The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Bark for C. vittatus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Drasar
Pandinus
Drasar

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-08-19

Bark for C. vittatus Empty
PostSubject: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty8/20/2009, 12:45 pm

I'm getting ready to set up a 10 gal enclosure for about eight C. vittatus and I was wondering about how big a vertical bark hide to put in it. Gonna go down by the lake and get a few rocks and stuff too. Cool

Last edited by Drasar on 9/25/2009, 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty8/20/2009, 9:57 pm

Split from the old thread 'cause it was ridiculously old, gravedigging is against the rules, and it was a new question anyway.

Anywho . . .

I'd say get two pieces of bark, maybe about the size of an outspread hand.
Back to top Go down
Drasar
Pandinus
Drasar

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty8/21/2009, 12:43 am

Thanks Smile I'll try and get the bark and a few cool rocks tomorrow. Can't wait to get them.
Back to top Go down
Drasar
Pandinus
Drasar

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/21/2009, 5:59 pm

I was also wondering if instead of actual bark I could use a couple of those large resin halflog hides in more or less standing positions?...and it's a 20 gal long enclosure that I've decided to put them in BTW. Cool
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/21/2009, 8:16 pm

As long as the scorps can climb them, it should work fine. It really just boils down to aesthetics; you could use discarded plywood and paper towel tubes if you really felt like it.
Back to top Go down
Drasar
Pandinus
Drasar

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/21/2009, 10:41 pm

Perfect...exactly what I wanted to hear Very Happy ...I've tried to peel some chunks of bark off of a couple of the trees around my house but they just split into little pieces...I'll put two of the halflog hides I got for when some of the last of my Tarantula Slings were big enough to put into 10 Gal. tanks into the Vits enclosure and replace them ASAP...should be gettin' my new Scorps tomorrow...Can't wait Very Happy Thanks Man
Back to top Go down
Azreal
Hadogenes
Azreal

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2009-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/22/2009, 5:00 pm

If you cant get bark from your house you could always try going to some kind of park assuming the parks near you have trees of course...
Back to top Go down
Drasar
Pandinus
Drasar

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/22/2009, 5:47 pm

I'm in Texas...most of the trees around here are very thinbarked...i used the resin hides for now, I'll have to get some bark when I go somewhere with a good selection... Smile
Back to top Go down
Azreal
Hadogenes
Azreal

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/24/2009, 4:54 pm

ah I have never been to Texas so I didnt realize the trees had thin skins lol. The north doesnt have many trees either? It seems Jacksboro is pretty close to Oklahoma maybe try there?
Back to top Go down
Drasar
Pandinus
Drasar

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/24/2009, 7:28 pm

I will if I ever go there but it seems like the resin Halflog hides are working okay for now so I'm not in a big hurry to get it anymore...Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Azreal
Hadogenes
Azreal

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/24/2009, 7:38 pm

yea I dont blame you lol and if it works well it works:)
Back to top Go down
Drasar
Pandinus
Drasar

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/25/2009, 12:40 am

Yeah...now if only they would hurry up and grow, they are so small I have a Devil of a time even finding them in the enclosure...most of the time I have to use a Blacklight.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/25/2009, 4:06 pm

^Does that mean you're keeping juveniles communally? I wouldn't advise that -- they're known to be quite cannibalistic around molts.
Back to top Go down
Drasar
Pandinus
Drasar

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/25/2009, 5:56 pm

Actually they are 2nd instars......
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/25/2009, 6:06 pm

. . . Those would be considered juveniles. Razz

I would suggest separating them.
Back to top Go down
Drasar
Pandinus
Drasar

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/25/2009, 8:08 pm

Yeah..One of the reasons I got this species is because my Scorp book said they were communal and noncannibalistic Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/25/2009, 9:09 pm

The adults are . . . just not juveniles.

The juvies are fine until someone molts.
Back to top Go down
Drasar
Pandinus
Drasar

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/25/2009, 10:51 pm

Kinda the way it is with people too Laughing but seriously thanks for the warning...are these guys concidered fast growers for scorps? My Imps took forever to get big and they wer like 2"-2.5" when I got them. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty9/26/2009, 1:43 pm

IIRC, most barks mature within a year if kept at the correct temperatures. (In other words, my T. stigmurus aren't warm enough Razz).

Forest scorpions typically take a few years to reach maturity.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bark for C. vittatus   Bark for C. vittatus Empty

Back to top Go down

Bark for C. vittatus
Page 1 of 1