The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Almost lost my scorpions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Absolution246
Centruroides
Absolution246

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Almost lost my scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Almost lost my scorpions   Almost lost my scorpions Empty12/14/2008, 11:38 am

Well I live in Upstate New York and we had a pretty bad Ice storm here.Thurs night I lost power around 2am temps droped down to around 45F in my house.
When I woke up I piled coats and blankets onto my emps tank.I had 3 winter coats 2 hoodies and a blanket covering thier tank.I was so scared they wernt going to make it.

I got power back around Friday at 5pm and Im happy to say that all 3 scorps lived through the power outage.I've read post before about you guys sayin Scorpions are pretty hardy little things
so I guess I'm just posting this to back up that claim.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Absolution246
chevy_power427
Centruroides
chevy_power427

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost my scorpions   Almost lost my scorpions Empty12/14/2008, 12:29 pm

Lucky you. I had a power outage three weeks ago, took all of my scorpions, put them in small containers and took them to a friends house not too far away. Now I have more scorpions than back then so I'm a little scared of runing out of juice. But there supposed to be tough. Did they slow down or something?? How are they doing??
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost my scorpions   Almost lost my scorpions Empty12/14/2008, 12:47 pm

Most scorpions are pretty tough. 45 degrees overnight isn't a big deal.

If you have any temperate species, they might have enjoyed it. Razz
Back to top Go down
Absolution246
Centruroides
Absolution246

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost my scorpions   Almost lost my scorpions Empty12/14/2008, 1:18 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Most scorpions are pretty tough. 45 degrees overnight isn't a big deal.

If you have any temperate species, they might have enjoyed it. Razz
Thats good to know I was petrified.Next time I wont be so worried.I was under the impression that you should never let the temps go below 65 for Emps

chevy_power427 wrote:
Did they slow down or something?? How are they doing??
While the power was out they were huddled together in thier burrow.Since I got the temps back up to mid 80's they have seperated a bit but still stay in thier burrow like normal

Last edited by Absolution246 on 12/14/2008, 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chevy_power427
Centruroides
chevy_power427

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost my scorpions   Almost lost my scorpions Empty12/14/2008, 1:20 pm

Good to know, weather this time of year isn't nice, I expect a shortage this winter.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost my scorpions   Almost lost my scorpions Empty12/14/2008, 1:42 pm

From what I can tell, the temperature it got down to in your home is about as low as it ever gets in Ghana.

So it's possible they could experience that temperature in their home range (just not too likely).

Smile
Back to top Go down
Absolution246
Centruroides
Absolution246

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost my scorpions   Almost lost my scorpions Empty12/14/2008, 2:06 pm

See the reason I was so worried was because I always used this for thier temp range http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/geography/climate.php (The second graph)

There it says coldest ever is 64 But thats just for Accra and its not that detailed.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost my scorpions   Almost lost my scorpions Empty12/14/2008, 2:52 pm

They made it and thats what matters. They didnt suffer the temp drop for too long and they are all ok.
xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost my scorpions   Almost lost my scorpions Empty12/17/2008, 10:56 am

I read In one of the scorpion books I have at home that many scorpions can survive temperatures below freezing, so I wouldnt worry at all about an over night power cut they might slow down a bit but as long as their not wrmed up to quickly they should be fine Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Almost lost my scorpions   Almost lost my scorpions Empty

Back to top Go down

Almost lost my scorpions
Page 1 of 1