The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Parabuthus transvaalicus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
thegromgrom
Breeder
thegromgrom

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2013-03-31

Parabuthus transvaalicus Empty
PostSubject: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus Empty6/28/2013, 10:33 pm

1. Deliberate mating of an adult pair x2

* Brood status: Successful
* Instar of the male/female pair: 7i/8i
* Steps taken to mate the pair: male introduced to female's enclosure after placing some slate and pottery down for him to plant the spermataphore. She was fairly receptive, he was very horny, and she was fed amply beforehand until she refused food.
* Duration taken for signs of gestation: They start to really fatten up after mating, and start gorging themselves. 5 months they show embryos and fatten up and waddle for the remainder.
* Environmental conditions for the gravid female: 70% sand, 30% cocofiber. Waterdish filled weekly. Singleton hide next to heatlamp (~95 degrees), singleton hide away from heatlamp (~70-78). Heat gradient could have been better, as it was near my furnace, so the brood size suffered greatly. Both females were kept with the colony until 2 months before popping.
* Gestation period: ~7-8 months
* Number of young born: ~80/80
* Number of young eaten by mom: 0
* Number of young surviving to 2.instar: 30/78. First brood i separated too early, and didnt provide enough water. They died of stress even after supplying necessary water. PLEASE LEAVE WITH MOTHER UNTIL THEY LEAVE ON THEIR OWN. Other species can handle it early, with these, it is reckless.

This happened from 8/2012 to 3/2013. These are the first broods with the specie and mothers. They were paired immediately afterwards for round two.

Parabuthus transvaalicus 164623_10151326192300872_1863647752_n
Back to top Go down
thegromgrom
Breeder
thegromgrom

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus Empty1/19/2014, 4:44 pm

Brood #2 from the same female and brood #3 overall!

1. Deliberate mating of an adult pair

* Steps taken to mate the pair: female was fed up sufficiently and introduced to my largest MM at the time. They paired multiple more times over the past few weeks before introducing the other female and males to the colony.
* Duration taken for signs of gestation: They start to really fatten up after mating, and start gorging themselves. Heat, water, and food depending, 3-5 months they show embryos and fatten up and waddle for the remainder. Plenty of available water to drink, as well as a very hot basking end allows for faster incubation.
* Environmental conditions for the gravid female: 65% sand, 35% cocofiber. Waterdish filled bi-weekly. Singleton hide next to heatlamp (~95++ degrees), singleton hide away from heatlamp (~75-78). Heat gradient could have been better, as my cold end could have been colder. Both females were kept with the colony until 2 months before popping. She needs much more humidity than normal for the 2i molt, and post 2i. I lost another major half of the brood to it again.
* Gestation period: 8 months on the dot
* Number of young born: ~60
* Number of young eaten by mom: 5+
* Number of young surviving to 2.instar: 21

Parabuthus transvaalicus _20140119_143216

Last edited by thegromgrom on 3/3/2014, 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus Empty1/19/2014, 4:58 pm

Good work and thanks a lot for the great info Wink
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus Empty1/20/2014, 12:18 am

Ahhhhhh!!! Can't wait for mine to pop but our current weather conditions (quite chilly) are not making it easy for any of my pets.
Back to top Go down
thegromgrom
Breeder
thegromgrom

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus Empty10/26/2014, 7:43 pm

* Steps taken to mate the pair: female was fed up sufficiently and introduced to my largest MM at the time. They paired multiple more times over the past few weeks before introducing the other female and males to the colony.
* Duration taken for signs of gestation: They start to really fatten up after mating, and start gorging themselves. Heat, water, and food depending, 3-5 months they show embryos and fatten up and waddle for the remainder. Plenty of available water to drink, as well as a very hot basking end allows for faster incubation.
* Environmental conditions for the gravid female: 65% sand, 35% cocofiber. Waterdish filled weekly, water sprayed 2-3 times a week at different points in enclosure. Singleton hide next to heatlamp (~105++ degrees), singleton hide away from heatlamp (~75-78). B
* Gestation period: not sure
* Number of young born: 81
* Number of young eaten by mom: 0
* Number of young surviving to 2.instar: 81

Parabuthus transvaalicus IMG_20141026_093231Parabuthus transvaalicus IMG_20141025_232618
Back to top Go down
thegromgrom
Breeder
thegromgrom

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus Empty3/2/2015, 3:36 pm

another brood!

Parabuthus transvaalicus IMG_20150301_202327
Back to top Go down
thegromgrom
Breeder
thegromgrom

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus Empty10/1/2015, 4:58 pm

Yet another brood. This one from a larger, brown female that my friend Envyism gave me. This was totally a surprise, he was over and I wanted to pull her and the other females into separate brooding enclosures to find her with a brood! One male was sitting next to her, and as we found them, she batted him away with her metasoma

Final count of 65 good ones. 6 died due to being weaksauce

Parabuthus transvaalicus IMG_20150925_175347
Parabuthus transvaalicus IMG_20150925_175345
Parabuthus transvaalicus IMG_20150916_124235

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus Empty

Back to top Go down

Parabuthus transvaalicus
Page 1 of 1