The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

What type of scorpion is this?

Go down 
+6
*Connie*
scorpion111
Venom
Rasputin
~Abyss~
itsme
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
skinheaddave
Pandinus

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-06

What type of scorpion is this? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What type of scorpion is this?   What type of scorpion is this? - Page 2 Empty10/24/2008, 7:03 pm

If you want to sort out Tityus from Centruroides, simply look at the dentition of the chela teeth. Over 12 rows = Tityus. Less than 9 = Centruroides. You don't need a microscope and a count in general, though -- it is pretty apparent since there is a fairly wide spread.

If the focus on the first picture in the last set had been different, we probably could have told. I would recommend getting a lot of light (take the pics outdoors in the sunshine -- that will give you plenty) and trying again. The key is going to be getting the "pincers" in focus -- if you can get them in focus and open that is even better.

Tityus aren't really "supposed" to be in Mexico -- but I have no problem imagining some species turning up on the Gulf coast.

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. When it comes to scorpion deaths in Mexico, the yellow stripey guys are usually the ones responsible, not C.gracilis. That being said, if there is a population of Tityus, some of those can be quite nasty.
Back to top Go down

What type of scorpion is this?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2