The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

S. Maurus Palmatus setup.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Empty
PostSubject: S. Maurus Palmatus setup.   S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Empty6/8/2009, 9:00 pm

Was just browsing arachno addicts forum and saw someones post about their S. Maurus Palamatus and the tub had a lot of water on thesides and hte substrate was pretty damp and looked liek that al the way thru from waht i could see.

Ive been keeping mines on kind of gravely sand thats completely dry and was wondering if this persosn setup of damp sand and wet sides is correct (it probably is cause i think shes also a member here)
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: S. Maurus Palmatus setup.   S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Empty6/9/2009, 11:46 am

yeah, Scorpio maurus are to be kept on more damp substrate that other desert species. I'm not sure why though.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: S. Maurus Palmatus setup.   S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Empty6/9/2009, 11:48 am

crap! better get spraying then!

What sort of humidity do they need?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: S. Maurus Palmatus setup.   S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Empty6/9/2009, 11:49 am

I'm not too sure.. I think most folk just keep like a third of the tank a tad damp.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: S. Maurus Palmatus setup.   S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Empty6/9/2009, 11:50 am

klkl cheers, and a water dish too yeah, need to find it its completely buried it with all the digging its been doing lol, u any good at sexing this species aye?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: S. Maurus Palmatus setup.   S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Empty6/9/2009, 11:53 am

hmmm.. from wht I can remeber on other sites, this is a hard species do sex. wait, I just found it.. try to get a really clear shot of the genital operculum.

edit; here's the guide thing; https://2img.net/h/i188.photobucket.com/albums/z161/jeroenkooijman/maurus.jpg
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: S. Maurus Palmatus setup.   S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Empty6/9/2009, 12:03 pm

Here u go:

S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Sdc12755d

Whiel im here can u maybe try n sex my Hadrurus Arizonensis its got a great foto but the only one i have right now.

S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Sdc12746n

Cheers mate.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: S. Maurus Palmatus setup.   S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Empty6/9/2009, 1:56 pm

scorpio maurus, although desert sp need a higher humidity than their other desert based cousins. In the wild they dig incredibly deep burrows to reach a humidity of around 60-70ish %.
As far as I know they are not susceptible to mycosis.

Most people think they need to be dry and end up losing them.

So create a humidity gradient in your substrate. Give the water bowl a really good overflow the dampen the lower substrate or stick in a tube that goes to the bottom and occasionally put a bit of water in... a little like a false bottom enclosure... just not quite as damp.
Spray top level once a week.

I also find a good mix n match of substrates (sand/coir/potting soil/gravel) makes for a very happy scorpion!
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: S. Maurus Palmatus setup.   S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Empty6/9/2009, 1:58 pm

yeha im gettin the substrate stuff sorted out got it in a wee snake box atm and i sprayed half the surface of the substrate cuase its not really deep enough for burrowing ill hold of with the straw stuff till i get the right substrate mix going.

cheers.
Back to top Go down
AshMashMash
Babycurus
AshMashMash

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: S. Maurus Palmatus setup.   S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Empty6/11/2009, 3:21 am

Was that my tank you saw? If so, I did say that it had just been sprayed before that picture was taken. Its not normally quite that damp.

But, as everyone else has said, they do need higher humidity than desert scorps. Trying to get my little buggers to breed at the moment... the male is "juddering" every single night, but even though the female is interested, she wont breed when they are put together Sad
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: S. Maurus Palmatus setup.   S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Empty6/11/2009, 7:30 am

what size tank/tub should i out them in btw, i have one of those 5.8 litre plastic snake mboxes from the spider shop gonna put it in there when i get a proper stable substrate sorted.

Can anyone tell me what sex it is or will i have to post in the "sexing Scorps" section?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S. Maurus Palmatus setup.   S. Maurus Palmatus setup. Empty

Back to top Go down

S. Maurus Palmatus setup.
Page 1 of 1