baby mealworm
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty3/3/2009, 10:47 am

Nice addition would love to see stuff like that over here
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty3/7/2009, 4:33 pm

Here are some shots of one of the red morphs at 4i that a friend took with a better camera.
My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Redjax10

Check out the eyes!
My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Redjax11
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty4/28/2009, 5:45 pm

Here are some newer pics of my B. jacksoni. After molting to 3i, a scuffle with a roach left it with the upper tooth of its left chela and the tip of its oculus broken.

My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni 4i

I was kind of upset because I was that these don’t tend to regenerate. Nonetheless, I was delightfully appeased at 4i when I noticed a considerable degree of 4regeneration.

My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni 4i2

He may be good as new on the next moult.

My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni 4i3
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty4/28/2009, 11:14 pm

LXDNG79 wrote:
In real life I must say, they have the most beautiful personality I've yet to encounter in scorpions. Not at all aggressive when nugded, they remain enduringly placid. Best candidate for a family-friendly Buthid. The only time I saw this guy raise his sting was when he wet for the cricket leg that i offtered him. I was trying all day with chopped mealworms with very little response, But when just put lowered a pari of twezers holding a cricket leg in front of him, he literally leapt 2 cm foward and got down to business, claws, sting and all. Which leads me to believe they have either a keen sense of smell or even vision.
Their personality, coloration, and feeding habits are what makes them my favorite scorp Very Happy

I miss housing them individually b/c I never get to see them eat anymore Sad

I can't wait until my female pops! These scorps are so fun to raise!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty4/29/2009, 7:11 am

they are amazing looking scorps! i really wish i could add some to my collection! they truly do sound like a great scorp to own!
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty4/29/2009, 9:31 am

Deathstalker wrote:
they are amazing looking scorps! i really wish i could add some to my collection! they truly do sound like a great scorp to own!

This species is undoubtedly must for every scorp enthusiasts. Whether your in from Emps to Lqs.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty4/29/2009, 10:12 am

LXDNG79 wrote:
Deathstalker wrote:

This species is undoubtedly must for every scorp enthusiasts. Whether your in from Emps to Lqs.

Ever wonder why i have around 20 of them ?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty4/29/2009, 12:05 pm

They were really the "in" scorpion a couple years ago . . . I bought five juvies with the hope of starting a breeding colony, but it failed miserably. Sad
Back to top Go down
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty4/29/2009, 5:08 pm

Crying or Very sad sorry to hear that! unfortunaly the B.jacksoni is a buthid so requires a DWA here in the sunny uk!!
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty5/1/2009, 1:46 am

I have had 8 of mine make it to 5i now. One is just 3i, but looking chubby. These are by far my favorite scorpion...get some if you can!
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty6/6/2009, 8:25 pm

Pictures of Sonny's new home - a betta keeper made to scorp specificatiosn with specially chosen bark and wood pieces.
My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Bjsetupfront2

This turned out to be his hide of choice; really snug for his size. Sometimes he likes lurking behind the other vertical bark
My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Bjsetupbcka
The condensation blurred up this pic
My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Bj4icurl
the UV shot
My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Bj4iuv

Finally at 5th instar - noticeable size difference
My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Bj5i1
Chelas spreadout for the prowl
My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Bj5i2

Is this adult size?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty6/7/2009, 12:33 am

Nope -- looks like you've got a female with one molt to go.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty6/7/2009, 4:20 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Nope -- looks like you've got a female with one molt to go.

You cant tell sex untill they have had they finaly adult molt, trust me i thougt i had a female, looked the same like the ones one the picture.. then bam! huge chela Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty6/7/2009, 1:36 pm

Yeah, but males mature at 5I with this species -- so if it were a male, it would already have the huge chela. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni   My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni Empty

Back to top Go down

My Very 1st Babycurus jacksoni
Page 1 of 1