The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

trouble keeping humidity up!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cmart822331
Hadogenes
cmart822331

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-11-22

trouble keeping humidity up! Empty
PostSubject: trouble keeping humidity up!   trouble keeping humidity up! Empty11/23/2008, 8:38 pm

im having trouble keeping the humidity up in my p.imperators enclosure. i have her in a 10 gal glass enclosure. im using coco fiber as a substrate. and i have 3/4 of the top covered with plastic. i cant seem to keep the humidity above 70%. i bought a digital hygrometer yesterday and installed it. i soon realized the humidity in the enclosure was under 30% so i decided to saturate the substrate. it did the trick. got the humidity up to 90%. this morning i found it had dropped into the mid 60's it didnt alarm me too much.. i sprayed the substrate down n got it back into the mid 70-80% range.. now it seems i have to spray every hour or so in order to keep it above 70% i also found that if i let the temp fall below 80 degrees F the humidity will rise into the 70's. or at least it seems. it only happened once so im not sure that its will happen again. im currently not using a false bottom, and though i plan to put one in, i dont have the extra cash to get the materials i need right now... so i need some advice on how to get the humidity to stay in the 70's at least... thanks in advance -Chris
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: trouble keeping humidity up!   trouble keeping humidity up! Empty11/24/2008, 3:39 am

How close is the sensor to the soil? Lower, it will read higher.

If it falls to 70ish, don't worry too much. They can burrow to find more moisture.

Misting doesn't do a lot to raise humidity, either; just dump some more water on the soil.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: trouble keeping humidity up!   trouble keeping humidity up! Empty11/24/2008, 3:42 am

Hmm ... Shouldn't this be under the emp forum or "Scorpions In General?" Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: trouble keeping humidity up!   trouble keeping humidity up! Empty11/24/2008, 10:48 am

It is in the emp forum . . . did another staff move it when I wasn't paying attention?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: trouble keeping humidity up!   trouble keeping humidity up! Empty11/24/2008, 12:09 pm

yeah, your best bet is just to dump water in the substrate. misting doesn't seem to do much, it just evaporates.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: trouble keeping humidity up!   trouble keeping humidity up! Empty11/24/2008, 6:26 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
It is in the emp forum . . . did another staff move it when I wasn't paying attention?
Was it really? I wasn't too with it last night ... drunken
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: trouble keeping humidity up!   trouble keeping humidity up! Empty11/25/2008, 4:08 am

If you dont have a false bottom set up and are pouring the water in as suggested to help raise humidity. Do it slowly and take your time!
I once made the mistake of pouring water into my pandinus imperator scorpling enclosure and due to all their tunnels, it got flooded and I nearly drowned them all!

PAY attention when pouring. A little bit at a time keeping a close eye on the level when it all becomes water logged

xxxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trouble keeping humidity up!   trouble keeping humidity up! Empty

Back to top Go down

trouble keeping humidity up!
Page 1 of 1