The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
puttynuts
Pandinus
puttynuts

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-22

New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem Empty
PostSubject: New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem   New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem Empty2/16/2009, 8:45 pm

Hi there, I'm fairly new to this hobby, having had a couple of these guys for a month or so. I live on Vancouver Island, in Victoria, BC. Right now here, it is "winter". We don't get winter here like most Canadians, but it is very cool here, around 0 C to 6 C, with some subzero days.
I like my apartment to be fairly cool, around 18 C to 21 C. This poses a problem for the scorpions, it seems like I'm always fighting the temperature. And because I'm always putting the heat to them, I am misting 3 to 4 times per day, just to maintain humidity. The electric heat keeps my house very dry. The temperature ranges from 23 C to 29 C, with humidity varying between 60% and 85%.
I originally bought two emperors, third in-star I think, from a local pet store. These poor things were living on bark, "basking" in the glow of an incandescent bulb. I took them home, and they happily explored their new home. This weekend, I went and got (rescued) their other two tank mates. On the way home, I noticed one of them was very sluggish, sometimes getting rolled over due to cornering and bumps, but not even making an effort to right himself.
I got them home, rearranged the tank, stirred and added new soil and put them to bed. They were all active, with the poor little one immediately catching a cricket and eating it. Everybody found some place to hide, except the little dozy one. He stayed out in the open, near a heat pad. I didn't think it overly strange, as these guys are actually pretty goofy at times.
This morning I got up and noticed the little one sitting out in the open, near a hide. I thought maybe he was about to molt. I turned on the heat lamps full-bore and had a shower. When i got out, he was still there, so I watched him for a minute. He started making like he was stinging himself, not good: too hot. So, I turned down the rheostat to MIN, and he stopped. But, he also made no attempt to get out of the sun. I misted as usual, and went to work, hoping he would get in the shade before I got home.
My hope was in vain, I think. When I got home, he was still under the lamp, but not moving at all. His tail still has curl, but he seems either dead or catatonic, not showing any response at all. He has not begun to decay. I misted and put him into a hide, hoping maybe the cooler temperatures and increased humidity will help.
I was wondering: with all the good advice that I've gleaned from the forum, is there any thing that can be done? Am I doing anything wrong?
As an aside: I have the scorpion tank as far away from any drafts as possible. It receives no direct sunlight. It is also as far away as possible from any residential heaters (electric).
[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem   New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem Empty2/16/2009, 9:09 pm

first of all, do not mist the tank in an attemp to maintain high humidity. that doesn't do anything. dump water directly onto the substrate, if the substrate is moist, you have nothing to worry about.

the dozy one... he might just be naturally dying. if he is still young, it might just be natural selection. I've had many scorplings die on me for no apparent reason.

what does he look like? is he mega fat or what?

also, post a few pics of the tank if you can. Smile
Back to top Go down
puttynuts
Pandinus
puttynuts

PostSubject: Re: New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem   New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem Empty2/16/2009, 9:43 pm

Thank you very much for your quick reply. And thanks for the advice on the misting; I have followed the advice here and have a false-bottom.
The dozy one is also the runt of the litter, noticeably smaller than the other three. And although survival of the fittest may be coming into play, the conditions in that pet store were deplorable.
As to the water level in the false-bottom, should there be puddles in my tank? It seems in takes a moment for the water level to "keep up". Maybe putting the water in a little ore slowly?New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem 1
This is an image of my set-up.
Any advice, criticism, or comment would be welcome.
Thank you in advance.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem   New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem Empty2/16/2009, 10:05 pm

I can't see the image.. I think the New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem  thing only works with jpg's.

as for the false bottom, the substrate shouldn't be soupy. just moist.

*edit

got a look at the picture, your tank looks FINE.

and the little runt, I'm sorry but the chances are he will die.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem   New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem Empty2/16/2009, 11:20 pm

Don't consider him dead until you see his metasoma (tail) laying out flat. But yeah, some juvies die for no apparent reason.
Back to top Go down
puttynuts
Pandinus
puttynuts

PostSubject: Re: New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem   New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem Empty2/17/2009, 1:16 am

Its tail is now almost completely straight out flat. Poop. I have it separately "housed", just to see if it does a reappearing act. I'm not hopeful that it will. Thanks for all your help. It's mid-evening here, and the other three are all out and about, hunting and exploring. One is eating. Temp is 23 C, humidity, 80%. Thanks for all your help. This site and forum continue to be a great resource in my aim to accurately reproduce their natural surroundings.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem   New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem Empty2/17/2009, 12:21 pm

take it back to the shop then...
most pet shops should only sell fluffy things that they know how to look after... there quite useless with scorps.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem   New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem Empty2/19/2009, 10:50 am

dont ditch it even with the tail out flat. I had loads do this and were "dead" as far as I was concerend adn then after a week they came back to life!
I know this is a rare case but leave your little one in a container and wait for the decay, when they happens you know 100% that he/she is dead
xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem   New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem Empty

Back to top Go down

New to scorpionkeeping, and a problem
Page 1 of 1