The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

new to taking care of scorpions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
arachnonerd
Pandinus

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-06-13

new to taking care of scorpions  Empty
PostSubject: new to taking care of scorpions    new to taking care of scorpions  Empty6/14/2013, 12:00 am

i have been taking care of a scorpion for about 6 months he is healthy eats plenty drinks plenty and is active i recently looked at him and noticed something sticking to his torso (not sure what its actually called) i dont know what it could be if anyone could help me i would greatly appreciate it
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: new to taking care of scorpions    new to taking care of scorpions  Empty6/14/2013, 12:07 am

Do you have pictures?
Back to top Go down
arachnonerd
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: new to taking care of scorpions    new to taking care of scorpions  Empty6/14/2013, 12:14 am

i actually cant figure out how to post them
Back to top Go down
arachnonerd
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: new to taking care of scorpions    new to taking care of scorpions  Empty6/14/2013, 12:19 am

new to taking care of scorpions  Scorpi14
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: new to taking care of scorpions    new to taking care of scorpions  Empty6/14/2013, 12:24 am

Do you mean the lighter colored feather/comb looking things?

Those are his pectines (sensory organs) and his genital operculum.

If this is not what you are referring to, try to post a larger pic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

PostSubject: Re: new to taking care of scorpions    new to taking care of scorpions  Empty6/14/2013, 12:25 am

Your scorpion is just exploring right there. The two feather-like appendages are its pectines. They are very important for detecting mates, food, and other chemical trails. It looks like you need way more substrate. Your substrate also looks very dry and the scorpion would want at least 4 inches of substrate and you want the humidity to be around 80 percent.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

PostSubject: Re: new to taking care of scorpions    new to taking care of scorpions  Empty6/14/2013, 12:27 am

ditto
Back to top Go down
arachnonerd
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: new to taking care of scorpions    new to taking care of scorpions  Empty6/14/2013, 12:30 am

I had more substrate he moves it to the other side of the tank and when its moist he sits on top of his home when i do his cage this way he seems to be content. i had never seen his pectines before thanks for letting me know what they are i appreciate it
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

PostSubject: Re: new to taking care of scorpions    new to taking care of scorpions  Empty6/14/2013, 12:34 am

arachnonerd wrote:
I had more substrate he moves it to the other side of the tank and when its moist he sits on top of his home when i do his cage this way he seems to be content. i had never seen his pectines before thanks for letting me know what they are i appreciate it

No problem.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

PostSubject: Re: new to taking care of scorpions    new to taking care of scorpions  Empty6/14/2013, 12:35 am

No problem.

I'm actually very glad you posted this, you've reminded me that we have to update the scorpion anatomy page...apparently the image links are dead.
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

PostSubject: Re: new to taking care of scorpions    new to taking care of scorpions  Empty6/14/2013, 12:51 am

Scorpion19981000 wrote:
No problem.

I'm actually very glad you posted this, you've reminded me that we have to update the scorpion anatomy page...apparently the image links are dead.

I'm just glad he asked what they were instead of just going in and ripping them off and only then asking, after the damage was done.
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-05

PostSubject: Re: new to taking care of scorpions    new to taking care of scorpions  Empty6/14/2013, 2:46 pm

^^^^ Lol ^^^^

On the substrate being too wet and him getting up on top of his home... The substrate may be TOO wet. It doesn't need to be completely saturated. Just wet to the touch. If it's pooling or dripping when you pick it up it's way too wet. That may be why he doesn't like it when you get it moist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new to taking care of scorpions    new to taking care of scorpions  Empty

Back to top Go down

new to taking care of scorpions
Page 1 of 1