The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Heterometrus scorplings

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Heterometrus scorplings Empty
PostSubject: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/21/2008, 4:55 am

I need to get them properly Id'ed but I think they are Heterometrus laoticus.

The babies are now 1 week and 2 days old. I took the picture yesterday. I poured water into her little tank today. I dont know if she is trying to kill them. I dont know...they just dont seem to be growing and she seems to be out the hide all the time and in "dry" parts. Made me think about what happen to Mikes brood that he mentioned. So ive put water in and again the towel is and always has been on.
Maybe im just freaking out about nothing. Ive been cool about it for over a week now...the freak out has set in! but I know I cant do anything about it if she isnt helping them out and trying to damage them but I dont believe that she has eaten any.

Anyhoo, here is mum and mass of babies!

Heterometrus scorplings Hetero11
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/21/2008, 7:27 am

you shouldnt get so worried every time you get scorplings....you'll have a nervous breakdown!!!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/21/2008, 9:39 am

I hope they molt safely for you, Connie! Keeping the humidity extra high should help. Smile
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/21/2008, 11:23 am

sweet! you must have quite alot of scorps now.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/21/2008, 2:18 pm

im going to pour more water again tonight. keeping it nice and high! she is back under the hide again which is good. Maybe she is only venturing out of the hide because the towel is covering the tank.
She hasnt eaten any. I havent offered food as I truely dont believe she will eat.

The scorplings just look...flat. I dont know if some have died of it its just me freaking out and seeing them at wrong angles. All I can do is sit and wait and keep the humidity up.

I havent freaked out with this brood as much as the first one. Im only hitting small semi freak out Very Happy

I will just keep the humidity up.

The lid, full of slats is covered with cling film. I think that was the trigger as I kept forgetting so humidity wasnt as high as it could have been. On the Sunday I put the cling film. Humidity went BANG though the roof it seems, the hide was then moved and in the morning was scorplings!

Have to just wait and see. Im expecting them to be about 2 weeks before them come off mums back.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/21/2008, 2:19 pm

scorpion111 wrote:
sweet! you must have quite alot of scorps now.

In total and not knowing for sure how many scorplings...the number of scorpions I have is about...53 *eeek*
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/21/2008, 2:30 pm

i hope you are going to sell some of these or you are going to have no money in about 2 months...
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/21/2008, 2:33 pm

Why? Why would I have no money in 2 months?
They are going to LRC in a swapsies, to my neighbour..maybe about 2 and whats left will go to marwell zoo and possibly to go onto display.
But they will only leave at about 3I to neighbour and zoo. I will keep them all in one little tank until they are ready to go.
I wont be forking out on a load of money on little deli cups.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/21/2008, 4:02 pm

About them looking "flat" -- when my mordax first molted to 2I, I couldn't tell until I looked closely and saw that they weren't so fat anymore. It took them a few extra days to darken.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/21/2008, 6:23 pm

Maybe they are ones that have moulted but...with my pandinus and still on the back I could see, physically see that they were bigger. Their tails for example were taller.
They look the same only "flat"...like...melting away...maybe it is moulting but something in me, makes me think they are dying...

But again. its just a waiting game isnt it :goodbyekitty:
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/21/2008, 7:56 pm

my h.paucadins were like little fat maggots for about a week and a half, then they shrunk and sloughed, but they looked pretty dead until that happened. And with them being dryer climate species and noooo info on breeding and sling husbandry i just guessed and got it right lol! just added a little extra water the the 'damp' end of the tank.

I wouldn't worry too much hun you're doing everything right by the sounds of it. but it is stressful for the keeper when you get young scorps and you haven't had a lot of experience.

Im still a beginner with breeding and although looking forward to my brood(s?) i think i will be just as freaked out as you are. Especially when once again... i am about to raise slings that have noooo husbandry info on the net that i can find! OH JOY!

they'll be fine Smile
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/22/2008, 4:53 am

I checked this morning. Most are 2I on the back. So tomorrow we will be buying a little tank for the scorplings as I still think it might be nearly a week before they feel comfortable about coming off the back.

I think no matter how many broods I had gone though, I still think I would worry and stress as its my nature hehehe
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/22/2008, 10:14 am

Yay for successful 2I! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/22/2008, 12:45 pm

I know. woooohooooo!
One more week and im sure they will be roaming the tank and ready to be put into their new home. then I can put my adult pair back together in a bigger new tank
xxx
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/24/2008, 6:12 am

So Friday I noticed them to be 2I well last night one was off the back and walking about!
This morning nearly all of them were off mums back.

Im going to leave them for a few more days with her and will put in one live cricket to see if Mum will kill it and feed it to them Very Happy
I cant imagine she will allow it to harm them...or maybe they will all take down the cricket. if so I will pop in one more etc until all are fed!
This off course when they have darkened

Guess I gotta buy a little tank for them hehehe
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty8/26/2008, 5:12 pm

babies 1 week old today. all 2I and running about.
Decided to put in food for her/them tonight.
We tonged into the tank and didnt let go a locust *all we have* and she instantly caught it!
I thought she had eaten it but saw a 2I running about with a locust leg.

So we decided to pop in another for good measure. By the time we noticed it was too late but the body of the first locust is seemingly being munched on by the babies!
Oh well, at least there is a load of food in there. when they are darker they will be removed from mum and tank will be cleaned anyways.

I hate the idea that too much food is in there, but she killed the prey in seconds. It wasnt a "holding you so you dont hurt my young"...this was super fast kill!!!

Poor locust...

Anyhoo! the babies are doing well and mum is still looking after and seems to be killing food for them. Lovely.
Motherly love at its best!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus scorplings   Heterometrus scorplings Empty

Back to top Go down

Heterometrus scorplings
Page 1 of 1