The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

new to scorpions a few qs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
taycat
Pandinus

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-06-22

new to scorpions a few qs Empty
PostSubject: new to scorpions a few qs   new to scorpions a few qs Empty6/23/2014, 1:22 am

hi im getting my first scorpion on fri, although i will be keeping it in set up it comes with for a while i want to eventually do a live planted set up and was looking for advice on what to plant pls.
also in my wifes millipede set weve got some woodlice as well as in with kids giant snails, can i put them in with my boy?
not fussed if he eats them as youngest two have got colony of them a set up just dont want anything that might harm him.
also when i feed roaches/ crickets am i best using tongs or just put them in and let him find them?
have also read you can feed them pinkies, i have loads of them for my smaller snakes is that ok?
do i need to dust bits with calci powder?
sorry if all basic qs but rather get it right than my boy suffer.
Back to top Go down
IR_Slacker
Pandinus

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2014-06-21

PostSubject: Re: new to scorpions a few qs   new to scorpions a few qs Empty6/23/2014, 8:13 pm

taycat wrote:
hi im getting my first scorpion on fri, although i will be keeping it in set up it comes with for a while i want to eventually do a live planted set up and was looking for advice on what to plant pls.
also in my wifes millipede set weve got some woodlice as well as in with kids giant snails, can i put them in with my boy?
not fussed if he eats them as youngest two have got colony of them a set up just dont want anything that might harm him.
also when i feed roaches/ crickets am i best using tongs or just put them in and let him find them?
have also read you can feed them pinkies, i have loads of them for my smaller snakes is that ok?
do i need to dust bits with calci powder?
sorry if all basic qs but rather get it right than my boy suffer.

Live plants are cool but in my experience they are a hassle and tend to want to mold. Giant snails would probably be okay, however I am not sure if they leave any sort of toxic trails behind. Feed 1-2 large crickets per week, roaches are fine as long as they are small. If the crickets are not eaten in first few hours remove them as they can start to lay eggs, or start nipping at your scorp when it is trying to sleep. If feeding a roach, use tongs and make sure it is eaten because you don't want a roach laying eggs. Pinkies are okay for a treat once in a rare while. Calci-powder is completely pointless, just gutload the feeders.

I suggest reading the wikipedia links on google about Emperor scorpions, they are loaded with information.

Also, a 10 gallon tank is plenty for a single scorp, just make sure it has enough substrate to burrow, and a good place to hide.

Edit - Another note, (MOST) live plants will need light to survive, and scorpions do not like light. If you MUST have a light, use a low wattage infrared light, as scorpions cannot sense that as much. You can use a black light for occasional fun, as they will glow under it.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: new to scorpions a few qs   new to scorpions a few qs Empty6/23/2014, 11:27 pm

Have no experience with moldy plants yet but scorps tend to be landscape artists and may cause a tall plant to lean or soft-stemmed plants to be ruined. Plants also need lots of high that could be stressful depending on species. The light used could also heat up the tank or dry up the substrate as well.

Try using some low light plants like photos or peace lily if you really want to

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new to scorpions a few qs   new to scorpions a few qs Empty

Back to top Go down

new to scorpions a few qs
Page 1 of 1