The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

[Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour

Go down 
+14
Tongue Flicker
Shakudo
Yames
RTHalcyonDays
Scorpion19981000
steven555
shadowfoot
beatdownJAKE
DolbyR
Obeah
Wearelegion
*~BEX~*
tfleming
**GS**
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

[Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty7/12/2012, 11:12 pm

Great capture Wearelegion.

I have a posted video some time ago, on a "sink hole" being utilized Smile

For those who has missed this in the Parabuthus spp discussion thread:

Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty7/13/2012, 2:19 am

That's a pretty interesting hunting "technique'

My A.b. just uses the usual burrow tactic. And just to make sure the (already dead) prey doesn't escape, he closes the burrow entrance. Understandable though, I do like my privacy when having dinner as well Smile

Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Wearelegion
Hadogenes
Wearelegion

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-06-29

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty7/13/2012, 2:21 am

Looking at this it seems that they adapt acording to the type of the substrate. My P. Transvalicus uses normal burrow creep tactic as his substrate is more compact and better for digging.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty7/13/2012, 2:56 am

Could be. I use fine petstore sand for my Andros, Parabuthus and H. tamulus. I wet it down and let it dry. Gets pretty stable and very clay-like even without adding anything to it.
All these make burrows and some use them most of the time, other specimens prefer staying on "ground-level".
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Wearelegion
Hadogenes
Wearelegion

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-06-29

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty7/13/2012, 3:20 am

here is a short vide of him doing his daily hole
Back to top Go down
RTHalcyonDays
Pandinus
RTHalcyonDays

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty8/17/2012, 7:20 pm

My C. Vittatus just did something interesting. I was going to get a cricket out that I had put in, because he didn't seem to be hungry. I decided to watch for a minute, and Boomer (my scorpion) was hiding under a piece of bark I put in. The cricket comes walking by, and Boomer reaches out with his claws and grabs the cricket by the back leg, while still completely under his hide. He tried to drag the cricket under the hide with him, but it managed to wiggle out. Has anyone else ever seen this before?
Back to top Go down
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty8/17/2012, 8:03 pm

Oh yeah, they are great ambush predators.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty10/29/2012, 12:24 pm

Time to feed this thread Smile

Fat Tail Scorpion's stinger got stuck in a Superworm

Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty10/29/2012, 1:03 pm

That was funny. I liked how he had to take a break from trying to get it out. Maybe coming up with a better plan then pulling real hard and twisting... then nope right back to the same plan.

GS how are we going to organize a trade? one of them for a Lq from me? Not the one who get's his stinger stuck though. I don't need a short bus scorpion. lol
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty2/6/2013, 1:30 pm

Loved reading this thread the video's were awesome!
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty2/6/2013, 2:31 pm

today i observed different behaviors from 2 kinds of scorpion.

1.) H. hottentotta

- after the hh babies has left the mom's back i still keep them together. mom kills cricket and let her babies scavenge on the dead cricket. after 2 weeks no cannibalism has taken place. also the babies still come back the mom's back during daytime or when frightened and the mom seem to not mind at all.

2.) H. paucidens

- after eating another SW today, i noticed that it was half-eaten. she was still holding it with her 2 pedipalps as if a kid was holding a sandwich then i noticed she was flexing her chelicerae in a very weird manner like pulling it in and out of it's head while still holding the half-eaten SW
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty2/6/2013, 4:28 pm

My favorite part of the hobby is seeing mom and kids and their interactions. Blows my mind that your H. hottentotta is bascily feeding littled clones of herself. affraid
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty2/8/2013, 1:56 pm

even my mom was astonished. she was like, "how come they care even though they're bugs? " i merely smiled Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Smokehound714
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty10/8/2013, 7:28 am

[Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 IMG_20131007_202119

Wild Anuroctonus mother with her scorplings in-situ.

This particular specimen is a monster, a whopping 4 inches NOT counting the metasoma or palps! Her babies, which are 2nd instars, are monsters, themselves- the size of 3rd instars! I was able to illuminate them and observe their natural behavior by placing my flashlight under my shirt, dimming the light to the point that their photophobia wasn't triggered.

It's a shame i couldn't get video, the torch on my phone is way too strong.. The mother wasn't showing interest in the roaches and field crickets that wandered by, but the babies were definitely hungry, fighting over scytodes they had captured. Watching them smack each other was hilarious.

As light drizzle moved in, i got to witness sponge-bathing clearly. Generally these scorpions really dont like getting wet, but since all the mature females in the area were definitely dehydrated, they were eager for the moisture! virtually every mature female there had scorplings!

I had no idea just how many of them were present there, but now that I got a good look with the blacklight, there were portions of the hill that had densities so high that it looked like radiation Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NoviceNaturalist
Pandinus
NoviceNaturalist

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-07-03

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty8/19/2015, 11:35 pm

One of my p. boreus likes to hang upside down from the tops of Kritter Keepers if he gets the chance. Probably just trying to escape. Smile He seemed very pleased to get a chance to climb, I might give him some bark or something in the future. His temporary cagemate completely ignored the makeshift divider and stayed on his own side. lol
Back to top Go down
Bob bobo
Pandinus

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2021-06-13

PostSubject: Promenade aux du   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty6/15/2021, 4:26 pm

Males have different dances moves, one lq has more moves than the rest. Female lq dance back during acceptance and rejection (different dances and rarely).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour   [Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

[Discussion] Capturing Scorpion's Behaviour
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3