The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?

Go down 
+3
Scorpioooo
anemiaffx
Roblicious
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty
PostSubject: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/21/2011, 12:55 pm

I mist on a daily basis and sometimes I get some water on the baby emp, is that bad? I read everywhere not to spray it and I kinda just spray irradicatly to make sure the entire enclosure is moist. He has also made his burrow over where I have a lot of moss and the moss drys up quickly too, he made it in the corner of the enclosure (another reason why he gets wet from the misting).

Is there a such thing as too much humidity? According to my hydrometer (exo terra) I am sitting around 70-80 depending, but lets assume its not accurate and its in the 90-100? I think it is safe to assume that the enclosures humidity levels are not too low as I do mist, the coco fiber is super moist, and I keep a moistened towel covering most of the top as well, as I have read that also helps with the humidity.

Thanks ahead
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/22/2011, 1:30 am

Well if your going to spray daily, i suggest you remove that towl on top because your limiting the airflow... If the ground is super wet then dont spray. Spray every other day... You can kill something with too much love...
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/22/2011, 9:16 pm

agree i spray my enclosure everyday to ensure that all places are moist but not soaking wet. the towel is unnecessary
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/23/2011, 3:37 am

So how about the semp getting wet as i do spray everywhere?
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/23/2011, 3:52 am

I use a pippet for wetting my baby Emps enclosure, it works real well as you can get anywhere moist with it with out spraying/disturbing the emp.it's not as fast as spraying though.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/23/2011, 4:19 am

so its ok if he gets sprayed indirectly? ill try not to spray anywhere near his direction in the future though.

right now he has climbed to the very TOP of the exo terra enclosure hes sitting in between the screen top and the fake background so i dont have to worry about the water getting him lol, but i dont turn on the night-glo anymore as he is sitting directly under it :/
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/24/2011, 3:36 am

Roblicious wrote:
so its ok if he gets sprayed indirectly? ill try not to spray anywhere near his direction in the future though.

Shouldn't be a prob at all for indirect mist. They are forest scorps and sometimes my emps just sink their whole body in the water dish for a bath Smile When doing rehousing for my emps/spinifer, i'll simply flood their burrows and most of the time, they'll just surface themselves without having me to dig for them.

I used to do misting every other day to retain humidity till its too much work after more scorps are added to the family. Now, i'll simply pour water straight into the substrate in several location. (e.g for my 2 feet tank, i'll damped the 2 sides and centre) The areas not dampened during your initial pour with be.. in hours, as the water will penetrate and spread throughout the substrate.

Rule of thumb for quantity to pour, if you ever grab a handful of substrate and do some squeezing. A few droplets of water should fall.

Hope it helps Smile
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/24/2011, 6:07 am

Cool thanks, yeah it looks super moist, the only thing that dries up is the moss I have for decoration over his "hide" that he doesnt use, instead he dug one behind it and now hes hiding at the very top between the lid cover and fake background, hes been there for 3 days now.

I just threw a cricket up there and he snatched it up lol.

I guess i was asking about if it was bad to mist him cause of the burrow he dug is in the corner where the moss is and I like to keep it moist and it occasionally gets on him and he gets scared and goes down further lol.
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/25/2011, 8:54 pm

Yea, misting is overrated for emps in my opinion, just take a big water bottle and dump it all over the tank, keeps it damp longer with less work. In the wild emps are used to getting rained on constantly so it's no big deal.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/26/2011, 4:07 am

cool cool now im just wondering why he rather hide up top on the fake background then his hide he dug or the rock hide the terrarium came with lol
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/26/2011, 4:43 am

Trying to get that moss looking lush and green is a lost cause in my experience. Better to just use an indoor plant
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/26/2011, 4:50 am

Yeah whats a good one? i heard a pothos plant? I would hate to bother my little guy, I was worried that he was stuck in between the mesh and background so I opened up the top and he ran halfway down the background lol, so I put the lid back on and he ran right back up top. Strange one he is lol.

Would lighting be a issue with a plant though? My tank is by the window so it gets some sun when it is out, I use a IR bulb and a night-glo bulb both of which dont have any UV at all.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/26/2011, 5:02 am

Yeah, you heard right lol. Pothos plants work great and I have had great success with them. The plant does fine with indirect light and thrives indoors. Just make sure those bulbs are not too close or pointing directly on the plant as it will dry it out.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/26/2011, 5:05 am

Well it's a 12x12x12, should I get a small pothos? the light is in a canopy that came with the enclosure it sits up top

I am using cocoa husk as my substrate it seems to hold the moisture very well can it be used as plant soil as well?

Couldnt I just water it every day?

Should I try to move my scorpion again? Since it is not as humid at the very top near the vents as it is on the substrate.

Wont redoing his enclosure stress him out again? lol its his 2nd home and I feel like I have bothered him enough by trying to move him from the top back down to the soil lol.

Arg I am a noob
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/26/2011, 7:19 am

Sure, a small pothos would work great in that. If the plant's too large, you can always trim it and if the plant is too small, it can grow itself out. As for the coco-fiber, I actually haven't had any problems with the pothos plants growing in them. People are able to replant pothos stems in just a plain glass of water, so I think coco-fiber is fine. You definitely don't have to water it everyday because the coco-fiber itself will already be moist. Just make sure you don't water the plant so much that the substrate's wet and the plant gets root rot. Just a little once a week is fine. Just don't make it soggy because the plant does best when the soil can drain the water, but in this case, giving it less water so it's not so damp will do. And don't worry about your scorpion. Gently remove it and redo the tank, then put it back in. The nice thing about plants is they also help maintain humidity levels in the enclosure.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty2/26/2011, 1:15 pm

Yeah I need to find a place with a small one, Ill have to check walmart and home depot, if anything Ill trim that sucker down :p.

He finally moved himself back to his self made burrow in the corner this morning lol. I woke up and looked at the top and noticed he wasnt there then looked in the burrow he made and voila lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?   Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity? Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting water on baby emp while misting? Too much humdity?
Page 1 of 1