The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding

Go down 
+8
RyoKenzaki
~Abyss~
scorpion111
*Connie*
H2O
_scorpio_
Mr. Mordax
LXDNG79
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty
PostSubject: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/8/2008, 6:54 pm

Hi all, I was checking out an exotic pet section in a departmental store and low and behold there was a Leiurus quinquestriatus for sale. This may not seem particularly unusual but this is in Malaysia; An alien animal that is at the top of the venom list as far as scorpions go, is available here without any certainty of it falling into sufficiently responsible hands if any would suffice for a creature of this stature. Currently, I've had ample experience with Hets and other species that can be found in my region. This is my 1st imported scorpion. I had mixed feelings about buying it due to its reputation but these were the deciding factors of my eventual purchase: -
My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Lq10

1. It was a beautiful specimen of an already magnificent looking species.

2. I've always wanted a buthid if not a local one.

3. I've always wanted a desert species of any kind.

4. To broaden my experience with other scorpions including HOTS. I already have a Spitting cobra and a Malayan Krait.

5. Rather me than someone who doesn't know how to care for it resulting death of the animal or worse the person, though I don't wish to pretend that I am anywhere qualified either. I've read the stuff that's been posted on queries about anyone hoping to keep or own one which can be disheartening.

6. My buddy and forum member Rafiq has one probably female. Affter closer inspection of the one for sale I'm quite certain it is a male. Thus we're hoping they could be a pair.

So I beg of you, pls spare me the righteous sermons as they wouldn't help now. I'm kindly requesting reliable advice anyone can give regarding the proper care of this animal for the benefit of me and anyone else reading this posts or who wishes to keep this animal for the sincere appreciation of it as a beautiful creature of this earth. The guy at the pet store did maintain restraint in allowing me to inspect it and assured me that this particular scorpion is not for anyone. I concurred but convinced him I'm no newbie to scorps or venomous animals. These are pics of how the scorpion is housed in my residence. I will welcome any contributory ideas for safety measures and alternate enclosure settings.

The substrate is a mix of sand and fine aquarium gravel. I didn't pre-damp the substrate in fear of mycosis
My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Lq_110
Though considered unnecessary by some, I placed a piece of bark in the middle.
My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Lq_210
Double tank is be secure enough I hope. A closer look at him of him in the same pic

This was taken of the enclosure two days after.
My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Lq_310
As I hoped, the scorpion has dug a hide under the bark
My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Lq_410

These are some nice shots I managed to get of him parking on the bark.
My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Lq_510

My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Lq_610
Finally the queries that I have for anyone out there with 1st hand experience with this species.

1. I've read that no water is required whatsoever. To what extent is this true and why?

2. What are its eating habits like? I've never caught it in the act of eating yet so I'm rather curious. I think the slowly dissipating number of mealworms is a reasonable indicator of it actually eating but I ca never be sure. Furthermore how regularly should I feed it? The one i have currently did not seem interested in crickets.

3. Are desert scorpions susceptible to any kind of undesirable conditions in captivity? I'm new to desert species.

5. Do they need ample heat for any period of time? I live in a tropical country, so I never have problems with inverts succumbing to cold.

4. What is the lifespan and how many moults do they undergo?

5. Can anyone post on this thread a reliable picture guide on how to sex them accurately? Pictures of the underneath showing the pectines and the operculum for both male and female for comparison would be great.

6. Tips and advice in the event the scorpion needs to be removed from the enclosure. I have a pair of 12' tweezers but they don't have much grip on the tail of this species. They wiggle out of it very fervently. Currently, I use a cup to walk it over a lid in its enclosure.

7. How do we introduce a pair for the purpose of mating? How should we approach it? should we introduce the male into the female's enclosure or should we place them in bigger tank at the same time? What do we expect to see as indications of courtship behavior?

8. What is the approximate gestation period?

9. Are free-reigning scorplings as deadly as the adults?

Pls Feel free to add any essential questions I might have missed. I thank all in advance for their replies, advice, comment, and contributions.

Thank you Mike for giving me the idea to post a query thread. Eddy I've been told you're the one to go to for this one, so I'm hoping to hear from you.

P.S. I hope the things I say in this post don't come off as me being arrogant but I'm just very fed up of the fact that every time someone requests information like breeding, all I see with regards to this species are death threats and warning signs. I appreciate the reasons why they are there and it never gets said enough but its come to the point where it overwhelms a hosts of equally significant information such as the above. Pls man give peace a chance
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/8/2008, 8:44 pm

No one's gonna hassle you here. We know that if you deal with cobras on a regular basis, these guys should be a walk in the park.

LXDNG79 wrote:
1. I've read that no water is required whatsoever. To what extent is this true and why?

2. What are its eating habits like? I've never caught it in the act of eating yet so I'm rather curious. I think the slowly dissipating number of mealworms is a reasonable indicator of it actually eating but I ca never be sure. Furthermore how regularly should I feed it? The one i have currently did not seem interested in crickets.

3. Are desert scorpions susceptible to any kind of undesirable conditions in captivity? I'm new to desert species.

5. Do they need ample heat for any period of time? I live in a tropical country, so I never have problems with inverts succumbing to cold.

4. What is the lifespan and how many moults do they undergo?

5. Can anyone post on this thread a reliable picture guide on how to sex them accurately? Pictures of the underneath showing the pectines and the operculum for both male and female for comparison would be great.

6. Tips and advice in the event the scorpion needs to be removed from the enclosure. I have a pair of 12' tweezers but they don't have much grip on the tail of this species. They wiggle out of it very fervently. Currently, I use a cup to walk it over a lid in its enclosure.

7. How do we introduce a pair for the purpose of mating? How should we approach it? should we introduce the male into the female's enclosure or should we place them in bigger tank at the same time? What do we expect to see as indications of courtship behavior?

8. What is the approximate gestation period?

9. Are free-reigning scorplings as deadly as the adults?

1) Should be mostly true, considering where these guys live. If you want you can mist one corner of the tank every week or so.

2) Let it settle in for a week before feeding it. Then offer it a cricket. Then offer it prey as often as you do your other scorpions.

3) Yes, mycosis. That's all I'm aware of.

6) The cup method should work -- but I'd use the long tongs to "herd" it into the cup. Packing it for transportation is a different matter.

7) Introduce the male into the female's established enclosure so he has some pheromones to pick up. Expect to see juddering (the male standing on tiptoe and shaking) and possible sexual stings. Just remember that a scorpion is immune to its own species' venom, so the only thing to worry about is pincher damage.

Sorry I couldn't answer more questions. Best of luck with the breeding project!
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/9/2008, 2:25 pm

1) what i do with my desert species is give them access to a little water bowl when they fast because they get their liquid from their food so i get worried about dehydration. dont know if this has any truth behind it but is all i can say that mike hasnt!
Back to top Go down
H2O
Pandinus
H2O

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/9/2008, 3:39 pm

Nice Death Stalker Very Happy
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/11/2008, 10:36 am

that is ONE sweet looking scorpion. he is beautiful.
You meantioned about the cork bark. A hide should always be there for a scorpion to hide under. So a hide is 100% needed
xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/17/2008, 2:28 pm

Thnks guys... Here's an underside pic of the pectines.
My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Underb10
Can anybody please help me verify the sex?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/17/2008, 2:37 pm

Female? scratch
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/17/2008, 8:31 pm

I'd hesitate a guess of female simply by the way things are shaped -- but most of my experience in underside sexing is from Scorpionids and Vaejovids, not Buthids.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/17/2008, 8:32 pm

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/sexing-different-scorpion-species-f14/lq-request-t381.htm

~Abyss~ wrote:
Oh man what happen to my LQ sexing thread??? Oh well I'll do it again in a few minutes got some things to work. Nevermind i'll just write it quickly.
The easy way to remember is if you are getting a count in the 30's it is a male and a count in the 20's is female.
A males pectines also meet at the base like this /\ .A female's won't meet like that. They will be shorter and further apart / \ . If i can get you a pic I'll do it later.
-Eddy
Female by the way the pectines are shaped but I cant really count them

Last edited by ~Abyss~ on 12/17/2008, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/17/2008, 8:43 pm

id say female by the operculum shape, but those pectines ar enormus!!
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/19/2008, 5:10 am

I counted but i think its another picture as its clearer when he sent to me
It appear that it have more than 30 teeth which give me the idea that it's a he
Here's the picture
My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Lqqz1
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/19/2008, 1:59 pm

whoah dude nice job on the pectine count... alright.

Rafiq... quick post your lq's underbelly... we might indeed have a match...

Then Ryo and junshern will have slings to raise.
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/19/2008, 9:32 pm

Junshern raising LQ sling?
Haha, im worry about him
Hope he wont get tagged =p
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/19/2008, 10:25 pm

I've 5 of them. All of which are 3I s'lings. I mist one corner lightly about once a week. I feed them around the same time as well.

I keep a heat lamp on in the top shelf of the enclosed cabinet for a few hours a day (4-5) and the rest of the time they are about 75-80F.

None of them have molted yet and I've had them for almost two months now. I must be doing something wrong.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/20/2008, 12:38 am

No, you're just being impatient. Razz
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/20/2008, 12:51 am

Maybe i had it mixed up and the males have a split operculum....whatever Id's say male.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/20/2008, 3:57 am

We just need a underside picture of a female LQ to confirm this
Anyone have a picture to contribute?
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/20/2008, 5:10 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:
No, you're just being impatient. Razz
But I wanna add their excuvae to my jar o' excuvae! Razz

Actually I just want to, like many others, see how the little devils look after each molt (size 'n stuff).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
rafiqos
Centruroides
rafiqos

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/24/2008, 3:20 am

LXDNG79 wrote:

Hi there Alex! I have to apologize for not being able to upload pics just yet. I've busted my personal comp, and am having trouble looking for another station to upload all my things. Give me until next Tuesday or Wednesday to update you with pics on this thread bro. Being the type of character I am, I may remain apprehensive on passing anything this potent be it adult of offspring to just about anyone. I blame my parents for bringing me up this way.

Meanwhile, I have to congratulate you on the gems you found back at home. Longimanus breeding it is next few years!

Happy christmas to everyone here. santa
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/rafiqos
junshern222
Centruroides

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/24/2008, 9:25 pm

LXDNG79 wrote:

did i saw my name?thanks bro,for letting me to join your lq programme... cheers
Back to top Go down
junshern222
Centruroides

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty12/24/2008, 9:28 pm

RyoKenzaki wrote:
Junshern raising LQ sling?
Haha, im worry about him
Hope he wont get tagged =p

haha..i dun call myself a beginner now...[may be a bit forward than beginner ]
anw,thanks for yout concern..
Back to top Go down
rafiqos
Centruroides
rafiqos

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty1/20/2009, 1:58 am

I had a heated discussion with my parents last Sunday on the prospects of breeding my LQ, Alex. It looks like they are not really keen on where this is heading. Breeding the Deathstalker will not be the wisest thing they say, and I'm beginning to get their point of view.

I'm sorry but I'd like to call the breeding project off. This will be one of my hardest decisions made with regards to this hobby but with all my love and respect for my family, I will take heed. I've given it enough thought.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty1/20/2009, 2:27 am

You're 26 -- why should your parents have such a heavy say in your hobby?

What about a temporary breeding loan? Maybe loaning your Lq to Alex for the duration of the project and getting it back after babies are had?
Back to top Go down
rafiqos
Centruroides
rafiqos

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty1/20/2009, 3:47 am

It's a matter of responsibility Mike. Giving babies away to others is like dispensing trouble. The kind that will come back and bite you in your behind. There aren't plenty of keepers here where we come from, it's a really small community. When there's an accident (there is bound to be one (or two), and I do have reasonable grounds for saying this believe me I do), guess who will bear the brunt?

26 is just a number, I'll forever be their baby boy. My parents own me, I'm theirs and I have no complaints.

I am going to work on other species in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty1/20/2009, 8:35 am

Its kewl man its your scorp and your decision. I won't make a move without your consent. I'm also working on something else now. I've had 3 moults in the last 4 days And another Liocheles just had babies so I'm knee deep in cooc peat right now... No worries man Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding   My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding Empty

Back to top Go down

My 1st Death Stalker (Lieurus quinquestriatus) - in Malaysia! Need advice on Breeding
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next