The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... Empty
PostSubject: Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ...   Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... Empty1/12/2014, 3:22 pm

hello,

I have two centipedes coming Tuesday from ken and I did my own research but im not sure if googles information is correct

1) Rhysida longipes - im getting one that's 2 inches and I read that they only grow to about 3 or 3.5 inches. so im using a deli container.

but what humidity do these guys prefer ? should I keep the dirt moist ?

also how often do I feed it. im going to give it small crickets.

when it is an adult size I will move it to a 2.5 gallon tank.

2) Scolopendra Polymorpha - im getting one of these that is 3-4 inches and they grow to 6 inches

I read that I should keep this one dry ? is that correct ? ill just have a water dish in there

and im putting thisone in a ten gallon tank

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
deserthairyscorpion1
Centruroides
deserthairyscorpion1

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ...   Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... Empty1/12/2014, 5:43 pm

For the Rhysida longipes:
1.The humidity can be kept at about 70-80%. Yes, the dirt should be kept moist(but not too moist).
2.Feed it about 1-2 crickets every week.
For the Scolopendra Polymorpha:
I don't keep mine dry. I made this mistake, and it would not eat, even with a water dish. They start to act VERY sluggish. The dirt should be kept damp on one side, and dry(but note bone dry, a little damp) on the other.
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ...   Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... Empty1/12/2014, 8:31 pm

okay thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ...   Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... Empty1/13/2014, 12:35 pm

deserthairyscorpion1 wrote:
For the Rhysida longipes:
1.The humidity can be kept at about 70-80%. Yes, the dirt should be kept moist(but not too moist).
2.Feed it about 1-2 crickets every week.
For the Scolopendra Polymorpha:
I don't keep mine dry. I made this mistake, and it would not eat, even with a water dish. They start to act VERY sluggish. The dirt should be kept damp on one side, and dry(but note bone dry, a little damp) on the other.

Seconded for scolopendra. Half dry half damp with a water dish in the dry area and a hide on the damp area.
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ...   Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... Empty1/15/2014, 1:50 am

hey, ken said that the longipes is medium venom, but which centipede is worse to get bit by ? I need to know this.

here is some pics

they have already dug down into the dirt, im just worried if they will be okay underground and if they will come up to eat, well the polymorpha dug a tunnel and came up to eat, but after the longipes dug in, it didn't come back up yet so im a little worried about it

they should have a water dish rite ? I mean the polymorpha should rite? cuase I cant give the longipes a water dish cuase its in a deli container

Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... <a href=Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... 04810" />

Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... <a href=Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... 05210" />

Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... <a href=Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... 05010" />
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ...   Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... Empty1/15/2014, 6:15 pm

hey

as far as handling goes

do u guys recommend handleing or will they bite me ?

thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ...   Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... Empty1/16/2014, 3:35 am

No one in their right mind would ever handle a centipede. I'd rather let my obt climb up my arm
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ...   Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... Empty1/16/2014, 6:27 am

my obt got loose once cuase I tried to hold it and long story but after I finally caught it with my bare hands it ran all over my upper body before I got it back into its cage lo
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ...   Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... Empty1/18/2014, 8:15 pm

do u guys think the centipede will bite me if I hold it ?

I mean I seen the one is pretty fast and when I touched the end of its butt it freaked out

im having urges to hold one
Back to top Go down
deserthairyscorpion1
Centruroides
deserthairyscorpion1

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ...   Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... Empty1/20/2014, 10:25 am

I don't think handling is a very god idea. Centipedes are VERY unpredictable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ...   Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ... Empty

Back to top Go down

Need Help Setting Up Enclosure For Two Centipedes ...
Page 1 of 1