The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My Tityus serrulatus

Go down 
+2
ogopogo5000
Patcho
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

My Tityus serrulatus Empty
PostSubject: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty11/19/2013, 3:31 am

Thought I'd just bring everyone up to speed with my newest additions; two Tityus serrulatus juveniles, most likely 2i. I received them on October 31st, so only two and a half weeks ago and neither of them will eat. Now I know I'm housing them properly. Humid environment, ambient temps reaching from 80's to 90's, lot's of condensation to drink from, and two pieces of bark each. One at a verticle slant, and one resting on the substrate for them to climb under. On top of that, I don't do anything to stress them out such as constantly opening/closing lids, UV lights etc...

I tried giving them dubia, only to later find out that they hardly eat dubia roaches. I've also given them crickets, both live and prekilled. Never large enough to overcome the scorpions. They would grab them, sting them, and just sit there. Eventually (like 4-6 hours later) they would abandon their dead prey which was left uneaten. I was told they like B. lat roaches, so I had my friend send me some ooths and adult pairs which I'll be getting later in the week. If they don't eat the B. lat roaches, I fear there will be no hope for their survival. Hopefully Jag and Aini will get an appetite by Friday, when I intend to feed them. I've never had scorplings who were so picky about what they eat before.

Thanks for reading, I value all your input.
Back to top Go down
ogopogo5000
Hadogenes
ogopogo5000

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty11/19/2013, 3:48 am

Hey man remember bubblegum didn't eat for about 2 at one time. I still never get her to eat. I just leave her some beetles in her critter keeper. She ate one lol. Don't give up hope.
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty11/21/2013, 11:59 am

Could they be munching on prekilled without you knowing? If you left a few torn up crickets in the cage they might eat late at night when everything is dark and quiet???
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

PostSubject: Re: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty11/21/2013, 12:04 pm

Nope. Won't even touch prekilled prey. I'd take them all out the following night. No matter though, because I was told they like B. lat roaches, so I had a friend send me some. Should be getting them today actually.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

PostSubject: Re: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty11/25/2013, 12:40 am

I knew it would happen eventually. Found one of them dead a couple minutes ago -- it never ate. If the other one dies, I'm just gonna give up on this species.
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty11/25/2013, 9:04 am

I used to have a similar problem with my T stigmurus and i left some small mealworms in the tub. I found the scorp eating one of the mealworms about 4 days after i put them in there.

Similar thing just happened with a 3i R garridoi scorpling.

May be worth a try
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

PostSubject: Re: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty12/11/2013, 4:30 pm

So I'm just wondering if there's a special trick to raising the scorplings of this species. I had two 2i's but one died cause it never ate and I can't think of any other reason why. Then last week my other one ate an entire small cricket, but when I tried feeding her again she stung it, then didn't eat it and just left the carcass on the substrate. I was told lots of condensation in their enclosure is necessary because they drink a lot, lot's of humidity, and a good amount of heat. What am I doing wrong here? I read that they were supposed to be very good eaters. Do they need lots of airflow? Do they not like moist substrate? Seriously, I'm stuck here. I've had this one for a month and a half and she only ate once.
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

PostSubject: Re: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty12/11/2013, 4:41 pm

Does anyone feed flies to their scorps? Maybe some drosophila would trigger them to eat. I know it works with stubborn tarantula slings
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

PostSubject: Re: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty12/11/2013, 4:56 pm

I've tried flies before, didn't work.
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

PostSubject: Re: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty12/11/2013, 5:24 pm

How about dead prey? Crushed crickets maybe?
Back to top Go down
thegromgrom
Breeder
thegromgrom

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2013-03-31

PostSubject: Re: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty12/12/2013, 11:27 am

Can we see pics of your setup? That may be helpful.

Also, they will eat each other ;)Ive had them take lateralis, dubia, crickets. Sometimes they refuse food. Ive had some refuse and die, even from my last few broods, it happens. Theyre an uncommon and tricky scorpion species, which is why they command a higher price.

I keep my scorplings in a 4oz deli with a piece of leaning corkboard and they eat and molt fine, with notable exceptions, see above. However when i mist, I mist the entire enclosure, and ensure no scraps are left behind. Youve got to with these guys, theyre not as easy and hardy as their cousins the stigmurus which are possibly the easiest Tityus to raise and get broods from in the US hobby currently.

All of this is my experience and opinion.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

PostSubject: Re: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty12/14/2013, 5:02 am

Ok, here are some pictures. I have her in a deli cup with moist coco fiber substrate, some cork bark, and I keep her in the 80-90's in my closet. I also have a few lids to choose from. One with no ventilation, one with a small vent , and one with a big vent. If you can tell me what needs to change, or what lid to use, or whatever I'd be most grateful.

My Tityus serrulatus Img_0510

My Tityus serrulatus Img_0511

My Tityus serrulatus Img_0512

My Tityus serrulatus Img_0513
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty12/28/2013, 5:02 pm

Very nice! I love the coloration, they remind me of Rhopalurus:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Tityus serrulatus   My Tityus serrulatus Empty

Back to top Go down

My Tityus serrulatus
Page 1 of 1