The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.

Go down 
+8
LXDNG79
Kuma
LadyRiotControl
bjaeger
Mr. Mordax
Deathstalker
scorpion111
delirium
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty
PostSubject: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/9/2009, 1:43 pm

Hi all, i joined this forum a while ago. Didnt really have anything to say till now.... I just got myself an explosion of scorp species too much for me to handle. Originally I own;

15 H.Laoticus (all perfectly settled in a community tank with enough hiding spaces for all)
4 H.Spinifers & (also nicely tucked into a community tank)
3 Laocheles Australasiae (nicely setup vertical tank also community)

Had them for about half a year now when i suddenly stumbled upon;

1 Androctonus Australis
1 Parabuthus Liosoma
2 Parabuthus Transvaalicus
1 Hadrurus Spadix (not too sure if its the species still, need help)
7 Scorpio Maurus
1 Babycurus Jacksoni
1 huge Pandinus Imperator &
3 flat rock scorp (still learning about them)

stumbled upon them in a pet store here in Hong Kong and being a scorpion lover with scorpion fever, I cant resist but to buy them all, also i could not stand the way the pet shop owner house these jewels. I spent almost all my earnings on them plus tanks, substrates, and driftwood for their hideouts. Im so lucky to own all these fantastic scorp species all at once, im really happy and all & i wana showoff my collections but....

I need help on a few things like, sexing, aging, and whether I've correctly house them with their substrate n hiding places, as i've only kept forest species before this. But before that, I have to post the pictures and I seem to have trouble doin that. can anyone help? Razz
Back to top Go down
http://slipperyjumps.blogspot.com
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/9/2009, 2:37 pm

congrats on all the awesome scorpions!

as for posting pictures, surround the jpg link with Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.  Ie, Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Llapapsos,ssjf

we probably won't be able to tell you much about the age of a scorpion, apart from if it's mature, subadult, etc.
Back to top Go down
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/9/2009, 3:43 pm

congrates!!your very lucky to be able to own those stunning species!
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 12:41 am

thanx a bunch guys. I know im very lucky by chance thats y i'm a little more sensitive to these new species that ive got and i don wana make any mistakes with them, Don know when will be the next time I'll come across these beauties in the market here in Hong Kong. But anyways Scorpion111 thanx for the help. if theres anything i can do for u just let me know. Cheers
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 12:52 am

Scorpion111, I still don seem to get it. theres's 2 boxes for image. 1 is 'host an image' and the other is just 'image'. So... what do i do? i mean, do host it first? then go to 'image'? or .... im confused. Sorry dude, im not so good at this....
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 2:09 am

You "host" an image if you don't already have it online somewhere. If you already have it uploaded (say, to a Photobucket or Flickr account or something), copy the image URL and click the "image" icon. Then paste the URL and click OK.

The same thing is done by typing Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Front, without any spaces or anything else.
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 3:34 am

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xy_ur84ds3c/SgWAmJ1AiDI/AAAAAAAAAI0/uBkRCjW7W88/s1600-h/CIMG2038.JPG
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 3:35 am

Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. CIMG2038
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 3:35 am

[img]Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. CIMG2038[/img]
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 3:43 am

You're doing it right but the [img] tags don't like the link for whatever reason. Try a different image host such as Image Shack ( or you can click the icon with the diskette to host an image via ServImg ).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 3:46 am

URLHi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Cimg2016" border="0" alt=""/>
test
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 3:50 am

Yes!!!! finally! thanx Mordax,Bjaeger n scorpion111!!!! you're the best! by the way, since we're here on the same page, could u guys recognize this scorp here? I recon its a Hadrurus Spadix. just wana be sure. don wana get too easy with the wrong species.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 5:16 am

wow that was a pretty good find in the pet shop... and lol at spending so much money Very Happy

you mentioned about flat rocks... one of my favourite species Smile here is an accurate CARE SHEET for the species. There are a number on the net that say to keep them moist, this is a common misconception for some strange reason, only small juvi's need a slightly higher humidity.
Very long lived scorpion, some reports say for as many as 20+ years

Scorpio maurus, another common mistake about this scorpion is that they are kept too dry. although a desert species they do need moisture, particularly below surface level (in the wild they dig burrows several metres underground to reach around 70% humidity. I would recommend that you keep the lower substrate damp by overspill of the water bowl in one corner. A good mix & match of substrates (sand / coir / peat or potting soil / gravel) seems to appeal to the scorpion and they do very well. Your can either layer the substrates or mix the lot together. So long as you keep the substrate damp underneath you cant go wrong Smile
Oh and they do not suffer with mycosis like their desert cousins Smile

congrats on the new additions Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 7:10 am

The pic is a Hadrurus arizonensis. H. spadix have a completely black carapace, whereas H. arizonensis has the yellow intra-occular triangle.
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 10:47 am

Wow guys, thanx a whole lot! This week is gona be a very busy week for me as i've got to overhaul 'all' my scopio maurus tank setups. Thanx Lisa, i've suspected earlier that it is a misconception as most people only think of scorps as dessert or forest, and are pretty straight forward as for setups is concern. but thanx for clearing that up. Having 7 S.Maurus tanks to overhaul will def take up alot of my weeks life which i'm so willing to devote to. Wink currently i mixed coconut fiber with fine sand around 50 50 as they hold moisture and allow them to make tunnels that dont collapse easily. As for flat rocks, wow! they live for about 20 years or so?! cool! im still researching on them on the net...

As for Hadrurus arizonensis, I've got alot of looking up 'in the web' to do on housing,humidity and bla bla bla... only when i'm stuck i'll ask for advise from you guys. but non the less, it is amazing that you guys devote your time in helping other scorp lovers around the world. I'll post up pics of the setups as soon as they are done. Truly wonderful. Thank you! Smile
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 1:59 pm

I think your scorpio maurus substrate will be ok to be honest with you. just keep in mind the lower surface humidity and you should be fine. The mix n match of substrates I suggest is what a few people have done and seems to work well. Sand / coir mix should be fine.

You know if they are happy if they dig a burrow and if you are lucky, you will see the burrow ends in what I can only describe as a room. This means you have a very happy scorpio maurus.

Lol didn't mean to make you overhaul all your tanks!!!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 3:12 pm

Hadrurus spp. are pretty easy to keep -- mix up some sand and Excavator clay (link) at least three inches deep to a ratio of about 70% sand and 30% clay, wet it down, and let it dry out for a few days.

The clay helps to support burrows (which this genus loves to make), and at 30% it's crumbly enough for the scorp to easily dig. Other than that, this scorp likes it hot and dry but also likes being able to burrow down to cooler humid areas. (They live in Arizona and can burrow up to three feet into the sand.)
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/10/2009, 11:27 pm

4 of my S.Maurus have already made burrows and I could see the tunnel lines along the sides of their tanks and I think, there appears to be a room at the end. So far I have not touched these Happy Mauruses. Very Happy what i plan to do for them is to have about half an inch of coconut fiber at the bottom, wet it, then 3 to 4 inches of the mix. Guess I'll only need to do it for 3 of them this week. I'll change the rest in the near future when its time for spring clean, which is almost never if they are self sustaining already.

As for my hadrurus spp. Thanx alot Mr.Mordax =) those are info datas that dont exist anywhere on the web. Wink precious. I'd never though about excavator clay. but yea, below my appartment, there are some landscaping plants they planted using excavator clay, gona sneak some into a bucket tonight. haha.

Thanx! Smile
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/11/2009, 3:27 am

delirium wrote:
there are some landscaping plants they planted using excavator clay, gona sneak some into a bucket tonight.

Did you look at Mister Mordax's link? (jpg of the exavator clay) Is it the same stuff or suitable stuff for scorpions?

Also great collection you've got. Christmas come early!
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/11/2009, 4:00 am

oops...(after looking into Mr.Mordax's Link) hahahaha! lol! lol! lol! thanx Kuma. omg! you're right, there might be chemicals(i was thinking about that). Well, I dont think they sell those here. otherwise what do you think would be most suitable? can i mix fine sand with coconut fibers for the H.Arizonensis? like maybe 65% sand and 35% coconut fiber?

yep...Christmas sure came early this year. who knows maybe next year's Christmas will come early too. After spending so much at one go in the pet store, the owner took my number and said he'll call me once he get his hands on more scorpions. Razz
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/11/2009, 4:07 am

You're his best customer! lol

Ladyriotcontrol recomended Bentonite clay

LadyRiotControl wrote:
sand and coir will do.

but using bentonite clay will really bind the sand. hard enough not to collapse but brittle enough for the scorpion to burrow into
you want 1 part clay to 14 parts sand (or composite substrate)
cheapest on ebay for small quantities, found a good seller for the stuff

(Quoted from another thread)
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/11/2009, 5:38 am

yeap... i heard the shop owner was suppose to be a really cocky chinese dude, but when he sees me, he greets me by name! haha best customer, maybe im a sucker to him, but whatever. I love his collections and his ability to obtain them. Anyways thanx, i've never heard of bentonite clay before, i'll search on it. hope i'll be able to get it here in this vast concrete jungle of Hong Kong. Either that or i'll just ask the shop keeper to order those Excavator Clay. gona cost though. hehe. Thanx again!
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/11/2009, 5:43 am

Have a look on ebay, I foung a kilo bag on there and it was reasonable too
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/11/2009, 4:12 pm

you can find bentonite clay at any craft shop, in particular those who specialise in pottery / clay modelling, health places (it is also used as a face mask to clear skin of impurities - quite well actually!)
also used in metal casting... so there are plenty of places you can look for it.

Never had a burrow collapse since I started using this clay Smile
Back to top Go down
delirium
Hadogenes
delirium

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty5/12/2009, 12:11 am

right.... so thats bentonite clay. =) thanx! face mask ya, I'm glad there are girls into scorps too. It sure helps alot. By the way, U have a beautiful eye makeup. Razz

Last edited by delirium on 5/13/2009, 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.   Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion. Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi, my name is EricLee. Im the luckiest scorpman alive. 8 new species, total explosion.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next