The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report)

Go down 
+2
iitomodachi1
*~BEX~*
6 posters
AuthorMessage
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report) Empty
PostSubject: Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report)   Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report) Empty12/8/2010, 1:20 pm

levi wrote:
My friend told me a story about his friend getting stung by an lq sling on the neck..well the story goes like this..one day his friend is packing the lq slings for shipment and an unfortunate thing happened..He slipped and an lq sling got out and stung him on the neck.. after being tagged the first thing he does is call his fellow hobbyist and told him to take care of all his pet inverts for him if he dies and he is pretty damn sure that he'll goin to die..after calling and ensuring his pets will be taken care off after he is gone,he just lied on the bed and sleep for he cant do anything anymore and calmly awaits his death (hospitals in our country sucks)..the amazing part is he survived it with no medical treatment he just woke up feeling very very bad but still alive..and he stills continues taking care for his pets and his deadly experience are now a laughing matter for him..im just amazed on how he loved this hobby that even at the brink of dying he still thinks about the welfare of his beloved collection

being tagged can affect people in different ways obviously if your very young (infant) or elderly your imune system is not going to be as good as the average fit and well person, it all depends on the persons health ammount of venom and possibly where your stung? i dunno the neck sounds like a nasty place to get stung though....... i hope by taking care of his pets is a laughing matter does not mean he handles these thinking he is immune because many people can (as example) get tagged 3 times and only the 4th time will have a reaction, i would never take handling or having deadly species as a laughing matter!
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report)   Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report) Empty12/8/2010, 1:43 pm

I'd venture to say that the neck is about the worst place to get tagged along with the head and torso. Your extremities are most common and so far from vital organs and the like.

I am not sure how much control scorplings have but I believe scorps can control how much venom they inflict.

Also another major factor to consider is how deep the sting actually entered. If it was a baby it could be a lighter tag because the sting cannot enter deeply into the tissue. I would think the deeper into the muscle or the further in past the layer of skin and top tissues the worse the effect is going to be and then of course consideration how much venom was injected.

Those are my layman thoughts Very Happy
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report)   Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report) Empty12/8/2010, 1:53 pm

my first thought was if you was tagged in the neck that maybe your breathing might be the first to be affected? if the reaction was to swell the airways?
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report)   Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report) Empty12/8/2010, 2:10 pm

231bex wrote:
my first thought was if you was tagged in the neck that maybe your breathing might be the first to be affected? if the reaction was to swell the airways?

I'd think that would be the biggest and most immediate concern too, I'd also be worried with the area in general to have so many vital things right there including your esophagus you have a large amount of blood flow going through there and it would be easy for the venom to get into the bloodstream and be carried both to your head and your heart. Which ever way you look at it, it's potentially very bad news
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report)   Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report) Empty12/8/2010, 2:12 pm

im more worried that this person sees it as a laughing matter??? Shocked

levi wrote:
and he stills continues taking care for his pets and his deadly experience are now a laughing matter for him..
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report)   Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report) Empty12/8/2010, 3:43 pm

We filipinos are mostly like that..we tend to laugh at our problems or mistakes..just to make things look ok or bearable,it helps us to endure every problems.. A little insight on filipino traits..hehe
Back to top Go down
Kristopher
Centruroides
Kristopher

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2010-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report)   Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report) Empty12/8/2010, 4:10 pm

levi wrote:
the amazing part is he survived it with no medical treatment

It really isn't all that amazing when you consider the fact that less than 10 % of reported LQ envenomations end in death. Not that I'd want to put that to the test, mind you. lol. If it had happened to me, I would have been scared out of my mind.
Back to top Go down
Kristopher
Centruroides
Kristopher

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2010-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report)   Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report) Empty12/8/2010, 4:24 pm

iitomodachi1 wrote:
I am not sure how much control scorplings have but I believe scorps can control how much venom they inflict.

I believe you're right on the money here. They inject venom via voluntary muscular contractions and quantities injected are highly variable. "Dry" stings are not unheard of.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report)   Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report) Empty12/8/2010, 6:40 pm

Kristopher wrote:
levi wrote:
the amazing part is he survived it with no medical treatment

It really isn't all that amazing when you consider the fact that less than 10 % of reported LQ envenomations end in death.

+1. If you're a healthy adult, in all likelihood you're not going to die from any scorpion's sting. Take into account that it was a sling involved, and it makes it sound like the person who got stung was terribly misinformed about his collection. Or, he didn't do his research when getting into the hobby . . . either of these factors can cause things to go very badly, so it's good that his error was on the side of paranoia and not recklessness.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report)   Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report) Empty12/8/2010, 9:39 pm

bottomline.. always respect the scorpion which you are keeping and never treat it lightly.. study
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report)   Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report) Empty

Back to top Go down

Lq sting discussion (split from evenomation report)
Page 1 of 1