The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Glass Enclosures (With dividers)

Go down 
+3
Callum B
~Abyss~
Wattsy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2013-03-11

Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty
PostSubject: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 4:38 pm

Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me an idea as to whether or not it's possible to get hold of glass tanks for example 4-8ft long with several dividers already made into the tank, that or just where you can get cheap small enclosures that I could put 4-6 in a row of; was thinking i prefer long flat tanks to the cubed ones though.

I really wanna make a nice clean glass setup for numerous species as I progress and want to be able to create a perfect environment long before introducing any species to them. I saw a really nice setup in the "show off your enclosures" thread where there were numerous people using some very nice 2 x glass tank with light setups as well as one person who had what appeared to be a row of around 6-8 tanks all of which had maps of their origin on.

Examples of some of the setups I liked:

Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Img_1711
From "Kejser"

and

Glass Enclosures (With dividers) 6_scorpions_terrarium_004
from "Hauser"

They are awesome and a similar setup would really look nice as my top shelf in the cupboard I'm currently converting.

Thanks,

George
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 4:50 pm

You should contact both of them to see where they get them. I'm in the Process of doing something similar but nowhere near as fancy
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 5:06 pm

If you are in the UK I can recommend a great glass aquarium/terrarium builder who is very reasonably priced.
Back to top Go down
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 5:10 pm

I am in the UK indeed Smile
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 5:13 pm

Just spied on you and noticed you're from London Laughing

http://www.customaquaria.co.uk/index.htm Give them a call with what you want and Matt (I think that's his name) will give you a very reasonable quote. Extremely nice guy as well. He's also at nearly every UK reptile/invert show.

His prices work out cheaper than the equivalent sized Clearseal tanks (the main supplier/manufacturer of glass aquaria in the UK) and he also fits them with decent lids with proper ventilation, not the crappy plastic things that come with the clearseals.
Back to top Go down
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 5:15 pm

Ah nice, I'll be sure to check them out and get a quote on a bulk order in the next few months. Life saver Callum Smile

Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 5:16 pm

This pic doesn't show them very clearly but it gives you an idea of what Custom Aquaria tanks look like.

Glass Enclosures (With dividers) DSCN1653

Edit: they're the tanks with the black trim and gold labels.
Back to top Go down
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 5:26 pm

I see they're very nice and have almost identical appearance to the clearseal design, how much did they set you back roughly? By the looks of it I'd be better buying numerous ones and just setting them up in a nice row.

Back to top Go down
Mako
Centruroides
Mako

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 5:38 pm

Hopefully you are not planning on keeping hot specimens in glass enclosures. I would go acrylic.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 5:48 pm

Yer, I also thought about using dividers in one large tank for each shelf, but decided on separate tanks so that I can move them around easily.

I think it was somewhere in the region of £200 for 13 tanks.

No hots in my glass tanks. They'll one day be going in here.........

Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Th_DSCN1659

But may I ask why you shouldn't house them in glass enclosures?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 6:01 pm

Keith has a really strong opinion about hots and that all precautions should be taken to contain them. I have a strong argument for you now Keith, I just rehoused your LQ into a glass container. Why? because LQ’s are good climbing the little bit of minerals that can build up in plastic or acrylic. Smooth strong glass gets less build up. Aha!
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 6:22 pm

I was under the impression glass would be smoother than that of acrylic but I'm an ammeter, assuming of course they were perfectly polished as any substrate or dirt left on the glass or acrylic could aid in them climbing ? or am i wrong?
Back to top Go down
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 6:23 pm

But no I'm a newbie so no hot specimens any time too soon, much as I hope to one day reach the level of Fat tails etc, I won't allow myself to purchase such creatures without the correct experience, not to mention here in England I'm pretty sure we need DWA for most of them.
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 6:57 pm

In the second pic, are those simple spotlight bulbs?

Will so much light be good for a scorpion?
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 7:03 pm

As long as they are only on during the day i.e. providing a natural day/night cycle, and the scorpion is able to be able to shelter within a hide or burrow, there is nothing wrong with using this method. Plus, it looks fantastic.
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 7:12 pm

I agree it looks good. Trying to figure out hoe they are supported at the top
Back to top Go down
Mako
Centruroides
Mako

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/13/2013, 7:36 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
Keith has a really strong opinion about hots and that all precautions should be taken to contain them. I have a strong argument for you now Keith, I just rehoused your LQ into a glass container. Why? because LQ’s are good climbing the little bit of minerals that can build up in plastic or acrylic. Smooth strong glass gets less build up. Aha!

I have 5 LQ's at home that do no such thing same with my A.a'S and my A. bicolors. all have been kept in plastic/ acrylic for over a year. Where is the argument for that.

If you wanna run glass.. no problem its your business.
Back to top Go down
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/22/2013, 7:41 am

Can't believe it took me this long to realize, but after more searching around I've found that I live roughly 10 minutes away from http://www.customaquaria.co.uk base. I was only aware of Rushden Reptile Center in this area, so this makes the pursuit of glass enclosures way more feasible, many thanks Callum!
Back to top Go down
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/23/2013, 3:34 am

Callum B wrote:
Yer, I also thought about using dividers in one large tank for each shelf, but decided on separate tanks so that I can move them around easily.

I think it was somewhere in the region of £200 for 13 tanks.

No hots in my glass tanks. They'll one day be going in here.........

Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Th_DSCN1659

But may I ask why you shouldn't house them in glass enclosures?

OK, what would the technical reason be?
Back to top Go down
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/23/2013, 6:50 am

From what I gather keeping hot species in glass is just a bad idea due to glass smashing if/when knocked off of where it is, personally I have never seen any enclosure of mine fall or be knocked in my history of keeping various animals over 10 years, but I would assume every precaution must be taken. I think also many people from other areas of the world probably experience tremors and quakes whereas here in England we're yet to suffer those problems. All in all it's my understanding that if you're to keep a species of any kind that could potentially harm you or others, you simply do everything you can to prevent such occurrences.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/23/2013, 8:54 am

Glass is fine to use. It's your choice. Glass doesn't just break, you have to actually do some damage before it shatters or breaks. If you are a clumsy person then stay clear of glass. I have never in all my life broken a glass enclosure, it's not something that just happens.
Back to top Go down
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/23/2013, 9:48 am

I personally believe glass to be fine, I know I'm a newbie when it comes to scorpions but I'm yet to see a glass enclosure smash. Plus I think glass gives a far nicer, more professional finish. Also glass appears to be a lot cheaper than some of these quite frankly extortionate clear acrylic enclosures which I assume are only so expensive due to marketing them as "unbreakable" or something lol
Back to top Go down
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty3/24/2013, 3:37 am

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glass Enclosures (With dividers)   Glass Enclosures (With dividers) Empty

Back to top Go down

Glass Enclosures (With dividers)
Page 1 of 1