The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Starting Out: A Beginners Diary

Go down 
+8
AaronCo2
Callum B
Scorpion19981000
DolbyR
shadowfoot
Jay
**GS**
ScorpTrek
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty8/14/2012, 7:12 am

Congrats on your new addition Smile
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty8/14/2012, 7:22 am

Very nice scorpion you got there!
Scorpions are indeed very "different" compared to the more conventional pets but much more rewarding imo.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty8/14/2012, 12:12 pm

Congrats!
Welcome to the addiction! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
ScorpTrek
Pandinus
ScorpTrek

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty8/20/2012, 3:30 pm

Haha, thanks guys. I appreciate you all following my thread and chipping in with support.

I have tried feeding him again last night but today the cricket is still alive. Im kinda nervous now as its such a nice Scorpion and it seems happy other than this fast its on.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty8/20/2012, 3:41 pm

Looking good man.

Don't worry about it not eating yet. Try offering a cricket again in a few days.

Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty8/20/2012, 5:52 pm

Callum B wrote:

Don't worry about it not eating yet. Try offering a cricket again in a few days.

+1
Scorps go on very long fasts when they want to, my one Parabuthus granulatus male went 6 months without food. As long as it doesn't lose condition everything is good.
Back to top Go down
ScorpTrek
Pandinus
ScorpTrek

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty9/11/2012, 1:45 pm

Diary #10

So its been a week or two since my last post and s/he still wont eat. Thought thats not my biggest concern at the moment....

The scorpion has climbed the background entirely and is sitting atop of it. Like, a centimetre from the roof and I cant convince it to come back down. No, he climbed up...so he should be able to climb back DOWN right? Or is it time for me to mount a rescue?
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty9/11/2012, 2:21 pm

How long has he been up there?
Back to top Go down
ScorpTrek
Pandinus
ScorpTrek

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty9/11/2012, 3:34 pm

Two evenings. He loved climbing it half way then walking back down. 2 nights ago he went to the top and hasn't came back down. Im mildly concerned.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty9/11/2012, 5:20 pm

Has he wedged himself in somewhere? If it was me I would just take him down.
Another possibility is that he likes the conditions up there(I could be wrong) and that its either too cold or something down at the bottom.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty9/12/2012, 7:08 am

shadowfoot wrote:
If it was me I would just take him down.
Another possibility is that he likes the conditions up there(I could be wrong) and that its either too cold or something down at the bottom.

+1

What kind of background do you have?
To avoid possible injuries, I wouldn't put anything climbable as background.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
ScorpTrek
Pandinus
ScorpTrek

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty9/13/2012, 2:05 pm

He is still up there. Im not very worried about temperature. The thermometer says its 26 at the side of the tank away from the bulb. I am however, concerned about getting him down.

The background is a foam background that came with the tank. He can climb it so Im surprised he hasnt climbed back down. Im quite concerned. Its also stopped me trying to feed him as he is way higher than the crickets would be.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty9/13/2012, 3:55 pm

The best would be to just take him down and maybe remove the background like Dolby suggested.
Back to top Go down
AaronCo2
Hadogenes
AaronCo2

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty9/15/2012, 2:50 pm

hey, just read through these postings, pretty awesome.

but now I'm wondering, how is your scorp doing?
Back to top Go down
ScorpTrek
Pandinus
ScorpTrek

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 1:51 pm

Diary #11

So I have spent the last month-odd with the wee guy and there has been some interesting developments.

Firstly, I have destroyed and removed that background after having to push him into a jar to get him off of it. He is now happily in his burrow with no more acrobatics going on.

Secondly....he is starting to eat! I left him alone for a fortnight, no food nothing, then I tried to feed him again and he dove at the cricket I threw in. Since then, he has been eating atleast once a week and still seems happy in his burrow.

Things are looking up!
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 2:02 pm

Great to hear!
Following this thread was awesome and the happy ending made it even better!
I read somewhere that S.mesaensis are ferocious feeders (dont know if this is true) so it was just a matter of time Smile
Back to top Go down
John Howe
Pandinus
John Howe

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty11/12/2012, 3:45 pm

what an awesome thread, very interesting to read, my 2 scorpions love to climb, but mine are forest scorps, plus im sure they have some kind of memory as 1 of mine got to the edge of a branch felt around that it couldnt go further and turned around, i mean if fish have a memory then surely scorps must have lol, i look forward to reading more. Smile
Back to top Go down
ScorpTrek
Pandinus
ScorpTrek

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty6/20/2013, 1:06 pm

Hi all, [I hope its ok to bump this thread]

So I have been gone for about 6 months and had the scorpion himself for about a year. Today, he died. Crying or Very sad

Of course, these things happen. The last two days he has been outside of his burrow, acting slower than usual and today he is laying neatly, with his tail outstretched behind him.

He was WC and I assume this is a death from old age. I really cant think of anything I did wrong.

So, I have had my first scorpion for just over a year and now, my confidence a little rattled, I will have to remove him from the tank and think of getting someone new. What a huge decision!
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty6/20/2013, 1:11 pm

Sorry to hear that. RIP
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty6/20/2013, 1:19 pm

my condolences
Back to top Go down
ScorpTrek
Pandinus
ScorpTrek

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty6/20/2013, 1:21 pm

Thanks guys.

Im tempted to maybe try and get a Desert Hairy? I enjoyed scorpion husbandry and I really dont want to get out of the hobby.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty6/20/2013, 1:23 pm

Good choice for a second scorpion. It's definately different care and a nice way to gain experience with desert species. Just try to get an adult specimen juvs are hard keep in captivity.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
ScorpTrek
Pandinus
ScorpTrek

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty6/20/2013, 1:27 pm

I like the thought of something a little bigger. I am already reading the caresheet for them and it is quite useful as usual. Doesn't sound too much different from Mesaensis.

Im going to redo the whole tank also methinks.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty6/20/2013, 1:57 pm

Sorry hear. Great choice for your second!
Back to top Go down
ScorpTrek
Pandinus
ScorpTrek

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty6/20/2013, 2:10 pm

Im really paranoid I did something wrong. But I cant think of anything for the life of me.

I only had him a year but he was wild caught, was eating fine, no real mycosis, temperature was warm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting Out: A Beginners Diary   Starting Out: A Beginners Diary - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Starting Out: A Beginners Diary
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next