The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Reccommended Scorpion Species

Go down 
+5
Sativa
Mr. Mordax
_scorpio_
binksyboy3
tel0s
9 posters
AuthorMessage
tel0s
Pandinus

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-23

Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty
PostSubject: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/23/2010, 6:29 am

Hey guys,
I'm new here, and looking for a little advice on scorpions. (guess I came to the right place, huh?)
I've wanted a scorpion for a long time now, and was originally looking at the obvious P. Imperator, however I've had a few issues with that. Firstly, I was recently told that they were restricted on WC imports due to endangerment, and that I would have to find a breeder., or settle for a Vietnamese Scorpion that my pet shop couldn't really tell me anything about. Secondly, I dont want a "pet hole" Sad so I guess im looking for a more active species.

whilst looking for a breeder/collector, I've also conducted my own research (I've put a lot of time into choosing my scorpion so far..) and compiled a list of species which I'd be interested in owning, Please look through and if there are any there which I may struggle with as a beginner, or you have more to add to the list as a suggestion, pleease do so.

- Pandinus Imperator
- Heterometrus Swammerdami - am I right in assuming this is V. similar to an emp, however mroe active/aggressive?
- Heterometrus Spinifer - similar to above? :/

I'm leaning more towards the Swammerdami, but I'm very open to suggestions.

In the case of the swammerdami, the breeder lists availability as: "Indian Giant Forest Scorpion L2/3 Young" " Indian Giant Forest Scorpion Large juveniles" "Indian Giant Forest Scorpion Sub Adult" and of course, adult. as I've never owned a scorp, I'm not really sure which to get, how small are L2/3 young, or how large is a "large juvenile?" lol. does the L2/3 refer to the instar?

Thanks a bunch,
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/23/2010, 2:05 pm

Heterometrus sp can be very similar in behaviour to emps. I.e. pet holes.

Swammerdami tend to be much more expensive than other scorps as its the largest sp in the world.

If you are after an active beginner scorpion, then I'd suggest Hadrurus Arizonensis - Large, very active and aggressive (generally).

I've posted a couple of reliable sites on your other thread so have a little look at the scorps on those.
And yes, I'd assume that "L2" means instar but I'd ask just to be sure.
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/23/2010, 2:08 pm

binksyboy3 wrote:

Swammerdami tend to be much more expensive than other scorps as its the largest sp in the world.

If you are after an active beginner scorpion, then I'd suggest Hadrurus Arizonensis - Large, very active and aggressive (generally).

I've posted a couple of reliable sites on your other thread so have a little look at the scorps on those.

thanks a ton, I called the breeder this morning, and ordered a Swammerdami. It's 3 inches long, and only cost me £5 + delivery, the guy seems very professional, and gave me plenty of advice over the phone, I'd reccommend him. - http://www.martingoss.co.uk/
I've been and made my Viv, if I post a few pictures could you tell me if anything needs doing to it?
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/23/2010, 2:13 pm

Yep, Martin is another reliable source Smile

tel0s wrote:
I've been and made my Viv, if I post a few pictures could you tell me if anything needs doing to it?

Of course Smile
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/23/2010, 2:15 pm

you might still want to get a h. arizonensis. can always have more than one scorp! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/23/2010, 2:23 pm

I hope these images arent too big. Thansk for taking a look

Reccommended Scorpion Species Dsc00710

Reccommended Scorpion Species Dsc00711

Reccommended Scorpion Species Dsc00712

Reccommended Scorpion Species Dsc00713

Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/23/2010, 2:24 pm

_scorpio_ wrote:
you might still want to get a h. arizonensis. can always have more than one scorp! Very Happy

So I've heard, however it's a shame that money isn't an unlimited resource Razz
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/24/2010, 6:31 am

Looks good Very Happy

Although I'd strongly suggest adding a second hide of some sort.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/24/2010, 7:34 pm

tel0s wrote:
_scorpio_ wrote:

enough space on there for 5 more scorpions if you stack 'em! a full setup done it true low budget style cant set you back more than £30 can it? bucket of sand from the beach (well rinsed), old second hand tank (like that one the other scorp is in). i picked up a 80l and a 20l tank from our hairdresser for free and im getting a viv and a 4 footer from our builders for free.
everyone has one in a shed taking up space and just wants to get rid of the thing. the only real cost is the scorp and its dinner, though roaches arent too hard to get going as a self sustaining feeder.
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/24/2010, 10:20 pm

_scorpio_ wrote:
tel0s wrote:
_scorpio_ wrote:

enough space on there for 5 more scorpions if you stack 'em! a full setup done it true low budget style cant set you back more than £30 can it? bucket of sand from the beach (well rinsed), old second hand tank (like that one the other scorp is in). i picked up a 80l and a 20l tank from our hairdresser for free and im getting a viv and a 4 footer from our builders for free.
everyone has one in a shed taking up space and just wants to get rid of the thing. the only real cost is the scorp and its dinner, though roaches arent too hard to get going as a self sustaining feeder.

yeah, I've not even gotten my first one, and I'm already wanting more...lots more...god this is addictive. hmm, would http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/6-litre-allstore-plastic-storage-box-556-p.asp suffice for a couple of emperors? maybe a couple of desert hairys?

I've been looking at the Fat tails, however im under the distinct impression that these are *not* beginner scorps?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/27/2010, 11:47 pm

Heat mat should go on the side, not the bottom.

If you're one of the UK folks, fat tails are illegal without a convoluted permit.
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/30/2010, 4:15 am

Is there a list somewhere of all scorpions which require a license in the uk?
Back to top Go down
Sativa
Hadogenes
Sativa

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/30/2010, 7:07 am

tel0s wrote:
Is there a list somewhere of all scorpions which require a license in the uk?
You can use this list (you properly wont like the reading Rolling Eyes ) as all Buthidae species require license in the UK as I recall it.
http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/buthidae.php
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/30/2010, 7:52 am

So its only buthidae? thanks for the list.
what about the androctonus genus?
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/30/2010, 7:54 am

oh, seems i've misunderstood the naming conventions. it appears that Androctonus is a sub-genus of the buthid family? or am I incorrect?
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/30/2010, 2:59 pm

Nope, you are correct - Androctonus is covered under the buthid family.

You need a DWA licence for all species in the buthidae family and Hemiscorpius lepturus from the Hemioscorpiidae family.
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/30/2010, 3:01 pm

binksyboy3 wrote:
Nope, you are correct - Androctonus is covered under the buthid family.

You need a DWA licence for all species in the buthidae family and Hemiscorpius lepturus from the Hemioscorpiidae family.

Thanks binksy, you've been extrememly helpful.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/30/2010, 3:08 pm

No problem Smile

It's annoying I know the amount of species on the list but there's only a handful of species actually worthy of being on the list - It's just that they can't be bothered to evaluate each and every sp so they just placed a restriction on the buthid family as it contains the more potent scorps. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/31/2010, 11:11 pm

the genus Androctonus is a medically important member of the family Buthidae. It should be noted that a considerable amount of CAUTION should be taken withe any member of the genus Androctonus as they are responsible for more human deaths every year than any Leiurus... Androctonus in Latin means "man-killer."

Some may consider them not suitable to be kept for hobbyist and should only be kept by certified scorpiologist/arachnologist or for purposes of medical research. However, if I can buy a Leiurus in a Malaysian petstore in a mall (which any 9-year old can pick up at their uncanny fancy of the name "Deathstlaker")... I guess its kinda unrealistic to hold up those kinda of ideals... not that I strictly advocate them Razz

If Malaysia is like any part of the world, regular enforcers of wildlife don't know what family means with regards to classification or a genus for that matter...

If the DWA outlaws the family Buthidae... go here to refer to their members http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/gallery.php

Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty7/31/2010, 11:34 pm

binksyboy3 wrote:
No problem Smile

It's annoying I know the amount of species on the list but there's only a handful of species actually worthy of being on the list - It's just that they can't be bothered to evaluate each and every sp so they just placed a restriction on the buthid family as it contains the more potent scorps. Evil or Very Mad

I could not agree more... members of the genus Lychas for instance maybe extremely painful but not deadly outside being in conjunction with any untoward medical condition... are indeed rewardingly beautiful species... as well as Tityus but some species of the genus Tityus (South America) are known for having lethal stings and/or causes progressive morbidity of human tissue
Back to top Go down
dylstac
Hadogenes
dylstac

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty9/13/2010, 6:54 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
Heat mat should go on the side, not the bottom.

I agree
Back to top Go down
RonInOhio
Pandinus
RonInOhio

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty9/16/2010, 10:09 am

I'm not getting any response from him, but had another breeder tell me he could not ship to US due to customs restrictions....I'm wondering if he just didn't have the proper permits, or if the species is restricted? Anyone shine some light on this for me?

tel0s wrote:
binksyboy3 wrote:

thanks a ton, I called the breeder this morning, and ordered a Swammerdami. It's 3 inches long, and only cost me £5 + delivery, the guy seems very professional, and gave me plenty of advice over the phone, I'd reccommend him. - http://www.martingoss.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty9/16/2010, 10:17 am

there is no restrictions on owning any species in the US...
i dont know why he wont send it, maybe customs will take so long with it he cant guarantee it arrives alive?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reccommended Scorpion Species   Reccommended Scorpion Species Empty

Back to top Go down

Reccommended Scorpion Species
Page 1 of 1