The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Most communal scorpion species???

Go down 
+4
Bamboo
~Abyss~
robert44
NatashaDawn
8 posters
AuthorMessage
NatashaDawn
Pandinus
NatashaDawn

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-09-22

Most communal scorpion species??? Empty
PostSubject: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/20/2013, 10:19 pm

I was wondering what peoples opinions are on which ones are the most communal scorpion species???
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/21/2013, 8:39 am

In my experience any of the bark scorps are very communal.  I'm from Texas and we have (among other scorps) the Centruroides vittatus native here.  They are VERY communal.  I have a communal tank and they always seem to prefer to be huddled up next to each other.

For something more exotic the Babycurus jacksoni (Tanzanian Rusty Thick Tail) scorps are very communal.  When you have a colony you will get a lot of babies though!  Also, Emps are very communal if you want a large scorp.  There are plenty others that will thrive communally but these are my experiences.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/21/2013, 10:56 am

Hands down T.stigmurus. No molt cannabalism and even group hunt. Not even centruroides species are as communal.

Joe3524 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
NatashaDawn
Pandinus
NatashaDawn

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/21/2013, 11:20 am

Thanks guys (: I really appreciate it. Could most of these species live with several well in a 40 gallon breeder aquarium with lots of hides. I have a male and female emperor in a 40 gallon breeder, but I don't know if I would want to add more and if I did I guess it would have to be more females and all around the same size? Wont the males fight?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/21/2013, 11:39 am

For T.stimgurus there are no males all females and a 40 gal sounds to big for them maybe a 10 gal.

Joe3524 likes this post

Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/21/2013, 12:23 pm

I have had a bunch of C. vits. living in a 10 gallon tank and they did fine.

I'm not familiar with the T. stimgurus but will look into them. Group hunts? That sounds cool! I would like to watch them hunt!
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/21/2013, 1:33 pm

I assure you that given enough space and food most centruroides are cummunal as juevines (usually very communal as adults). But there are tons of cases of cannibalism during molts especially certain species such as C.gracilis. But T.stigmurus is THE perfect communal species. WHY?
1. They're beatifully colored
2.They're a hot species so power and beauty
3. They are parthenogentic, you only need one and you'll have a community in no time
4. They don't cannabilize, even if not fed for a while they just wont eat other.
5. Fast growing, keep the heat and humidity up and they'll mature in a year.
Case made....check mate...king me.....ect ect. !
Very Happy

Joe3524 likes this post

Back to top Go down
NatashaDawn
Pandinus
NatashaDawn

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/21/2013, 2:32 pm

Thank you so much for all the information. I am going to have to see if I can find any T. stigmurus
Back to top Go down
Bamboo
Pandinus

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/21/2013, 11:41 pm

Weird , I experienced cannibalism in my really young T stigmurus .. so I separated them.
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/22/2013, 9:30 am

I want some. Maybe one is best???
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/22/2013, 10:37 am

~Abyss~ wrote:
Hands down T.stigmurus. No molt cannabalism and even group hunt. Not even centruroides species are as communal.
The most tolerant species ever. I've had them since second instar and even introduced one more from someone else. Not a single cannibalism, though they do fight over food. Which is practically the case with all communal species.
Back to top Go down
Bananarama
Pandinus

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/22/2013, 10:58 am

same with t.serrulatus, t.confluens and t.trivittatus or parthenogenetic tityus spec. in general.
centruroides and babycurus are ok as adults but you should seperate them as juveniles.
pandinus and heterometrus are always very communal you can raise them in groups without any problems - even hottentotta trilineatus or hottentotta hottentotta can be raised together but make sure to have enough hideouts and food Very Happy
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/22/2013, 2:51 pm

Does anyone have an estimate for how long it takes from when a T. stigmurus  is born to when she births her first litter? (Assuming good conditions.)
Back to top Go down
Bananarama
Pandinus

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/22/2013, 3:48 pm

assuming that they could molt every month - they are able to give birth within a year
Back to top Go down
thegromgrom
Breeder
thegromgrom

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2013-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/22/2013, 7:04 pm

Tityus stigmurus, of what's available in the US hobby.
Back to top Go down
NatashaDawn
Pandinus
NatashaDawn

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/23/2013, 5:01 pm

Wow thank you all for all the information (:
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty10/24/2013, 12:50 am

Bananarama wrote:
same with t.serrulatus, t.confluens and t.trivittatus or parthenogenetic tityus spec. in general.
centruroides and babycurus are ok as adults but you should seperate them as juveniles.
pandinus and heterometrus are always very communal you can raise them in groups without any problems - even hottentotta trilineatus or hottentotta hottentotta can be raised together but make sure to have enough hideouts and food Very Happy
I doubt that with HH. I've kept a lot of broods together that were well-fed but still their instinct tells them to eat one another.

Heterometrus spinifer seems quite calm together. H.longimanus is always alert in a communal setting. I've noticed that the more the number of scorps kept communally in a corresponding larger enclosure, the lesser the risk of aggression and cannibalism as opposed to keeping a pair or trio together wherein territories and dominance are sometimes set
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most communal scorpion species???   Most communal scorpion species??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Most communal scorpion species???
Page 1 of 1