The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-10-03

Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Empty
PostSubject: Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2    Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Empty7/25/2013, 6:21 pm

Hey guys I have become very interested in better understanding how to raise a healthy Haddy in captivity. I am conducting 2 experiments with 2 Haddys in separate enclosures using different methods of conducting just the right amount of humidity and living conditions in a Haddy's burrow to promote healthy growth or molting in order to reach adulthood.

My first experiment includes using a "humidity conductor" (2 bottle caps taped together with wet substrate inside) to produce the right amount of humidity placed at the bottom of the substrate. THANK YOU SO MUCH ABYSS FOR THE SUGGESTION Smile My hopes with this is to recreate a good RH that a Haddy would receive inside a burrow in the wild to promote a healthy molting process. Here is the picture below.

Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Haddy_10

My second experiment includes a sand clayish mix collected from the exact same area the Haddy lives. The suggestion to use material from the same area the scorpion lives is thanks to my girlfriend surprisingly haha. The great thing about this natural substrate is that I am able to drip water in the tiniest area possible so that moisture reaches the bottom of the Haddy's burrow this so far has proven to work with great success! All I need now is time. My hope with this experiment is again promoting healthy molting and creating a naturalistic burrow experience in captivity using materials gained from there natural habitat. Here are some pictures of my second experiment.

Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Haddy_12

Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Haddy_11

Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Haddy_13

Suggestions, constructive criticism always welcome Smile

Thank you,

Ted
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2    Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Empty7/25/2013, 6:49 pm

Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  129887 

Wow, with you, shaneshac, and I all working on our own experiments, we'll get good results for the captive care of juveniles, and for breeding this species! I hope they survive, I really do. I've come to love my Haddy, he's so full of curiosity, and always active. I just hope he doesn't die from his molt Sad

Anyways, keep up the good work and keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2    Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Empty7/25/2013, 9:52 pm

I really hope both of mine survive as well it will be an amazing breakthrough and the answer to raising these guys without problems Smile keep me posted as well to your results and altogether we will make the captive keeping of these guys a breeze! Glad to hear other people are working towards a common goal Smile
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2    Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Empty7/26/2013, 5:09 am

I have a female at subadult stage and she should moult soon. I was actually thinking of putting a water dripper similar to the ones used to provide rabbits a drink and sticking it deep into her hide

Keep us posted on these experiments and which works the best

Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2    Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Empty7/26/2013, 10:50 am

I hope both of these experiments work. The problem is most people won't have access to this substrate. You can have a monopoly on selling natural substrate of course I get 10% as your manager Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2    Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Empty7/26/2013, 1:29 pm

Shaneshac that water droplet system sounds brilliant if you could be able to control the amount of water though I feel like that would be the only problem you wouldnt want too much. Let me know how she does! Smile

Abyss Ill keep you posted on the experiment as well as everyone on scorpion forum. As for the substrate selling idea I am in if you are haha Smile
Back to top Go down
deserthairyscorpion1
Centruroides
deserthairyscorpion1

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2    Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Empty2/12/2015, 8:13 pm

Sorry to bump this, but did either of the experiments work?
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2    Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Empty2/13/2015, 1:38 am

No the female was really fat and now has slimmed down again with no offspring. On the lookout for another adult male now
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2    Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2  Empty

Back to top Go down

Hadrurus arizonensis experiments 1 and 2
Page 1 of 1