The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

burrowing question

Go down 
+9
Scott Land
Kerrby
mezzle992
bjaeger
anemiaffx
binksyboy3
the lycan mikey
kadama
loki13
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dewio
Pandinus
dewio

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-10-17

burrowing question - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question - Page 2 Empty10/19/2010, 5:33 pm

didnt know emps ar choosy....

my baby emp burrowed from the get go, and still @ it , i spray my enclosure with water to be on the safe side.

Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question - Page 2 Empty10/20/2010, 3:48 pm

GS wrote:

This is really nice.. i hope when my AFS male molts.. it doesn't become a meal of my adult females.. :/
As you probably already know this, feed em' a little extra if you are suspecting a molt soon Very Happy Anything to tip the scales in your favor, know what I'm sayin'? Good luck!
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question - Page 2 Empty10/20/2010, 4:33 pm

let them be burried... they'll take care of themselves... if you wanna see them... you could try and flood the enclosure a little... so they will come closer to the surface... that always worked for me...

being in their burrows... juvenile and sub-adult Heterometrus feel secure.. they loose this tendency to burrow when they mature... and are often just happy to utilize the hide you provided....
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question - Page 2 Empty10/21/2010, 9:38 am

iitomodachi1 wrote:
GS wrote:

This is really nice.. i hope when my AFS male molts.. it doesn't become a meal of my adult females.. :/
As you probably already know this, feed em' a little extra if you are suspecting a molt soon Very Happy Anything to tip the scales in your favor, know what I'm sayin'? Good luck!

iitomodachi1: I get you mate Smile Thanks for the reminder. I guess i can dump in few more crickets overnight when i suspect a molt Smile

Alex: Great idea there. One thing good about Forest Scorpions is that we need not be extra careful in getting water onto them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question - Page 2 Empty10/21/2010, 4:15 pm

Be careful feeding close to a molt the crickets will chew on the soft newly molted scorp.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question - Page 2 Empty10/21/2010, 4:40 pm

Scott Land wrote:
Be careful feeding close to a molt the crickets will chew on the soft newly molted scorp.

I agree, I was referring to up to the molt. Although my last of 4 H. Spinifers just molted and I had just dropped a couple crickets in the night before. I new it would molt but it had been procrastinating for so long. Anyways, I noticed the crickets still in there the next day which is very unusually for them. I went in to check on them and see if I had to remove the crickets and noticed the last of the 4 had molted. The others were standing around it protecting it. Normally they don't care if my hand is in the tank they just carry on with their own business but this time they were all defensive and constantly moving to stay between my hand and the freshly molted scorp, they were doing this with the crickets too! Not sure if this is normal for them, as they work as a team to take down prey fairly frequently but this was a little above and beyond. It was pretty darn neat!

Alex if you see this post, have you seen anything like this?

Just thought I'd share since it was the topic of discussion here and this happened last night, I'm still amazed and love those guys even more now!
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question - Page 2 Empty10/21/2010, 10:27 pm

Thanks for the heads up guys.
Maybe we can destroy part of the cricket's "mouth" (sry i dont know the actual name) with a scissors or something if we intend to leave it overnight.
That way it'll still hop around and not die immediately. Then we can do spot cleaning every for the enclosure every 2-3 days... & yeah.. its kinda troublesome.. ha

Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question - Page 2 Empty10/21/2010, 10:45 pm

GS wrote:
Thanks for the heads up guys.
Maybe we can destroy part of the cricket's "mouth" (sry i dont know the actual name) with a scissors or something if we intend to leave it overnight.
That way it'll still hop around and not die immediately. Then we can do spot cleaning every for the enclosure every 2-3 days... & yeah.. its kinda troublesome.. ha
Actually for my (aprox. 4i) H. Spinifers I usually do a slight head crush on the crickets. Enough to keep them from eating but also keep them walking, even if it is slightly sideways. This way no munching goes down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

burrowing question
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2