The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Preparing for first scorpion

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jerricko
Pandinus

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-06-04

Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparing for first scorpion   Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 Empty6/8/2013, 1:29 pm

Thanks.

My IR bulb popped during misting (I think the spray got it by accident). My brother made the suggestion of turning the light off before misting and switching it on when I'm done. It gives me an excuse of getting a stronger bulb. The moss is helping the humidity though.
Back to top Go down
Jerricko
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for first scorpion   Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 Empty6/9/2013, 4:21 am

Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 34euooz

Very feisty and defensive. He went directly to bask under the IR bulb. Though, I did notice that his claws have bit of a red tinge.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for first scorpion   Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 Empty6/9/2013, 6:12 am

If you can get a pic of him we can ID it for you but most Emps that are sold in SA are actually Pandinus cavimanus.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for first scorpion   Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 Empty6/9/2013, 8:11 am

Hello Smile

I waited a bit to comment, I wanted to see where you were going with this tank.

Looks good, but I really suggest you remove the cardboard from the terra.
If you block that ventilation in a humid environment with that heat, you can get mold/fungus very very easily.

I am getting the impression you have great fear of doing it wrong, and you are doing just fine.
Really remove those cardboards tho it is not good. You need a good ventilation.

Also, you already have a good lamp, but if you have trouble getting the temperature up, try placing a self adhesive heating pad to the back of the tank, they help a bit. I use that as a booster during the day for my desert species, and a heat source for the night, a cooling down is a Natural thing and just fine. Always at the back of the tank though, because burrowers must me able to get away from the heat.

Good luck,

And don't doubt yourself too much, really not necessary Smile
If you read up, get the knowledge you require and ask if you don't know or have doubts, you'll learn fast enough.

Take care,

Joey

Back to top Go down
Jerricko
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for first scorpion   Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 Empty6/9/2013, 8:14 am

I think he might be a red claw. He hasn't begun burrowing yet, but I think it maybe be because of his cage at the pet shop. The center of the cage hits 30c with the new bulb but it brings the humidity down. I've set the bulb to switch off for 15 minutes every hour, and I'll mist his cage twice a day.

EDIT
I removed the cardboard anyway because of how hot the terra was getting. I'm going to place a new layer of cling wrap on top for the humidity. At the moment, his behavior is the same as it was at the shop. Main difference is that he seems to love to bask under the bulb. He is at the moment too small to be sexed.

I have bought medium sized crickets; but the handler at the store said I can use superworms to fatten up because of winter.
Back to top Go down
F1refly
Hadogenes
F1refly

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for first scorpion   Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 Empty6/9/2013, 8:59 am

Looks good, but I really wouldn't worry too much with humidity, as long as you mist often it should be fine. Too much humidity can be just as bad as too little humidity
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for first scorpion   Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 Empty6/9/2013, 9:01 am

Jerricko wrote:
I think he might be a red claw. He hasn't begun burrowing yet, but I think it maybe be because of his cage at the pet shop. The center of the cage hits 30c with the new bulb but it brings the humidity down. I've set the bulb to switch off for 15 minutes every hour, and I'll mist his cage twice a day.

EDIT
I removed the cardboard anyway because of how hot the terra was getting. I'm going to place a new layer of cling wrap on top for the humidity. At the moment, his behavior is the same as it was at the shop. Main difference is that he seems to love to bask under the bulb. He is at the moment too small to be sexed.

I have bought medium sized crickets; but the handler at the store said I can use superworms to fatten up because of winter.

The temp is just fine.
No need for you to switch it off, that's unnecessary.
Try misting once a day and a weekly watering of the substrate, misting just gets the top layer wet.
It will stay moist a lot better believe me.

Emps like high air humidity 80%
Cavi's slightly less 70%

It's behavior is normal, it is settling in, exploring and deciding what to do.
My female Cavi did the same thing, it took a while but now has a complete underground tunnel system.

I don't think it is too small to be sexed actually, if you post a clear picture of the underside of the scorpion, I can try and take a look for you. Also, if you post a clear and in regular light made picture of the scorpion, I'll try and tell you if it's a Cavimanus or not.

I would suggest refraining from putting stuff over the ventilation holes, again for the mold issue.
Also, a higher temperature and more moist = a higher air humidity,but evaporation is higher.
Conclusion, mist a bit more, and perhaps try the watering method. Works just fine for me.

Fattening up?? Because of the winter...
That is in my opinion, nonsense. They go on and off feed as they choose.
Pandinus Imperator and Cavimanus do not hibernate, they come from tropical North Africa.....Ghana for example.
Crickets are fine, and some times a superworm also fine, don't make it too hard on yourself.

Joey

Back to top Go down
Jerricko
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for first scorpion   Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 Empty6/9/2013, 10:18 am

Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 Nwwpxz

As clear pic I could get of him sleeping (I think) on the warm side of the terra. The pic is somehow upside down.

He stood up against the wall earlier and his pectines just looked like small plates but based on the shape, I'm guessing he's a she.
Back to top Go down
Jerricko
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for first scorpion   Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 Empty6/16/2013, 2:14 pm

Finally got a somewhat decent pic of his/her underside. The teeth are incredibly small.

Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 A0xrmb

She has been the most active today since wednesday. She has taken to the hides for the majority of her time. I believe she had her first successful feed last night since I got her, because a cricket walked right into the hide she was is in; and, well...there is no trace of the cricket Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for first scorpion   Preparing for first scorpion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Preparing for first scorpion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2