The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Caraboctonus keyserlingi

Go down 
+4
corpselight
scorpion111
LadyRiotControl
*Connie*
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty
PostSubject: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/10/2008, 4:35 pm

Next week, im getting three of these little red scorpions. Possibly two males and one *seems to be* gravid female.
Im well aware they might be Bothriurus keyserlingei so when I get them I will ask you guys to take a look.

I havent been able to find much on the net for their care. Currently in the shop they are on sand with a hide...I did cringe when they said they were putting in wet moss for them and a water bowl...since desert I did think maybe that could be "risking" things but as Ive not had them before I just smiled and gave my deposit hoping they survive until I can take them home with me!

Does anyone know much about them?

I have been looking on here and some temps suggested.
Anyone know a check list of what I need?

Thanks guys.

Im used to tropical so going to desert type is quite scary tongue
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/10/2008, 5:21 pm

Cant wait to see them connie.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/10/2008, 5:49 pm

they are lovely!
Next week im picking them up Smile After I get paid again. Im hoping we can go and get them on Saturday Smile Pics will be taken ASAP to get them ID'ed but also to show them off!!

I just dont really know their care, so anyone who knows please let me know Very Happy

I will add a heat mat to the set up *currently in the shop they dont have one but it is super warm in there* but I dont think I will use a heat light until I can have them set up and secure in a shelf system! *hopefully doing that the following week*

*laughs* im buying more to be ID'ed yet I havent had my heterometrus properly Id'ed. I have a feeling as to what they are but need some confidence on what they are *blush*

xxxx
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/10/2008, 5:59 pm

cool!
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/10/2008, 6:30 pm

If you can narrow down exactly where they are then this site is useful. it gives you temperature graphs, humidity etc etc. I used it for my U.granulatus

clickerty click here!
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/11/2008, 4:20 am

hey Connie, i have both Caraboctonus AND Bothriurus keyserlingi. the difference is great...
if you know the general shape of bothriurids (kind of ovular lol) and blatantly cute, C keyserlingi has a more "typical" build...and alot bigger.
also B keyserlingi is dark chocolatey brown, with red pincers...C keyserlingi is reddish brown all over, except the pale underside.
i've found they both really like to burrow and hide...though B keyserlingi tends to dig less in a dark enclosure...might be true with C keyserlingi as well, but so far all i've seen is digging.
i keep C keyserlingi in a jar filled with coir, and it's often visible against the side. pretty easy to keep, really...i dribble some water down and feed sometimes, but it's not the fastest eater. occasionally i do see it at the top of the jar, but it immediately runs underneath when it sees me!
the B keyserlingi i recently moved from a jar type set up (thought it wanted to live vertically the way it burrowed! but it ended up sitting on top and not using vertical space at all) to a square tub, with loads to climb on and hide under...the lid is opaque, and for this reason if i take it off, i often see the scorpion on top!
i water it, but yeah being from Chile, i expect these are both quite used to harsh conditions...and thus pretty hardy.
there are other species similar to B keyserlingi out there...B coreaceus (rustier colouring, same Bothriurid build), B burmeisteri (brownish with more yellow legs), B picunche (bit confused on this one, as the one i got was striped yellow and black like a bee, but the place i bought it has a completely different colour!), and more...U granulatus is another representative, but i don't know if that'll be sold often
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/11/2008, 5:07 pm

from what I have seen they are very much RED and not brown.
But I will just take pics when I get them. Im not TOO worried at the moment about set up because they have survived in the shop so far!

Im so excited about getting them!
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/12/2008, 3:39 am

pics would be good, can hopefukky then get it down to genus if not species level!
i think both species are fairly hardy!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/12/2008, 12:23 pm

not until saturday Smile
We on Tuesday so the wait is on...*jumps up and down*
xxx
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/12/2008, 2:14 pm

where are you getting them from connie?
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/12/2008, 2:26 pm

a shop. I have seen them online at a lower price from the spider shop! but I already have these reserved and with a deposit.
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/14/2008, 5:35 am

i think it's likely they are in fact Caraboctonus keyserlingi, then...or at least a Caraboctonus sp., if they look like the pic on The Spider Shop...
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/14/2008, 11:42 am

I will for sure get some pictures taken. I cant wait. Only tomorrow to go through and then hello saturday and hello my new babies!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/14/2008, 3:30 pm

ok ive heard chile for this scorpion. cant figure out the linky you put lady.
ok you said coco fibre. Now I have no info on this scorpion but in reading what I can and have read on the net.........

Is this a scorpion that should be on sand?
the shop had it like this and I DID believe them but now...im chaging my mind! since I did report this shop to the RSPCA for having a pandinus cavimanus on sand!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/16/2008, 4:02 pm

So we didnt have time to pick them up today so are getting them tomorrow before the shop shuts.

Ok, is this ok for them *anyone know*

Sand
Hide
Heat mat

I dont know about water bowl for them? yes or no?
And misting...yes or no? if yes...how often. once a week in one corner or all over?

xxxxx
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/16/2008, 8:07 pm

they're a chilean scorpion, Huasco, Chile.

found on costal desert areas. As with my U. Granulatus they need to be kept at cool room temperature. at the moment the temperature where they are is reaching about 16 degrees C. so you want to keep them under 20 degrees C daytime temp. Although in my front room they get to about 24 degrees daytime. night time with all the windows open we manage about 20 degrees. which is still a bit warm for them but they seem to be ok.
Heatmat is defo out of the question, they are used to harsh conditions.

They live in planted area's so would suggest what i have done for the granulatus. 3 layers. bottom layer fine sand (i use river bed sand) second layer 50/50 sand/forestbed (or peat) and top layer a little sand to the forestbed/peat. Obviously making sure the substrate is damp enough so burrows dont collapse.

Shelter i have three pieces of cork bark made into a corner hide. This will keep them happy until they start burrowing. Water is provided by spraying one end daily and a milk bottle top with stones in with the water.

Getting some myself because you will no longer be able to get WC anymore, chile are closing the doors on indigenous species exports so keep them safe lol!

info on habitat

that map site!!!
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/16/2008, 8:11 pm

oh and one more thing.... DONT KEEP THEM TOGETHER!!!!! Defo NOT communal!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/16/2008, 8:56 pm

I'm glad this thread came up -- I just found out today that I'm getting a couple of these guys (I think). The guy who's giving them to me is a "tarantulas only" kind of person.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/16/2008, 9:07 pm

Thank you Lady for the info.
At the shop they are on sand. I will pic up some coco fibre at the shop and mix that up with the sand like you suggested.
All three kept together in the shop too.

I have read online that they can be kept in groups so now im confused at buying three together.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/17/2008, 6:01 am

Ok ive had a think. As they have been in the tank together for X time together. I will still buy all three but have had a word with the shop I normall buy from who said if any problems will take two...or the one if there is a death off my hands and I will keep the other one.

I will use the bottom of layer of sand they only have them on, then mix up sand and coco fibre together and then on top a sprinke of sand.
Hides will be offered.

Now with the three, if they are smart they will KNOW to borrow away from each other. And in the tank havent seemed bothered by each other.
As precious as they are...im going to try it but the first sign of issues they are all apart.
But the spider shop even mentions they can be kept in groups....

Anyhoo! I will take pictures for proper ID later today when I bring the them and we shall see what happens!
I will keep this updated.

They are so lovely and I dont want any deaths but Im going to try it. Nice deep substrate, lots of hides and a water bowl full of stones!

xxxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/17/2008, 10:38 am

well i've read in a few places so far that you dont want to keep them together. but if they are doing ok so far then possibly leave them with each other. Just keep a close eye on them.

Good to have this thread with a few of us getting these little fella's!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/17/2008, 1:40 pm

I have them home. Just cropping pictures and will post in the ID section. I believe I have three since one is under the sand. I do want to do the mix but they didnt have any coco fibre so we are going to the other shop some time this week.

They seem to be ok! exploring. im just annoyed about the moss that was in the tank and lots of little baby crickets for their food. ok. they can handle small crickets! They dont need to feed and try to catch fast baby crickets *rolls eyes*

They have a water bowl. A long shallow one. I want to see how they do but I dont think I like it being so big. but at least it will help to kill the crickets!
I have put in a cork bark hide and they have and came with some slate slabs.
I cant wait to clean it out and do it MY way instead of having the shops set up!

xxxxx
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/18/2008, 4:39 am

hey Connie, glad you're enjoying them!
i'd be interested in how communal they are...i know someone who reckons all scorps can in theory be kept together... and though that may generalise a bit, he had A australis and others kept in colonies, with no deaths until he split them.
however...i tried three S maurus palmatus together, with loads of space and hides...and ended up with one dead of apparently natural causes, one in pieces and another standing over the bits...so obviously something in my balance was wrong, maybe genders, who knows.
it seems to me that if yours were kept together, they are used to each other...so if you're watchful it may be worthwhile not to split them.
at any rate i wish you the best of luck!
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/18/2008, 4:43 am

IHeartMantids wrote:
I'm glad this thread came up -- I just found out today that I'm getting a couple of these guys (I think). The guy who's giving them to me is a "tarantulas only" kind of person.

tarantulas only? madness! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty8/18/2008, 10:06 am

Yeah, he doesn't know what he's doing when he has scorps, but he's one of the biggest Pokie breeders in the Northwest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caraboctonus keyserlingi   Caraboctonus keyserlingi Empty

Back to top Go down

Caraboctonus keyserlingi
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next