The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt

Go down 
+6
shadowfoot
Bayss
Kale
Yames
cody1984
~Abyss~
10 posters
AuthorMessage
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty
PostSubject: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/10/2013, 2:26 pm

First of all excuse the quality of the pictures my camera is out of commission for a while so I had to use my phone and I also didn’t want to disrupt the mating so I just snapped a few photos without flash. I had to use my phone editor to make these as clear as possible. In about a year or so I’ll post a full breeding report this is just for the actual mating process. The male is loan from Shuffle3 (Erik) who graciously allowed me to use his stud. I introduced the male to the female enclosure and you could immediately see his pectines picking up the phermones and he located the female within 30 seconds. After a few jabs at her sides to coax her out of her hide he immediately began the promenade à deux. The only flat surface in there was a small piece of clay that the famels uses as a hide so I had much larger square piece extra that I threw in there for a better results. However the male seemed to only want to stay on the smaller piece, most likely due to scent of the female all over it. They spent about 10 minutes and I took my eyes off for about 30 seconds and when I came back they had unlocked and a spermatphore was found. Was it succesful? I’m not sure because the small rock seems like it wasn’t a good angle, so I seperated the male and will attempt again a few times to see if they’ll attempt another mating ritual. But I think it was succesful.

Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  A_bico10

Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Sperm10
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
cody1984
Centruroides
cody1984

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2012-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/10/2013, 2:29 pm

Awesome i hoe it was a success need lots more of these in the hobby they are awesome Smile
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/10/2013, 7:10 pm

Terrific pics Eddy and best of luck.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
Kale
Hadogenes
Kale

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/10/2013, 8:13 pm

Glad to hear it man. I'm also working on a breeding project with this species too as soon as I get a male.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/11/2013, 3:08 am

Great shots Eddy! I seriously hope it's a successful mating. Good luck man cheers
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/11/2013, 8:50 am

Congrats and good luck. My bicolor gave me one of my largest broods ever, 55 slings. Hope you get even more Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/11/2013, 4:35 pm

shadowfoot wrote:
55 slings.

Jebus!!!

Good luck, Eddy.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/11/2013, 5:51 pm

55 is pretty normal. One German I know of got 107 from his P.transvaalicus... Shocked
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/11/2013, 6:00 pm

Make that 118 --> http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=23960&start=75
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/11/2013, 6:40 pm

Surprised
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/12/2013, 2:03 am

Awwwww yeah. Breeding the army of fat-tails.
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/13/2013, 8:09 am

Best of luck with that!

Is it usually better to put the male into the female enclosure or a neutral tank so there is no terrotorial tendencies to kill of the intruder?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/13/2013, 10:54 am

Yeah i do male to female, only becuase the female would have left her phermone scent all over the enclosure.
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/13/2013, 10:59 am

Ok thanks, at what point do you decide the female is not up for it!!

I am planning to put my Haddies together this week and for some reason she actually looks gravid already, but I cannot see any embryos

Worried she may try to kill my male if she is in fact gravid

Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/13/2013, 1:21 pm

If the female is gravid she won’t mate so best advice is just keep an eye on them. If they’ve been housed separately the male would normally try to mate immediately or least search around for the female. But keep in mind females are usually bigger than the males so it might just be that’s throwing you off.
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/13/2013, 6:18 pm

Haha there is not much size difference apart from the female being a lot fatter.

I shone her with a torch earlier and i think i saw some white shapes. Will try and take a picture and get your opinion
Back to top Go down
freedumbdclxvi
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/21/2013, 5:24 pm

Good luck! I am going to attempt pairing mine once they mature.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/21/2013, 6:16 pm

how far along are they?
Back to top Go down
freedumbdclxvi
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/21/2013, 10:54 pm

Based on their size, I would say around 5th instar.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty5/22/2013, 10:36 am

Not too long of a wait then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt    Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt  Empty

Back to top Go down

Androctonus bicolor breeding attempt
Page 1 of 1