The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Ventilation

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Ventilation   Ventilation Empty12/12/2008, 10:58 am

As we have all noticed mycosis and 'DS' have been in recent topics. and good ventilation seems to be a key in these, especially with mycosis. And it crossed my mind that we dont have a lot of air circulation in houses, unless you have room fans and the like.

Sooooooo.......

Was having a browse as fans and the such and came across some solar panel fans that would easily clip to the side of an aquarium, but with a bit of imagination could be attached to any sort of tank
And they're pretty cheap

Maplin have some in too that has the panel attached on the end of a wire to stick on a window, which if it didn't reach from you tank a little basic wire connecting would solve the problem

So what do you think, I think I will be getting some of the 'ebay' ones Smile

click here
Back to top Go down
cmart822331
Hadogenes
cmart822331

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventilation   Ventilation Empty12/12/2008, 11:51 am

sounds like a good idea. but will it also pull the heat and humidity from your enclosure?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventilation   Ventilation Empty12/12/2008, 12:25 pm

cool. I'm gonna borrow one of my dad's drills to create "cross ventilation" holes in all my tanks n' tubs.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventilation   Ventilation Empty12/12/2008, 12:27 pm

I'd worry about it being too disruptive to the tank. Still air diffuses pretty well, and I doubt the air in a tank is very still anyway, so the important thing should just be to have enough of an opening that air is allowed to diffuse freely. I know that most scorpions I see with mycosis are freshly wild-caught, meaning that developing it isn't usually our fault -- just letting it get worse is.

I've also read about another theory of mycosis -- that scorpions pick it up from spores that are already present in the substrate (make sense, if you think that you usually notice it in the pectines). This theory says that you should sterilize substrate to destroy any of these spores.

I don't know how tough fungal spores are, but I know that when bacteria form spores they're incredibly hardy.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventilation   Ventilation Empty12/12/2008, 12:33 pm

my A/F P.imp has lost a few pectines due to mycosis.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventilation   Ventilation Empty12/12/2008, 5:19 pm

I microwave the substrate anyway before using it.

Well it was a thought Smile I still might get one to see what effect it has on the enclosures. This is an old damp block of flats (noted by the millions of silver fish that have taken up residence) and even the dryer enclosures occasionally have moisture condensation on them in the morning. I just thought that better air circulation amongst my dryer/desert species would prevent this.

Either that of get one of those air doofers? that get moisture out of the air in the room and keep it on 24/7... which could prove costly.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventilation   Ventilation Empty12/12/2008, 5:21 pm

You chould put the fans on a timer? so it only works for like 1 hour a day or something like that.. or every 4th hour.. whatever you feel best..
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventilation   Ventilation Empty12/12/2008, 5:31 pm

these ones are solar powered lol. ventilation isn't a problem through summer but in winter we cant open the windows (for long) and with mainly overcast days I dont think it will kick out more than a mild movement of the air Smile

oh well a little experiment to keep my head amused anyway. Kids been turning my brain to mush lately!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ventilation   Ventilation Empty

Back to top Go down

Ventilation
Page 1 of 1