The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Putting emps in the mood

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
chevy_power427
Centruroides
chevy_power427

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Putting emps in the mood Empty
PostSubject: Putting emps in the mood   Putting emps in the mood Empty3/9/2009, 8:56 pm

I have 3 Adult emps, in the same enclosure, 2 females 1 male. I wish they would reproduce. Anyone has a tip that would like help the process. It's been 5 months that I have them.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Putting emps in the mood   Putting emps in the mood Empty3/9/2009, 9:24 pm

The females may already be gravid. You don't necessarily see the mating, and gestation can range up to 18 months.

Have you seen a spermatophore in the tank? It's possible for a female to eat it after mating, but it's another sign to look for.

You can also remove the male for a few weeks to a month, and then reintroduce him. If the females aren't already gravid they will likely mate right away. If they are, either he won't try or they'll reject him.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Putting emps in the mood   Putting emps in the mood Empty3/9/2009, 9:34 pm

...and then eat him!
Back to top Go down
chevy_power427
Centruroides
chevy_power427

PostSubject: Re: Putting emps in the mood   Putting emps in the mood Empty3/9/2009, 9:36 pm

I already kept him separate for a month more or less. I read somewhere that some species need a drop in temperature, does that also apply to emperors?? I already saw them perform the "promenade a deux" but I never found a spermatophore
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Putting emps in the mood   Putting emps in the mood Empty3/9/2009, 10:35 pm

I think the cooling period thing is mostly for tarantulas and temperate species, so no.

It's possible it was a dry run -- does the male have something suitable to deposit it on? (A bark hide, a piece of slate, etc.)

If they danced, then your females aren't rejecting him, so that's a good sign. Although, I had a female who was very passive (not so much danced with him as let him drag her about) and she turned out to be too old to have more young.
Back to top Go down
chevy_power427
Centruroides
chevy_power427

PostSubject: Re: Putting emps in the mood   Putting emps in the mood Empty3/9/2009, 10:37 pm

There is something were he can deposit the spermatophore, they exactly danced on it, he carried all the way on it, she didn't seem to reject him at all, she just followed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting emps in the mood   Putting emps in the mood Empty

Back to top Go down

Putting emps in the mood
Page 1 of 1