The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

What's the species of this young scorpion?

Go down 
+4
Chrome
Roy
binksyboy3
Cleo_Loong
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Cleo_Loong
Pandinus

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-06-19

What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty
PostSubject: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty6/19/2010, 10:00 pm

Hey all,
I found this lil' critter on my floor the other day and I decided to keep it as a pet. I think it came from a fruit orchard because I had a bunch of duku langsat (tropical fruit) and it must have hid there when I bought it.

I used to have one last time but it got crushed under the heavy clay bowl. It was an accident. =(

Anyway so, what's the species of this lil' guy?

What's the species of this young scorpion? Img4313q.th
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please click the thumbnail to enlarge it.

Thanks a bunch!
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty6/20/2010, 9:09 am

My first instinct was a centruroides sp, but I'm not sure.

It might be worth having a look on "scorpion files".
Back to top Go down
Roy
Pandinus

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty6/21/2010, 2:20 am

I think it's a Lychas sp.

Possibly Lychas mucronatus.

I take it you're Malaysian? I miss duku langsat so much, it's been years since I have had one.
Back to top Go down
Cleo_Loong
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty6/21/2010, 2:42 am

@ binksyboy3 : where can I get this scorpion file? Is it in the forum??

@ Roy: You're right. I am Malaysian. =) Stumbled across this forum when I was searching about scorpions. Have you lived here before? Just curious.

@ all : I've scour a lil through the search engine and I found out that some species are dangerous to be bred.

Are either these 2 species mentioned dangerous and also, I think that he/she (undetermined, I'm not sure of it's sex) is not eating.

I have not exactly reared a young scorpion before without it's 'mom',so to say, so, what does it actually eat? I tried giving it dried preserved seafood like dried scallops ( I wash it first) and it gave no reaction.

Of course I did see that it went near to the food but I don't see it eating the food.

By the way, thanks for the reply though. It was great help! =)
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty6/21/2010, 2:51 am

Could you please give your specific area where it was found? Or where the orchard was where the fruit is from.
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty6/21/2010, 3:36 am

Hey, a malaysian hobbyist! Orang sendiri ni Very Happy
Which part of malaysia u are in?
Anw, im pretty sure its Lychas Mucronatus when u mention duku langsat
They are very common on langsat tree, i have a few friend who found the same species while eating duku langsat too
I kept this species as well
Add my msn, we can talk there Very Happy
ryo.kenzaki@hotmail.com

PS: I spilled out my milo on my pants when i read bout what u feed to it lol
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty6/21/2010, 10:43 am

Scorpion files: http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/gallery.php

After looking at some pics, it does indeed look like Lychas Mucronatus.

The scorp should be fed on insects such as crickets, locust, roaches etc.
Back to top Go down
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty6/21/2010, 12:51 pm

another of this case.. lucky u mate.. Well she looks gravid.. so.. care for her and she'll will give u babies....
Which part of M'sia ur in.. Buah langsat is one of my favs...
Back to top Go down
Cleo_Loong
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty6/25/2010, 9:01 pm

@ all
Sorry for the late reply. I was pretty busy with stuff these few days..! *life is always so hectic) Fortunately, the weekend came Smile

And thanks for the awesome response!

@ Chrome : Hmm, I think it comes from an orchard from around Malaysia but I'm not exactly sure which part of Malaysia my bunch of fruit came from, so, I can't give an exact answer to that.

@ RyoKenzaki :Memang orang sendiri =P. Do you have like facebook or something? Cause' I usually don't go online...In fact, I haven't been online for like more than a year...At least on facebook, I'll reply like a week once at short messages.

And Spilling Milo on your pants while reading what I gave to it? Is that a good or bad reaction? Lol.

@ binksyboy3 I've given it cricket at least, from my previous experience,when I used to reared my old (now, already dead) pet scorpion but this lil' one I have here is like, not responding to the cricket. Worried that it might die of starvation.

Does scorpion eat everyday?

Well, at least, it liked it's 'new home' I've given it. Gave it a drift wood and it seems to go into hiding all the time, I know that's normal but it doesn't seem to be eating..! (cricket still jumping around)

My mom suggested to give it raw meat, which sounds a little 'wrong' and I am a lil reluctant to do so, although I do know scorpion is a carnivorous type.

@ Rideon Yeap, I found it when I saw my dog 'scratching/clawing' on the floor. I didn't thought it could actually be a baby scorpion until my mom said it was and when I looked closer, it indeed is. Smile

And this is a 'she'? Very Happy

By the way, I'm from KL.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty6/26/2010, 5:21 am

Scorpions won't eat everyday.

Its not a problem if its not eating, probably a bit stressed getting used to its new surroundings - once settle in properly I'm sure it'll eat.

Don't give it raw meat. They are insectivorous and so wouldn't touch the meat anyway. Scorpions can go months & months without food so I wouldn't worry about starvation.

Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty6/27/2010, 6:00 am

Its a Lychas sp. most likly a mucronatus

Give it a box with very moist soil and some bark to hide in and crawl on..
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty6/28/2010, 1:32 pm

Just add my msn... Feed it with crickets, dead or alive doesn't matter
Rawr meat, dried scallop etc wont work
The langsat are most probably from Thailand, try asking the fruit seller Wink
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty6/30/2010, 12:04 pm

Dont write off raw meat Very Happy i have seen Ts eat shrimp and raw pork meat
But it wouldnt be something i would feed my scorpions and i would strongly recommend ppl not to..
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty7/1/2010, 11:27 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the species of this young scorpion?   What's the species of this young scorpion? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's the species of this young scorpion?
Page 1 of 1