The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

When is it safe to...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

When is it safe to... Empty
PostSubject: When is it safe to...   When is it safe to... Empty6/12/2013, 6:05 pm

When is it safe to feed a scorpion after a molt?

When can I remove the exuviae and do other things that would cause disturbances?

Also, any other rules about post-molted scorpions I should know of would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: When is it safe to...   When is it safe to... Empty6/12/2013, 6:22 pm

Post molt scorpions are soft and fragile and more susceptible to die of dehydration or heat. I normally remove the exuviae immediately unless removing it might cause damage to the scorpion, in that case I wait for it to harden. As for feeding I normally wait 10 days as a rule of thumb. You can tell when the vivid color starts to fade.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

PostSubject: Re: When is it safe to...   When is it safe to... Empty6/12/2013, 6:49 pm

Well I pulled it so here it is:

When is it safe to... Photo-1_zps6542d2be

When is it safe to... Photocopy_zps5ca238bd
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: When is it safe to...   When is it safe to... Empty6/12/2013, 10:47 pm

Another good rule of thumb is if you have a UV light, you can always wait until it glows brightly (like it would normally). That's if you lose track of time though. Smile
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

PostSubject: Re: When is it safe to...   When is it safe to... Empty6/12/2013, 10:54 pm

Patcho wrote:
Another good rule of thumb is if you have a UV light, you can always wait until it glows brightly (like it would normally). That's if you lose track of time though. Smile
 That would be fun and easy, but I don't have a UV light. Sad
Back to top Go down
Envyizm
Breeder
Envyizm

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: When is it safe to...   When is it safe to... Empty6/12/2013, 11:08 pm

Patcho wrote:

That is actually a good way to make sure they won't be in harms way by the prey item. However, most species wont eat until several days after they've hardened. Make sure they glow, then give it a few more days.

Side note: I am rarely impressed by "tactics" used by op on the forum, but this one definitely left me with a voice saying, "dang, that's actually a really good idea". Great observation, my friend!
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-05

PostSubject: Re: When is it safe to...   When is it safe to... Empty6/12/2013, 11:25 pm

ShredderEmp wrote:
That would be fun and easy, but I don't have a UV light. Sad

Do you have a backlight? Or can you grab one? Don't leave it on them all the time, of course, but that's all you need. You can get them super cheap at like a Wal-Mart or any hardware store. Amazon also has some good UV flashlights that you can get for not much money.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: When is it safe to...   When is it safe to... Empty6/13/2013, 5:17 am

Envyizm wrote:
Patcho wrote:

That is actually a good way to make sure they won't be in harms way by the prey item. However, most species wont eat until several days after they've hardened. Make sure they glow, then give it a few more days.

Side note: I am rarely impressed by "tactics" used by op on the forum, but this one definitely left me with a voice saying, "dang, that's actually a really good idea". Great observation, my friend!
Thanks man! I'm flattered by the fact that you like it. cheers
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

PostSubject: Re: When is it safe to...   When is it safe to... Empty6/13/2013, 5:45 pm

What should I do with the exuviae?

Also, he has been walking around at night. Should I feed tomorrow like I normally do, or should I wait a little longer?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When is it safe to...   When is it safe to... Empty

Back to top Go down

When is it safe to...
Page 1 of 1