The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Caraboctonus keyserlingi

Go down 
+4
corpselight
scorpion111
LadyRiotControl
*Connie*
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty9/23/2008, 5:05 pm

Yeah I kinda did that with my gravid SMP. I hadn't seen her in a while and was thinking noooo... leave her to it she will be ok. Then I finally lifted up the water bowl and found the entrance blocked up. So i moved a bit, then a bit more, then a bit more... you could see the direction of the burrow because of the different colour sand she had pushed up the burrow. Found her 6" down at the bottom in a collapsed burrow.

First thing she did when I got her out and put her in a smaller enclosure was go straight for a cricket so she must have been hungry.

So for the purpose of being able to get at the tiny babies when they come off her back she is in a slightly smaller enclosure so I can keep an eye on her.

I know I'm going to get a slapped wrist for excavating her so close to dropping but might have been a good thing I did!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty9/24/2008, 3:10 am

I think my grrls burrow has collapsed but it did it before and then there was a hole again. I think in the wild these things happen and they can get out.
Mine are only housed on sand at the moment. We just havent had the time recently but I know we are free this sunday so will be doing a coco fibre and sand mix for all their burrowing needs

and also for me to find out if they all are actually alive!
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

Number of posts : 503

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty9/24/2008, 5:41 am

Hey you two seem to be doing good with these guys, I should get them sometime today. How wet is your tanks? I have a good idea of how I'm going to keep them but I'd love pointers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/andrew273
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty9/24/2008, 6:56 am

moderate humidity. i spray once a week thereabouts. substrate needs to be damp enough to burrow.
That forest bed substrate seems to be a good substrate to mix with the sand, they're happy as a pig in a poke!

Being from huasco and atacama their temperature ranges anywhere from 16-27 degree's daytime. I had mine at room temp which is usually 23 degrees daytime and a couple of degree's lower for night and they seem to be happy without the need of heatmats.

Mine have recently moved across the room to a slightly warmer area upto about 25 degrees daytime and they're just as active as when they were at the cooler end of the room

Have had to re-arrange so we have room for new additions from the leeds fair this sunday. And if nothing of fancy at leeds I know exactly what im ordering off the net next!
Back to top Go down
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

Number of posts : 503

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty9/24/2008, 8:23 am

LadyRiotControl wrote:
moderate humidity. i spray once a week thereabouts. substrate needs to be damp enough to burrow.
That forest bed substrate seems to be a good substrate to mix with the sand, they're happy as a pig in a poke!

Being from huasco and atacama their temperature ranges anywhere from 16-27 degree's daytime. I had mine at room temp which is usually 23 degrees daytime and a couple of degree's lower for night and they seem to be happy without the need of heatmats.

Mine have recently moved across the room to a slightly warmer area upto about 25 degrees daytime and they're just as active as when they were at the cooler end of the room

Have had to re-arrange so we have room for new additions from the leeds fair this sunday. And if nothing of fancy at leeds I know exactly what im ordering off the net next!

I LOVE YOU! I love how you tell me exactly what I need to do. If I wasn't so far away I would hug you so much! Congrats, you're my best friend now!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/andrew273
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty9/24/2008, 7:29 pm

aww shucks!!!!

oh and give them a nice size stone or two... they burrow right under them
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty9/25/2008, 9:07 am

mine have some slate and they love to burrow under there. the long thin water bowl is also a good spot since they like to tiff over who will live under the water bowl!
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty9/25/2008, 9:16 am

aye they defo like to burrow under something like that dont they
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 1:40 pm

All alive!
the two possible males under some slate together. I guess their rift over the water bowl hide has been resolved...and the other, possible female burried under and HUGE!
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 2:41 pm

awesome connie!

One of my females had dug a big round burrow right up against the front of the critter keeper so i can see her, she has sealed off the top of the burrow, i'm hoping she is coming close to the end of her gestation.

as for the other females, one comes out and the other has also locked herself in her burrow as well. (the one that comes out isn't as fat as the other two)

The male is looking a bit lonely and fed up all alone in his tub lol!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 2:44 pm

All three are under the water dish *rolls eyes*
Im sure she will break away from them or make them break away from her if she feels concerned. I think currently they are all a bit shocked from the change.
I have pictures Very Happy
Sadly in some pics they look BLACK! but they dont look black at all!
Silly camera!
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 2:46 pm

preggo!!! that's why I want a few of these lisa, they are breeding machines.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 2:47 pm

photoshop lol! brings out anything that looks hidden!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 2:48 pm

My grrl was burried under. Just the two *males* were just under the slate. she was burried under the water bowl! *was her all along!* and no entrace.

I think they like to blcok themselves in when gravid. I didnt KNOW she was but im pretty certain she is now!
I will keep an eye on the situation!

but so far so good and noone has eaten anyone else! even sharing slate hide

xxxx
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 2:50 pm

all of mine were pregnant when i got them by the look of it. But hopefully will get chance to breed the young if the adults are to old.

Connie if you want to swap any juvi's for the purpose of breeding let me know Smile
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 2:57 pm

ooh yes, very good idea. I want to dip my hand into breeding but they already keep being gravid and popping babies on me!
I heard about the female and two males *possibly* of these and I thought OOOH YAY! BREEDING...but looks like someone got to her first before I could help and be a breeder *pouts*
UNLESS she is up for a moult...but since they have barely fed, she has been burried and when in the container was all READY for a fight and the males hid...makes me think she is agressive because she is expecting.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 3:06 pm

sounds possible. thats why i moved my females when they started chucking their weight around. would rather have a 'live' male lol!

At least when they come gravid, you may have to wait for the babies to grow but then you have plenty of stock to breed with, especially when you know other people with the same species.
But if we have any other species in common and you want to breed them give me a shout Smile
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 4:01 pm

Chubby grrrrrl *if she IS infact a grrrl and not just tubby...but...chances are...yes a grrl and maybe with babies....*
Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Sany0611

The Boys...all snuggled together while she in her container on her own was ready for a fight! Tail up...they just....tried to hide...bless em!
Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Sany0612

Males just after being put into their new "home"
Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Sany0613

And home.....for them. A nice place to hide so I can worry they are all dead!
Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Sany0614
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 4:09 pm

yup thats what two of my females look like. they haven't eaten in a few weeks now and getting fatter.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 4:13 pm

See im thinking is she due a moult. But....Im pretty sure she is an adult...as with the other two.

YAY someone is out and about having a walk...gah...scared the little one away by taking too many pictures....but its so exciting whem they are out!
Was in a GREAT post too but sadly, due to the glass and not being able to open the lid and get the camera down to the level...missed the pose Sad would have been good
for the contest!
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 4:21 pm

i can see the odd white blob mid membrane on mine. but the membrane looks to be pretty dark and thick and the young aren't that easy to spot unless mum kindly puts herself right up against the side of the tub!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/5/2008, 4:30 pm

I did try to look for any blobs but couldnt see anything. Will just wait and see what happens

xxxx
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/11/2008, 3:00 am

One was poking out from under the water dish. *they have burrowed under there, they dont care about the slate ive got in there!*
and I threw in three crickets. Ones gone, vanished rather quickly and I sat there, with the lights down for about an HOUR waiting for the one poking out to catch a cricket...one came close, touched its chela and ran off again.
I got bored/tired

Ive gone down to find a cricket half in and half out the entrace of the hide. I dont know if its being fed on but will just leave it for a bit longer before removing it.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/11/2008, 9:47 am

none of my females have eaten in a few weeks now. I leave the crickets in for a day or so and then take it out. but 2 of the females showed themselves last night, man are they looking plump!
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty10/11/2008, 10:38 am

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Caraboctonus keyserlingi
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next