The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Preparing for my 2nd scorpion

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ScorpTrek
Pandinus
ScorpTrek

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Preparing for my 2nd scorpion Empty
PostSubject: Preparing for my 2nd scorpion   Preparing for my 2nd scorpion Empty7/11/2013, 1:45 pm

Hopefully some of you remember my previous diary of starting out with scorpions. Recently, my first scorpion died and I am eager to get back into the hobby.

I have decided on getting Pandinus Cavimanus and have thus spent all of today working on rebuilding my Vivarium to house him. Im finished and wanted to share the results with you all: I think my 2nd attempt at a tank is better than my first!

https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/17/72/61/95/p1030310.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/17/72/61/95/p1030311.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/17/72/61/95/p1030312.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/17/72/61/95/p1030313.jpg

The tank has a false bottom [in the third pic you can see the bit of garden hose I used for a funnel] and is currently drying a little bit. Humidity is currently at 80% so its a little high. I think im going to order the scorp tonight as I wont get it for a few days and the substrate should be more than damp enough by then.

Im quite proud of this new set up [and my first go at a false bottom!]: hope you all agree!

Oh, can I ask for one little bit of advice please?

What is the difference between 'Large Unsexed' and 'Adult Male/Female' ?
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for my 2nd scorpion   Preparing for my 2nd scorpion Empty7/11/2013, 2:20 pm

Large unsexed usually it is not yet an adult and the gender is not known. The other is self explanatory.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for my 2nd scorpion   Preparing for my 2nd scorpion Empty7/11/2013, 4:12 pm

Looking good man. P.cavimanus like it a bit drier than P.imperator so get the humidity to about 65-70 .
Good luck! Smile
Back to top Go down
ScorpTrek
Pandinus
ScorpTrek

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for my 2nd scorpion   Preparing for my 2nd scorpion Empty7/14/2013, 10:42 am

Hi guys, im going to order my Cavimanus today and I have one last question: Should I get a male or female? I dont want to risk one being gravid if WC...hmm....im thinking of using this site: http://www.bugzuk.com/insects/scorpions/pandinus-cavimanus-africanus-african-red-clawed-scorpion

Any help appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for my 2nd scorpion   Preparing for my 2nd scorpion Empty7/15/2013, 5:24 pm

ScorpTrek wrote:
Hi guys, im going to order my Cavimanus today and I have one last question: Should I get a male or female? I dont want to risk one being gravid if WC...hmm....im thinking of using this site: http://www.bugzuk.com/insects/scorpions/pandinus-cavimanus-africanus-african-red-clawed-scorpion

Any help appreciated!

I like your tank:)

However, as a Cavi owner myself, I can tell you you might wake up one morning and find it all, plowed and or destroyed... They dig... A lot;)

As for the choice of sex, if you want to be certain you won't get a gravid female... Choose a male..
I of course can't tell if its hard for you to get scorpions, but I suggest getting a captive bred specimen, you have less chance of parasites, and the species is relatively easy to breed.

Other than that, females tend to get a bit bulkier, but it doesn't make much difference, both make good pet scorpions.

Joey
Back to top Go down
ScorpTrek
Pandinus
ScorpTrek

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for my 2nd scorpion   Preparing for my 2nd scorpion Empty7/16/2013, 12:58 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I ordered a male last night [as you said, didn't want to risk a gravid one] hopefully he will be healthy and parasite free.

In Scotland it feels a little tricky to get hold of them, I really wanted a Cavimanus and the only ones I could find from UK breeders were WC. My last scorpion was too so fingers crossed all will be well.

Im amused at the thought of my new Scorp trashing my nice new vivarium...but its his house so he can do as he wishes. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
lweigle
Hadogenes
lweigle

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for my 2nd scorpion   Preparing for my 2nd scorpion Empty7/22/2013, 11:38 pm

Its a little late now but for future keep in mind with the false bottom set ups that scorpions love to burrow and if you use the clay balls you might just wake up one morning and find a bunch of clay balls at the entrance the scorpion burrow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for my 2nd scorpion   Preparing for my 2nd scorpion Empty

Back to top Go down

Preparing for my 2nd scorpion
Page 1 of 1