The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Gravid Heterometrus petersii?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
EmielVrolijk
Pandinus
EmielVrolijk

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Gravid Heterometrus petersii? Empty
PostSubject: Gravid Heterometrus petersii?   Gravid Heterometrus petersii? Empty10/27/2014, 5:29 pm

Hi there!

So... I assume I have a gravid adult Heterometrus petersii female... There's no way to be certain, as she was caught in the wild (not by myself of course, I only bought her :p).

Anyway, she got quite fat these last few months, even though she didn't eat that much. I bought her in January, and it took her about a month to start eating. Afterwards, I started feeding her either 1 dubia roach every 2 weeks, or 1 cricket every week. She ate quite often, with some sporadic fasting periods lasting up to about 3 weeks.

She started behaving strangely about a month ago: getting out before her daylight lamp turned off, basking underneath it, reacting very defensively to disturbances during feeding and maintenance. Then, one day (about 3 weeks ago right now) she started burrowing like crazy, while her lamp was still on. Up to then, she had been content with her hide, occasionally digging a small scrape, or doing some minor "bulldozering" to adjust her vivarium. No large-scale burrowing had taken place prior to that day.

The day after her burrowing was a feeding day, and she accepted one last cricket. The days after that, she gradually retreated deeper into her burrow, until I couldn't observe her anymore. She hasn't emerged since. That has to be 2 weeks ago now.

So, what's your opinion? Would this female be gravid, or not? What can I expect? How long does it usually take gravid females to emerge from their burrows with their young, and will she emerge at all, or will I have to catch the babies once they start wandering around at 2nd instar?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
http://www.disagreement.nl
EmielVrolijk
Pandinus
EmielVrolijk

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Gravid Heterometrus petersii?   Gravid Heterometrus petersii? Empty11/2/2014, 12:01 pm

Answering is not needed anymore! I just caught her in the act (so to speak) of giving birth to a bunch of scorplings!

Now... what do I do? I know I must leave her alone for at least a week until the little ones have moulted and start wandering around, otherwise she might eat them. I'll try to find a way to mist her substrate without disturbing her.

After that: how do I proceed? Once the babies start roaming around, can I safely disturb the cage, getting the mother out of there so I can safely isolate the scorplings in separate containers?
Back to top Go down
http://www.disagreement.nl
thegromgrom
Breeder
thegromgrom

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2013-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Gravid Heterometrus petersii?   Gravid Heterometrus petersii? Empty11/9/2014, 10:33 am

mist away. separate babies when they harden up at 2i
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gravid Heterometrus petersii?   Gravid Heterometrus petersii? Empty

Back to top Go down

Gravid Heterometrus petersii?
Page 1 of 1