The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New member with slight problem

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
John Howe
Pandinus
John Howe

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-10-04

New member with slight problem Empty
PostSubject: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty10/4/2012, 5:07 pm

Hello everyone, i have 2 forest scorpions in a tank, 24x10x10 and the larger of the 2 keeps chasing the other around the tank and lunging at it, it also looks as though they are stinging each other, but it doesnt look violent, could they be fighting or mating?
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-10-03

PostSubject: Re: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty10/4/2012, 5:34 pm

Well my opinion is that they are fighting but it really depends on how long they have been living with each other and what the sex of both scorpions are I am assuming they are emperor scorpions? I do have a solution that might work for your fighting problem though and that is to put food into the tank to kind of distract them from the fighting if that is truly what the behavior is. Emperor scorpions hunt in packs mainly if kept in cages together, so putting food in the tanks with them when introduced to each other may solve the issue but I am not sure if it is too late for this. If I were you I would separate them and start over because I certainly wouldnt want them killing each other. This is just my opinion though I would get more facts about it before making any major changes, and welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
John Howe
Pandinus
John Howe

PostSubject: Re: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty10/4/2012, 5:43 pm

thanks for the reply, they are forest scorpions, i already had a male, and i got a new female today, i took the male out of the tank and gave the tank a overhaul, new coco substrate, new cork tunnels & hides, then put them both in the tank at the same time, they have been together all day but they have just seen each other tonight, it doesnt look really violent either lol, i already added some black crickets (4) to try and distract them, they not fighting now, just 1 is in a hide and the other (larger male) is walking around the tank, the temp is 29deg and humidity is 90%
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty10/4/2012, 6:46 pm

No Problem. Sounds like you figured it out then usually if there is food in the tank they should be good on behavior and not fight quite so much but I am thinking it wont happen too much anymore if at all. Its hard to consider what is violent or not with scorpions so you just kind of have to go with the flow and see what happens. Sounds like there living conditions are great and temperature and humidity is perfect as well. But another thing as well too if there is too much food in the tank I have found that this stresses them out as well and especially if they are getting acclimated to a new environment so just make sure to keep feeding at an amount that is appropriate for how many you have and you should be good.
Back to top Go down
John Howe
Pandinus
John Howe

PostSubject: Re: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty10/4/2012, 6:52 pm

i was thinking of taking 2 of the crickets out tomorrow if they not been eaten lol, they seem to be passing each other ok now, so hopefully they have sorted out who is top dog so to speak lol, thanks for your replies, ill try and get some pics up asap Smile
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty10/4/2012, 7:28 pm

Sounds like a good idea adults usually dont require a lot of feeding compared to younger scorpions. Glad to hear that things are working out, and no problem I love helping out any way I can, and I would love to see pictures. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty10/4/2012, 9:13 pm

How much smaller is the female? Is it significantly younger? You will also want to make sure you have multiple hides available so the retreating combatant has somewhere to hide. As well as to make their own territory should they decide to not co habitat the same hide.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
John Howe
Pandinus
John Howe

PostSubject: Re: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty10/4/2012, 9:27 pm

Its not much smaller Yames, both have a dark sting, id say the biggest is about 4in and the smaller about 3in, i have about 3in substrate, then in 1 corner a half buried L shaped cork tube, it goes the full depth of the tank to about half way down the length, then another cork tubing with 2 entrances, a flat rock and water bowl, i have some moss on top of the L shaped cork and a little on the other, they seem to be getting on together now, both in seperate cork tubes, when they come across each other there is a little gripping of the claws, but neither of them are attacking any other part of the body, the bigger of the 2 seems to lift up and hit its claws on the floor, but as i said they dont seem to be fighting like they was when they first met each other
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty10/5/2012, 12:54 pm

Fantastic they just had to figure out their new living conditions. Hopefully you will see them mate and have your hands full will baby scorpions too.
Back to top Go down
John Howe
Pandinus
John Howe

PostSubject: Re: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty10/5/2012, 1:14 pm

i was wondering, what would be the likelyness of my scorpions being different species, i bought my female from The Spider Shop, and the male from my local pet store, both of which had the same latin name, what would happen if 1 of them is the Emp scorpion and the other a forest scorpion? would they kill each other? or would they get along and mate?
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty10/5/2012, 2:19 pm

Different species would not get along and there's a good chance one would try to kill the other. One difference between Emperors and Asian Forest Scorpions (Heterometrus sp.) is the surface of the chelae (claw). Emperor chelae have a very rough bumby surface, while the chelae of a AFS is smooth, or at least, much less granulated. Use google to search for images of the two species and you'll see the difference.
Back to top Go down
John Howe
Pandinus
John Howe

PostSubject: Re: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty10/5/2012, 5:27 pm

i would say both have little bumps, 1 does look a little smoother than the other, but both have bumps, 1 has a few more hairs on them than the other, but the larger of the 2 i think was rough handled in the shop, because i saw the way he picked it up and then dropped it back in the tank, thats what made me want to get it, to save it, but from me posting last night, they have both got there own space, both have eaten a big black cricket each and this morning had a little grip of each others claws, then went seperate ways into there hides for the day, they are just waking up now, so ill post what they do lol.
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty10/5/2012, 10:36 pm

If they had the same listed Latin name and look fairly similar then it's more then likely they are the same species. Pictures would be very helpful here as most of these members can tell the age, species, sex, location and general mood of your scorpion with an 8x10 glossy alone. But all joking aside we have some very smart scorpion fans here and everyone likes show and tell. Take some pictures and ones from underneath so we can see the pectines too. If you can.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member with slight problem   New member with slight problem Empty

Back to top Go down

New member with slight problem
Page 1 of 1