The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

generic questions about scorpions

Go down 
+5
The-Scorp-Whisperer
*Connie*
scorpion111
Venom
2xw
9 posters
AuthorMessage
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-07-26

generic questions about scorpions Empty
PostSubject: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/29/2009, 12:44 am

but mostly about my emporer so ill put it here.....
These are things ive been having trouble actually finding specific answers to, maybe im googling the wrong things.....

So do scorpions "sleep" or just rest.... some times when the scorpion has been touched by mr uncatachablecricket it has reared up, raising its claws into the air and swinging them about, moving them in different directions, but sometimes, when by the heater or in the burrow, it doesnt bother, or just twitches slightly. So is it perhaps asleep?

Do they have body rythms like us and are they territorial to some extent? Cos mine, somehow at almost exactly half one both nights, has got out of its burrow, walked around the perimeter of the tank scratching the walls, then sat on top of the hide, waving its claws. So do they have routines?

And lastly i know it sounds weird but how often do they poo.... the same amount they eat, or what?

These arnt meant to be difficult questions or w.e im just trying to understand my "pet" better
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/29/2009, 1:08 am

They're not like humans where they have counscience and uncounscienceness.

They either move or don't... they can rest for long periods of time without moving a muscle then all of a sudden a movement catches their attention and they snap right away.

Sometimes they're not hungry and let the cricket walk on it.

They could be moving their "hands" around to sense for movements.

They emit pheremones which they use to see where they have gone, make trails, and what not.

They poo depending on how much they eat.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/29/2009, 2:48 am

what venom said.. they don't require "sleep" or such. they aren't what I think you would call territorial.. but they have thier own little area around thier/burrow hide.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/29/2009, 2:56 am

You will find that most new scorpions soon settle down and dont even venture out at night when you stay awake to see movement.
Like clockwork my adult and female would come out at 11pm.
but that soon stopped and never was I to hear the click clack when they reached the other end of the tank and back round again etc.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/29/2009, 9:32 am

haha, the fact that scorpions are mainly nocturnal is one of the reasons i got it. Sleping 2 hours a night gets pretty lonely Sad
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/30/2009, 10:18 pm

i find that my forest, emperor and arizona hairy like to come out during the day a lot its wierd specially the arizona seing as in the wild it would die if it came out during the day
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/30/2009, 10:47 pm

hmmm my Spinifers, Spinigerus and C.Hentzi all came out at night...
and my C.Margaritatus came out when they want to... theres no actual schedule for them...
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/30/2009, 10:49 pm

yeah same with my emps. forests n arizonas, the wierd thing is my forests always do a lap of the tank then climb up the door frame at the front n shimmy across the underside of the lid just with their hands, but cause the females had nearly a year of practice she can go a lot further and hang on longer than the male who i only got 2 weeks ago lol
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/30/2009, 10:54 pm

Yes my emp does that, sometimes claws it way between the grille at the top and the climb film slightly above it, which ripped the whole thing down, i did NOT wnat it to get caught in this so had to do some funnt things with sellotape.

And maybe your arizona comes out becuase it "knows" theres nothing there to hurt it... Perhaps it doesnt sense any vibrations or a lot less than it would in the wild anywho...
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/30/2009, 10:56 pm

yeah i meant that if it comes out during the day it would die of exposure cause it can get to over 60C in the open in some parts of the arizona desert i hear which could cook them never mind just killing them lol or maybe it realises its living in scotland now n knows the chances of any sun at all here are pretty slim Laughing
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/30/2009, 10:59 pm

OH well excuse my non-knowledge. lol sorry bout that
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/30/2009, 11:01 pm

lol nae worries, spose the predation thing would maybe be a factor if it does in fact realise its in a plastic tub :hmmm: lol aw well, i better get away tae my kip we shall resume in the 'morro Razz
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/30/2009, 11:15 pm

aye not a worry, have good sleep mate
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/31/2009, 10:12 am

yeah to resume the convo from last night, i wonder why some scorps like to come out suring the day a lot and some stick to coming out at night and why they seem to have a routine of stuff they do as they do laps of the tank or tub
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/31/2009, 11:39 am

Perhaps different pray during the day.. crickets in the evening and day? roaches i think at night? I dont knw. Myabe just evolution. Or environment would be a key factor i presume
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/31/2009, 4:00 pm

how come you only get 2 hours of sleep a night?
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/31/2009, 4:31 pm

2xw wrote:
Perhaps different pray during the day.. crickets in the evening and day? roaches i think at night? I dont knw. Myabe just evolution. Or environment would be a key factor i presume

Never thought about it that way and it kinda makes sense maybe most come out at night or day because of a more different veriety of food insects some that come out during the day in some areas may be better for them or have more meat on them than what comes out at night and vice versa or perhaps they might even have a preference you never know lol
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty7/31/2009, 7:40 pm

Quote :
how come you only get 2 hours of sleep a night?

Im a chronic insomniac Sad

and yeah i thought they may rely on insect times maybe, or even humidity if they live in the jungle. Emporers arnt desert scorpions are they, perhaps in the jungle or woodlan insects come out of the canopy to feed, or just come out to feed on the numerous detritivores that feqauent these places
Back to top Go down
Drasar
Pandinus
Drasar

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-08-19

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty8/19/2009, 8:18 pm

I thought the reason they didn't come out during the day was because ultra violet light would kill them confused
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty8/19/2009, 9:24 pm

Good point, but i think maybe UVs dont kill the scorps entirely... they just stress them, shortening their lifespan.
But this i from UV only lamps, and its when theyre in the dark they glow better under UV. Pure Uv light might make me depressed if i thought the sun was shining in the middle of the night.

Obviously in the day, theres the whole spectrum of light, UV lights produce way more UV and UVB than the sun does, which is why sunbeds will tan you in like ten minutes
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty8/19/2009, 10:43 pm

It takes a LOT of UV light to kill a scorp. The biggest reason is probably to avoid being eaten by meerkats.
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty8/19/2009, 10:44 pm

i thought emps were a jungle scorp?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty8/19/2009, 10:59 pm

And savanna. Meerkats were just a rhetorical predator.
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty8/19/2009, 11:01 pm

Oh i see. My apologies for not reading betwee the lines of that.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty8/19/2009, 11:33 pm

No worries. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: generic questions about scorpions   generic questions about scorpions Empty

Back to top Go down

generic questions about scorpions
Page 1 of 1