The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

my setup for hadrurus arizonensis

Go down 
AuthorMessage
soldierof4cheese
Pandinus
soldierof4cheese

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-02-27

my setup for hadrurus arizonensis  Empty
PostSubject: my setup for hadrurus arizonensis    my setup for hadrurus arizonensis  Empty2/28/2017, 9:27 am

This is my attempt to recreate the desert environment of the south west. First I have a 55 gallon aquarium that i have had since my emperor breeding days, its a 55 long, so there is plenty of room. Next I ran a 1/4" vinyl tubing down the corner of the back side, leading into the center of the bottom of one side of the tank. Next i used super glue in small amounts to attach the tubing, next I cut a piece of PVC pipe 1/4" in half using a up-rite band saw, i cut the length of the PVC the same as the protruding tubing. The PVC is used to cover the vinyl tubing from being crushed by the weight of the 1 inch layer of small gravel stones that will cover the bottom of the tank. Next is the sand and clay mixture to cover the gravel, i used 1" inch or 2" of sand. I let it dry good for a few days, then the slate and stone hides and caves are built on top of the sand mixture. I use a hot glue gun to fasten everything together, that way it wont collapse and squish anyone. After the hides are built, then cover everything with more sand and clay mixture, let dry for a week, during the final sand and clay I will add some cacti and decorations to simulate their environment. The reason for the water tubing is to create a burrow or hide in one corner for molting, by using a squeeze bottle of distilled water , i can now add moisture to the bottom of the one hide, it is the deepest hide and the only one that has moisture in it. I may in the future if this works add a small metering pump to deliver the water, since the bottom layer of gravel has so much surface area, it will help disperse the moisture and aid in evaporation. The hood once built will have two low watt ceramic heaters for day time, to simulate the sun on the surface of the ground and at night a small stick on flat heater in the middle back of the tank to create a warm spot, a small warm spot. Since the desert gets cold at night in the winter months, room temperature would be fine at night and during the day the surface would be warmer. Its all theory at the moment and the build is under way, I will add pics this week, my slate should arrive this week and I can start the build on the hides. Hopefully molting in this tank for hadrurus arizonensis wont be a problem, if you have any comments or ideas please share. Thanks
Back to top Go down
soldierof4cheese
Pandinus
soldierof4cheese

PostSubject: Re: my setup for hadrurus arizonensis    my setup for hadrurus arizonensis  Empty2/28/2017, 11:57 am

my setup for hadrurus arizonensis  5a9cb4eaa6
my setup for hadrurus arizonensis  5a9dee4666
my setup for hadrurus arizonensis  5a9eb3d6c7
my setup for hadrurus arizonensis  5a9f8467c7
Back to top Go down
soldierof4cheese
Pandinus
soldierof4cheese

PostSubject: Re: my setup for hadrurus arizonensis    my setup for hadrurus arizonensis  Empty3/5/2017, 11:50 am

moved this to the Arachnoboards forum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my setup for hadrurus arizonensis    my setup for hadrurus arizonensis  Empty

Back to top Go down

my setup for hadrurus arizonensis
Page 1 of 1