The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

how to deal with wild caught specimen?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
junshern222
Centruroides

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-11-25

how to deal with wild caught specimen? Empty
PostSubject: how to deal with wild caught specimen?   how to deal with wild caught specimen? Empty7/27/2009, 10:56 am

recently i have purchased this tarantula from a friend,which was a wild caught specimen,from thailand according to the supplier.the tarantula dont really do well in captivity,being a burrower,i expect her to burrow or staying on subatrate,instead she stayed at the corner of the top of the guppy tank.any idea from u guys to make her settle down?she was not eating too since i got her.i tried prekilled crickets.i need some advice from friends here who tried before keeping wild caught specimens,thanks Rolling Eyes
how to deal with wild caught specimen? 3753387631_fa6dd13656
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: how to deal with wild caught specimen?   how to deal with wild caught specimen? Empty7/27/2009, 11:06 am

Just leave her be to settle in, Haplopelma quite often climb to start with, my H.lividum lived in the corner of her tank for a few days before she dissapeared under the substrate lol
Aslong as the substrate isnt too damp or too dry you should be fine
Back to top Go down
junshern222
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: how to deal with wild caught specimen?   how to deal with wild caught specimen? Empty7/27/2009, 11:09 am

do you see any premoult sign from the photo above lycanlord?
cause im thinking of trying her with live crickets.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: how to deal with wild caught specimen?   how to deal with wild caught specimen? Empty7/27/2009, 3:13 pm

Doesnt look like pre molt to me no, Her abdomen looks normal live crickets will be fine.
May I ask why you were offering pre kill?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: how to deal with wild caught specimen?   how to deal with wild caught specimen? Empty7/27/2009, 8:35 pm

Most Ts won't take prekilled that I'm aware of. Give it a few days to get settled in and then try.
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: how to deal with wild caught specimen?   how to deal with wild caught specimen? Empty7/28/2009, 9:57 am

some T's take carrion...but yeah the movement is usually what draws them.
i've had success with spiderlings on prekilled prey but don't usually try with adults.
apparently pre-killed maggots are fine though for most T's, i *think*
yuck though Smile

anyways to do with this spider, she looks pretty well, yeah let her settle in for a bit...feeding a few crickets might stimulate her to eat and thus lay some silk down. i have a slight theory that this may aid their settling in period, because they've already laid some silk, so it starts to "smell" (wrong word!) like home. pardon the slight anthropomorphisation there, but i think the analogy holds in this case.

so yeah, try some live! she'll probably feel alot more settled with a full belly and some familiar silk under her!

...and then she'll dig and you won't see her for months haha! gotta love the pet holes Wink
Back to top Go down
junshern222
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: how to deal with wild caught specimen?   how to deal with wild caught specimen? Empty7/28/2009, 10:37 am

haha,i wish i could see pet holes.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
redknee
Tityus

Number of posts : 662
Location : Sw. Georgia, Home of the Hentzi King and the C. hentzi army
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: how to deal with wild caught specimen?   how to deal with wild caught specimen? Empty7/28/2009, 4:06 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Most Ts won't take prekilled that I'm aware of. Give it a few days to get settled in and then try.
I agree with Mike, but that is only going by my experiece with keep T's. All of mine hadn't taken pre-kill from what i can recall,excapt slings

That H. a you have sure looks good to me. I wish i still had my male.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to deal with wild caught specimen?   how to deal with wild caught specimen? Empty

Back to top Go down

how to deal with wild caught specimen?
Page 1 of 1