The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

ID Turkish specimen

Go down 
+2
shaneshac
john@dalrymple.me.uk
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john@dalrymple.me.uk
Pandinus

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-05-14

ID Turkish specimen Empty
PostSubject: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty5/14/2013, 9:20 am

My son reckons this is Androctonus crassicauda. About 8-10cm long, found on lightly wooded mountainside in W Turkey near Fethiye. Is he right? the tail doesn't look very fat to me.

ID Turkish specimen 8731927263_6843ff55c6_o
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty5/14/2013, 9:47 am

Looks more like Euscorpius concinnus
Back to top Go down
john@dalrymple.me.uk
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty5/14/2013, 10:47 am

Thanks for replying. Looking at Wikipedia (I know, a poor source) they are up to 5cm. I'm sure this was a good bit bigger than that, maybe it's just my poor memory!
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

PostSubject: Re: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty5/14/2013, 10:56 am

Pincers look too large, body too short and round and tail too thin for it to be Androctonus

Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty5/16/2013, 5:06 pm

It is almost definitely Protoiurus kraepelini. According to the paper by Kovarik et al http://www.science.marshall.edu/fet/euscorpius/p2012_143.pdf this is the species of Iurus/Protoiurus found in this part of Turkey.

It's absolutely definitely an Iurus/Protoiurus spp. anyway.

Awesome find. This is my favourite species of scorpion.
Back to top Go down
chrisc
Centruroides
chrisc

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2013-02-12

PostSubject: Re: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty5/16/2013, 11:57 pm

i agree it does look like a Protoiurus sp but it's very dark compared to the one i have.
is there much colour variation with these scorpion's?
this is my Protoiurus kraepelini, the body is much lighter than the one you found
ID Turkish specimen DSCF0080_zps27c26ddc
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty5/17/2013, 2:58 am

Is yours a juvenile/sub-adult Chris? My young'uns have a lighter colouration than my adults, and going by the size stated of the one pictured in the original post it's probably an adult. Colour also seems to vary slightly between individuals.

Adult

ID Turkish specimen Iurus2

Adult

ID Turkish specimen Iurus4

3i with mum

ID Turkish specimen DSCN0820
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

PostSubject: Re: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty5/17/2013, 3:36 am

Great looking scorpions! Didnt know this species existed in Turkey.
Back to top Go down
john@dalrymple.me.uk
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty5/17/2013, 4:33 am

Thanks for all this info guys. The locals in the area only seem to recognize black scorpions and brown ones and say that stings from the black ones are the worst. They definitely hospitalise people, a guy we met had camped with some friends and one had just got out of hospital after a bite from one that had gotten into their tent. Could this species be the culprit?

Last edited by john@dalrymple.me.uk on 5/17/2013, 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chrisc
Centruroides
chrisc

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2013-02-12

PostSubject: Re: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty5/17/2013, 5:03 am

Not sure on its age i bought a friends collection an he didnt even know what it was guessing its a juvi though as its only about 2-2 1/2" long.
My friend got stung by it on the finger an said within 10 minutes his arm up to his elbow swelled up loads an was extremley painfull
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty5/18/2013, 11:20 pm

john@dalrymple.me.uk wrote:
Thanks for all this info guys. The locals in the area only seem to recognize black scorpions and brown ones and say that stings from the black ones are the worst. They definitely hospitalise people, a guy we met had camped with some friends and one had just got out of hospital after a bite from one that had gotten into their tent. Could this species be the culprit?

The short answer is that no, that particular species of scorpion is not the "culprit."

The long answer is that the medical significance of scorpions has been greatly exaggerated to the point of where people judge toxicity based on color, size, and even that it's simply as scorpion. That's not to say there aren't potentially dangerous scorpions, there are. However, only about 25-30 of around the 1,500-2,000 species described are considered medically significant. The genera that contain medically significant species are Androctonus, Buthus, Centruroides, Hottentotta, Leiurus, Mesobuthus, Parabuthus, Rhopalurus, and Tityus. There are two non-buthid species that are medically significant. These are Hemiscorpius lepturus (venom has a strong necrotic effect) and Nebo hierochonticus. The venom of the latter has reportedly caused hemorrhaging and necrosis in mice. . . however, the effects of the sting of this species on humans may be totally negligible.

Just because a scorpion is black does not mean that it's dangerous.

An easy way to roughly determine how "dangerous" a scorpion is would be to look at the size ratio of the telson/metasoma to the chela/pedipalps.

Scorpions with larger pedipalps and a relatively small metasoma tend to be relatively harmless; they use their pedipalps to crush their prey and defend themselves much more than they use their venom; hence their metasomas are smaller and their venom less toxic.

On the other hand, scorpions with small pedipalps and large metasomas tend to have more toxic venom, hence they use their venom for prey capture and defense much more readily.

Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
john@dalrymple.me.uk
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty5/19/2013, 4:07 am

Thanks for spending the time to give that detailed answer. These creatures get a "bad press" in the area and a probably little understood by the locals. I got the feeling that they were all treated as pests.
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty5/19/2013, 7:48 am

john@dalrymple.me.uk wrote:
Thanks for spending the time to give that detailed answer. These creatures get a "bad press" in the area and a probably little understood by the locals. I got the feeling that they were all treated as pests.

Scorpions are reacted to like that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ID Turkish specimen   ID Turkish specimen Empty

Back to top Go down

ID Turkish specimen
Page 1 of 1