The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?

Go down 
+3
Kejser
*Connie*
jamielynn22
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jamielynn22
Pandinus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Do Scorpions glow when they are dead? Empty
PostSubject: Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?   Do Scorpions glow when they are dead? Empty7/13/2009, 6:11 pm

Ok several months ago we added a desert hairy scorpion to our family:) we already have 2 emperor scorpions that are doing great, but we haven't seen our desert hairy in almost 2 weeks, my husband thought he might be shedding and its normal not to see them for awhile but I decided today to find him, and i dug up his whole cage and he is nowhere to be found! there is a cricket in there so my question...............Do they still glow when they are dead? can a cricket eat one in a week or two? can he climb a glass cage and get out? we had a screen lid with a heavy tile on the top. HELP!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?   Do Scorpions glow when they are dead? Empty7/13/2009, 7:23 pm

Well a cricket isnt going to eat him or at least ALL of him. He MUST be in there if you had a lid with a heavy tile on top.
Maybe you dug him out by mistake?
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
jamielynn22
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?   Do Scorpions glow when they are dead? Empty7/13/2009, 7:30 pm

I only removed the rocks and sifted the dirt. and used the UV and nothing glowed. I have no clue how he could of got out unless he has super strength:)
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?   Do Scorpions glow when they are dead? Empty7/13/2009, 7:44 pm

Scorps do glow after they are dead..

but mate grab a spoon and start digging carefully for your scorpion iam pretty sure you will find it.. Very Happy Hadrurus sp are known to dig deep burrows in the wild Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jamielynn22
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?   Do Scorpions glow when they are dead? Empty7/13/2009, 8:03 pm

ok i'm back from another round of digging and still no scorpion i went all the way to the glass with a sifting spoon. next step is to dump it outside and see? i guess we will have to uv the house tonight, the thought of him getting in my babies crib freaks me out, If its been a week though I'm guessing he might be dead
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?   Do Scorpions glow when they are dead? Empty7/13/2009, 11:03 pm

Scorps are survivors -- a week out of its habitat isn't going to kill it. And Hadrurus spp. aren't dangerous (or very good climbers), so if it does get into your kid's crib, it'll just hurt a lot.
Back to top Go down
PaperTiger
Babycurus
PaperTiger

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?   Do Scorpions glow when they are dead? Empty7/13/2009, 11:36 pm

With the "week out of it's habitat" how long will it survive traveling?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?   Do Scorpions glow when they are dead? Empty7/14/2009, 1:02 am

If it's an H. arizonensis, it's not gonna dry out -- so I'd say a pretty long time.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?   Do Scorpions glow when they are dead? Empty7/14/2009, 7:47 am

let me tell you a story.
last year I bought 3 scorpions to gether. The male died. there were two females left. One had made a burrow one side and the other side was the other female.
the left side burrow VANISHED! without a trace.
GONE! I searched and realised it must have been a case of being eaten by the tank mate....for months just thought I had ONE...and low and behold the other week I saw them BOTH! so they can burrow down deep and stay there a long long time!

You want to sift out all the substrate gently and I bet at the bottom you will find your scorpion
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
pandinus
Hadogenes
pandinus

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?   Do Scorpions glow when they are dead? Empty7/14/2009, 3:49 pm

it is perfectly normal not to see these guys for months at a time and it can be very dangerous sifting substrate to try and find them, as you could accidently collapse a tunnel and cause a great deal of unneccessary stress or god forbid accidently crush them under a burried decoration. it is a very stressfull ordeal for the scorpion to be dug up so it should really only be done in cases of emergency or for examination or sanitation purposes. having said that, yes scorpions glow after death and even fossilized specimens of scorpions that are millions of years old still glow under UV light.

be careful sifting through that substrate, he's probably going to be PISSSED and looking for a thumb to take it out on.

John
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EKS_arachnid_society/
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?   Do Scorpions glow when they are dead? Empty7/15/2009, 7:59 am

i'd also say it's best left alone if there's any chance of it moulting!
i am bad at taking my own advice though... Embarassed
there's every chance you won't see it for ages, then one evening you'll hear clicking and see it trying to climb out but failing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?   Do Scorpions glow when they are dead? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do Scorpions glow when they are dead?
Page 1 of 1