The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

desert hairy ventilation/humidity

Go down 
+2
scorpion111
_scorpio_
6 posters
AuthorMessage
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty
PostSubject: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/3/2008, 4:24 pm

i have had enough of the damn caresheets so can you guys tell me... what should the humidity be and how ventilated should it be, does it have to be completely sealed up or can there be a big hole in the lid just covered with mesh? the reason is i cant get the lamp to shine in and warm it up through the lid without a massive hole (and the damn lamp wont bend far enough to shine in the side and there is a background thing on the back that the light wont shine through). the reason for all these annoying questions is that it will be the only invert that i am going to keep in the house (the rest are going to the "animal room" in the garage), and i want it too look good and need light....
thanks..
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/3/2008, 4:55 pm

wouldn't you be better of with a mat? constant light + scorpion = stress. as for ventilation and humidity, i'd say as long as it is DRY inside the tank. ( I think that's like 30-50%) and I thing it would be alright to have a hole as long as it is covered in strong mesh.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/3/2008, 5:25 pm

yea...i just...ummm....uuurgghhh..... i dont no....
its coming some time next week so i have time to rethink things
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/3/2008, 5:26 pm

I keep mine at room ambient humidity.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/3/2008, 5:27 pm

yea but ur in chicago.... oh i'll work it out
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/3/2008, 5:47 pm

just as long as it is not humid in the viv.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/3/2008, 6:58 pm

Vent is isn't so important as humidity. The sad truth is that H.a needs humidity just not constantly. I give mine the option of a more humid enviroment but it would be really hard to mimic that in a 10 gallon.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/3/2008, 7:30 pm

how about the spraying one corner once a week kinda thing? it can choose to move to the area of humidity to witch it prefers?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/3/2008, 7:37 pm

The problem with that is thats already to much humidity. I do a half false bottom thing. Where only HALF the tank uses a false bottom and i keep the water lever really low.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/4/2008, 2:53 am

a care sheet I have found on this forum for you.
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/caresheets-f29/hadrurus-arizonensis-desert-hairy-scorpion-t218.htm

Your heat lamp can be sat outside the tank pointing into the tank.
You can also use the red lights. they give off heat but not a bright light. But since I havent got this equipment yet im unsure *give me a few more months and I will have one tank set up like that for my very own*
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/4/2008, 11:03 am

i have: 10 gallon, small clay hide, tiny water bowl in humid corner, decour, 5" sand (how much should i wet the sand, i dumped about 1/4 litre of water on it.).
can i just put a few drips of water in like 2" of a corner. or maybee i could get another small hide and make it humid in there so its got the choice.
they only get 5i and 6i in because they know about the moulting problems.

another question (sorry, i just need to know the basics before i get him/her)
how long do they live from birth to death? i keep hearing it is 20 years Suspect ??? doesnt sound right. and how long will an adult live? from like moult to adult - death ??? ?? ?? ???? ??
sorry for all the Newb questions....
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/4/2008, 11:54 am

I think it all depends on the scorpion like humans. One Pandinus was reported to live for 14 years while I had my male 4 months *think female killed him though* but I think its about 6 years....so basically...hope for 6 years and anything over that is a bonus!

Let the wet sand you have try out and I would do the one hide dry and one with 2 drops of water and the scorpion will find what it wants im sure.

They get most of their water from their food items. So no water bowl needs to be provided. Also a water bowl being heated will obviously cause humidity and too much causes problems....while not enough when moulting causes problems....its tricky!
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/4/2008, 12:20 pm

i just hope i can get an adult... it will make it much less stressfull
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/4/2008, 6:01 pm

If you want the burrows to do better, mix your sand approximately 2:1 with excavator clay before you soak it. It really helps to keep the burrows from collapsing.

Also, to encourage it to start a burrow, scoop out a little under the edge of a flat rock. Mine only burrowed when I offered that -- she never started a burrow under the regular hide.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/4/2008, 6:28 pm

NOW you tell me...
problems:
1. cant get any excavator sand before monday
2. dont have a spare flat rock
3. i am not removing all that sand unless it is deadly important...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/4/2008, 6:59 pm

Not deadly important -- just the burrows might collapse.

Can't you find a flat rock, say, outside? Or use a coaster? A bunch of my tanks have slate-looking plastic coasters that make good hides.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/4/2008, 7:55 pm

right... i have found a flat rock but its bloody heavy and i wouldnt advise burows under it... is there no chance it will dig under the hide... what if i make a starter burrow???
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/4/2008, 7:57 pm

eek... just had a look at the cage and it is steaming up!!! despite the massive hole in teh lid. and the sand seems to be getting wetter...
will it stop beink a pain in the massive rectum if i get a heat mat....????????????????
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/4/2008, 8:15 pm

how long have you been drying the sand. it can take about 3 days for it to work properly

xxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/4/2008, 9:46 pm

If there's no scorpion, take the lid off completely and leave it in a hot (dry) spot for a few days.

A starter burrow might help -- even a bit of cardboard could seem like a flat rock to the scorpion. Just let it start a burrow under that and remove the cardboard when it's nice and deep.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/4/2008, 10:53 pm

i have found an old tile i can use...
the substrate has been drying for 2 1/4 days.... i get my scorp between monday and friday next week...
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/5/2008, 3:24 am

just keep it drying and it will be fine. dont worry Very Happy
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/5/2008, 10:23 am

desert hairy ventilation/humidity 8072 IM NERVOUS!!!! and EXITED!!! bounce
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty10/5/2008, 11:19 am

Haha, you'll be fine. These scorps are so popular because they're so hardy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: desert hairy ventilation/humidity   desert hairy ventilation/humidity Empty

Back to top Go down

desert hairy ventilation/humidity
Page 1 of 1