The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

horned tomato caterpillar

Go down 
+7
rosenkrieger
~Abyss~
Bayss
Mr. Mordax
*Connie*
diabollicallycursed
Absolution246
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Absolution246
Centruroides
Absolution246

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2008-07-02

horned tomato caterpillar Empty
PostSubject: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty4/17/2009, 9:31 am

I was wondering how horned tomato caterpillar are for feeding my emps.At the pet shop they say these are 100's of times more nutritious than crickets.

Just wondering what you guys think.

horned tomato caterpillar M1224-3-lg
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Absolution246
diabollicallycursed
Babycurus
diabollicallycursed

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty4/17/2009, 11:43 am

well they're diets are the same right? They are just bigger so it's hard to say I would say they aren't 100 times more nutritious but thats just my opinion not fact.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty4/17/2009, 11:56 am

moved to feeders section
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty4/17/2009, 12:09 pm

Most pet stores don't know squat.

I've never seen anyone list these things as feeders -- I tried rearing some myself so I could try my "fried green tomato hornworms" recipe and they were just such a pain in the butt to rear because they eat so much.

I did feed one or two to a pet mantid, and she loved 'em. I also know of at least one hobbyist who fed one to his Androctonus mauritanicus. So scorps CAN eat them, but I really don't think they're worth the hassle.
Back to top Go down
Absolution246
Centruroides
Absolution246

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty4/17/2009, 1:19 pm

Sorry for posting in the wrong section and thanks for your input Mike.

They charged 2$ a worm so I dont think I'll be getting any since I can get 20 crickets for that price
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Absolution246
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty4/17/2009, 7:54 pm

TOTALLY not worth it. I got a bunch of eggs for a few bucks from a biological supply co. (Of course, I can't tell you how much I spent on tomato plants to feed the buggers!)
Back to top Go down
diabollicallycursed
Babycurus
diabollicallycursed

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty4/18/2009, 3:32 pm

Wow Shocked alot of pet stores are crooks eh
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty4/18/2009, 7:25 pm

I would bet they are more water than anything. I have seen comparisons of what the best feeder bug are based on protein, moisture, calcium and ash content...roaches were the best. They didn't include horned tomato catepillars, but at $2 a pop I'd go with roaches or crickets.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty4/20/2009, 8:16 pm

They do make good feeders but sinmce they're so big they usually end up going unfinished....not worth it.
Mike you have seen these used as feeders Thaedion had a pic up.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty4/20/2009, 8:36 pm

Eddy, didn't you read what I said? Razz

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Most pet stores don't know squat.

I've never seen anyone list these things as feeders -- I tried rearing some myself so I could try my "fried green tomato hornworms" recipe and they were just such a pain in the butt to rear because they eat so much.

I did feed one or two to a pet mantid, and she loved 'em. I also know of at least one hobbyist who fed one to his Androctonus mauritanicus. So scorps CAN eat them, but I really don't think they're worth the hassle.

By "I've never seen anyone list these things as feeders" I meant "I've never seen them listed for sale / advertised as feeders."

Probably should have clarified.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty4/20/2009, 8:47 pm

pfff.....w.e Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
rosenkrieger
Pandinus

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty5/5/2009, 4:41 am

I got a pack of these a while back to try out. Most of my inverts wouldn't touch them. My geckos, however, at them like they were goin out of style.
Back to top Go down
Primal Heart
Pandinus
Primal Heart

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-03-29

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty3/29/2010, 11:57 am

Horned worms are one of the highest calcium content feeder bugs, topped out by silkworms. they are also very low in fat. this does make them a very good feeder for a lot of lizard species, bearded Dragons for instance... But I am VERY new to Scorpions so I admit knowing nothing of their specific needs as far as fat/calcium/ect. I would be interrested in knowing how they do fair as a feeder for scorps....
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty5/9/2010, 1:33 pm

One of our former members fed them to an Androctonus sp. with no problem . . . but if they're as high in calcium as you say, I wouldn't suggest doing it on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
Miami T
Pandinus
Miami T

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-04-10

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty5/25/2010, 12:43 am

I dont claim to be an expert but i have them and first thing is DONT feed them tomato plants. most insects thet eat tomato plants become toxic. second there are a few places on the web to buy them and their food but as stated before they are more for lizards and the such .....as for me i feed them to some of my larger speicies of tarantulas when i need to fatten them up (T. blondi, L.P., ect.) the web sites that sell them sell small ones but as stated before they eat alot and get big fast UNLESS you put then in your fridge (slows down their growth rate (2days in, 1 day out) and the amount they eat). as for feeding them to scorps its up to the hobbyst but as far i can think its just not smart because they end up larger than most scorps (and the scorp doesnt eat the entire worm and they are squishy and gross once masticated) and they are a pain to upkeep..........IMHO
Back to top Go down
Buggs
Pandinus

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty1/5/2011, 11:23 pm

What Miami T said is true. Also don't use worms harvested from outside because of possible pesticide contamination.

I buy these about 3-4 times a year for my Bearded Dragon to vary the protein I give him. The only problem is raising the things. The best place I found to get them I've listed below. They have everything you need to hatch and raise Horn Worms without the worry of toxins or pesticide. My Beardie goes ape---- when he sees them.

http://www.greatlakeshornworm.com/
Back to top Go down
Vin Diesel
Centruroides
Vin Diesel

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty3/14/2011, 7:20 pm

I just gave my scorpions two of these guys for the first time. It took them a little to realize they were food, but they eventually took them. However I heard that they don't usually finish the whole worm, and you would have to clean up after the scorpion. This is gonna be really hard to do because my scorpions took both of them back into their burrow. Do you guys think its not such a big deal or should I be worried?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: horned tomato caterpillar   horned tomato caterpillar Empty

Back to top Go down

horned tomato caterpillar
Page 1 of 1