The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

I have two live pinkies

Go down 
+5
~Abyss~
wburke17
Mr. Mordax
*Connie*
Venom
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

I have two live pinkies Empty
PostSubject: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/21/2008, 5:53 pm

My snake refuses to eat them
Should I freeze them?
It's colder outside then in the freezer. Suspect
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/21/2008, 5:54 pm

Do you know its illegal to feed live animals to snakes....not that im being a poo poo about you feeding your snakes....
well thats what the RSPCA says...

I would kill them if its not going to eat them live

or give them a nice warm bed and feed them and love them and care for them

xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/21/2008, 6:11 pm

That's the RSPCA -- We have to follow the ASPCA, and as far as I'm aware, they don't say anything about feeding pet reptiles. And pinkies are too young to raise without a mom.

If the snake won't eat live, then try freezing and see if it accepts that. Some people debate about the least-cruel method to dispatch mammalian feeders, but unless you have a spare CO2 generator laying around, this is probably your best bet.
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/21/2008, 6:13 pm

It's not illegal.
I was going to buy frozen but the owner said there was only live as of then.

I was going to wait, but my snake had not eaten in a while. It's getting annoying with not eating.

So now I have two. Should I leave them outside?

And there's people living in constant suffrage out there in the world, when I think of that, a mouse isn't that big a deal to me.
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/21/2008, 6:14 pm

IHeartMantids wrote:
That's the RSPCA -- We have to follow the ASPCA, and as far as I'm aware, they don't say anything about feeding pet reptiles. And pinkies are too young to raise without a mom.

If the snake won't eat live, then try freezing and see if it accepts that. Some people debate about the least-cruel method to dispatch mammalian feeders, but unless you have a spare CO2 generator laying around, this is probably your best bet.
I think I will.
If I wanted to go out, I'd pick freezing. CO2 gets your heart rate up and I hate that.
Back to top Go down
wburke17
Babycurus
wburke17

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/21/2008, 9:49 pm

freeze them and then try again in a couple o'days
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/21/2008, 9:57 pm

break the neck. Fast and quick with your thumb.
-EDDY
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

Number of posts : 619

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/22/2008, 1:19 am

If I were you I would toss them in a big ziplock bag and put them in the freezer. In a week or two thaw one and try to feed your snake.

Is you snake pre-molt? I'm sure you know what this is but sometimes you don't see it coming. My snake didn't really show any signs, she then ate a fuzzy and shed that night.

Snakes are much like scorpions in the fact that they can go forever without eating. Tests have proved that a healthy snake will live over a year without food. Don't stress out over this too much.

So what kind of snake is it?

-Dustin
Back to top Go down
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

Number of posts : 619

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/22/2008, 1:22 am

Another thing about pinkies, is that they don't produce a whole lot of heat. I found that thawing with scorching hot water for about 15-20 minutes usually gets the snake to grab it real fast.
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/22/2008, 8:39 am

Quote :
break the neck. Fast and quick with your thumb.
-EDDY
They don't really have a neck. And I can hear their heart beat from far away.

Quote :
If I were you I would toss them in a big ziplock bag and put them in the freezer. In a week or two thaw one and try to feed your snake.

Is you snake pre-molt? I'm sure you know what this is but sometimes you don't see it coming. My snake didn't really show any signs, she then ate a fuzzy and shed that night.

Snakes are much like scorpions in the fact that they can go forever without eating. Tests have proved that a healthy snake will live over a year without food. Don't stress out over this too much.

So what kind of snake is it?
I froze them.
Well, my guy has not shed since December(That I saw) so that worried me for a while but then I just assumed he shed in pieces due to the low humidity. Corn snake.
Back to top Go down
Okiescorp
Pandinus
Okiescorp

Number of posts : 47

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/22/2008, 9:08 am

How big are your corns? On my corns I had to put the pinkie in a deli cup with the corn and leave it for a little while before they would eat.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/22/2008, 11:35 am

Mine's easy -- all I have to do is run a frozen under hot water for a couple minutes and he takes it without problem.
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/22/2008, 3:07 pm

Mine used to take it from October to January no problem ,then I started having problems.
Back to top Go down
Okiescorp
Pandinus
Okiescorp

Number of posts : 47

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/22/2008, 5:49 pm

Could be because he is trying to hybernate. Mine have gone off food at these times of years also.
Back to top Go down
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

Number of posts : 503

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/22/2008, 7:53 pm

Ziploc, freeze em, heat em up (don't use the microwave unless you feel like cleaning em up after they explode)

Just make sure it's kind of warm when you try to feed em (I'm sure you know that).
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/andrew273
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/22/2008, 9:24 pm

Yes.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/23/2008, 4:22 am

when we looked after my neighbours corn snake we were given a bag of frozen pinkies. boiled the kettle and put it in a cup for a few minutes and the snake ate it fine.

about the RSPCA, i think it only meant live running about mice as its classed as "Animal fighting" but is acceptable if snake wont eat dead or still food. sorry i got on my soap box earlier

xxxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty2/23/2008, 9:52 am

*Connie* wrote:
Do you know its illegal to feed live animals to snakes....not that im being a poo poo about you feeding your snakes....
well thats what the RSPCA says...

I would kill them if its not going to eat them live

or give them a nice warm bed and feed them and love them and care for them

xxxx

Only UK have does weird rules about that, you cant keep Buthida and stuff like that, i thougt denmark had weird rules untill i heard about UK rules Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have two live pinkies   I have two live pinkies Empty

Back to top Go down

I have two live pinkies
Page 1 of 1