The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

burrowing question

Go down 
+9
Scott Land
Kerrby
mezzle992
bjaeger
anemiaffx
binksyboy3
the lycan mikey
kadama
loki13
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
loki13
Pandinus
loki13

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-04-13

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/18/2010, 11:10 pm

hey,

just wondering if my scorp were to be in a burrow and it happens to cave in would she be able to burrow her way out? my substrate is about 5 inches (maybe 6) deep and both of her burrows go all the way to be bottom glass of the tank. would she be able to find her way back up?

im asking not becasue i doubt her burrowing skills but because i built one of them and well... im not exactly a scorpion and know what their tunnel specifications are lol.

thank you
Back to top Go down
kadama
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-03-11

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 12:16 am

It's funny, I was just going to ask the same question. If anyone can answer loki it'd be awesome. Mog is burrowing right now and it sorta looks like it caved in on her.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 12:54 am

lol dude if they can burrow in, they can burrow out...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
kadama
Hadogenes

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 12:55 am

Can you blame us for caring for our babies? I think even parents with children have stupid questions now and then. :3
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 12:58 am

oh dude dont take it the wrong way...
i was just saying its kind of logical...
consider yourself lucky...
my 2 adult emperors dont burrow and im hoping my new baby does...

and i dont blame you for caring...lol my girlfriend thinks i care for my scorpions more than i do for her...
i just wont tell her shes right =)
Back to top Go down
kadama
Hadogenes

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 1:00 am

Mine weren't burrowing untill now and it only seems to be the one who is doing it. It's quiet deep now, enough to fit his body, I was mistaken before when I thought it was mog, my female. It was dark, couldn't see the talson colour right. I estmate it at about 5 inches deep. WHen he was on the other side of the tank doing someting I stuck my fingers in and there was more then enough room..
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 1:06 am

id be careful when dumping water on the substrate whenever it gets dry...
you dont wanna dump the water straight on it and collapse the burrow
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 2:15 am

the lycan mikey wrote:
be careful when dumping water on the substrate whenever it gets dry...
you dont wanna dump the water straight on it and collapse the burrow

Yep, watch out for that.

On a separate note, as Mikey stated,yes, they can find their way back out again if their hide collapses. They probably won't like it, but they'll do it. Razz
Back to top Go down
loki13
Pandinus
loki13

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-04-13

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 7:54 am

ok guys thanks much
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 11:28 am

Im sure if you check the mouth of the cave once and a great while, you will see them just sitting there wait too. If it closes, they will realize no way in means no food so yeah...
Back to top Go down
kadama
Hadogenes

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 11:53 am

Mine have dug a burrow last night tha tcurves and goes out of sight if you look in the entrance.
I've used reptile hides as the start for them, so I think it'll be pretty safe for water. I will add it in another art of the tank though. Also, they moved all the substrate from out of the burrow and into the water dish, go figure? Is it normal for them both to use the same hide all the time?
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 4:09 pm

Yep, mine did that when I had a pair.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 4:48 pm

I've had three emps and none of them ever dug a burrow Sad. On the otherhand, my red claw couldn't wait to dig one Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 9:20 pm

like i said, my 2 adults wont burrow...
but im hoping the baby will, i even started a little hole for it in the substrate under the rock it hides under...
so far, it just hides on one side of the rock, opposite of the starter hole..

- dude what happened to all your scorpions brandon? -
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/19/2010, 9:40 pm

A lot of them died. Sold a couple. And so on and so forth.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty4/20/2010, 12:55 am

wow im sorry
Back to top Go down
mezzle992
Centruroides
mezzle992

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2010-06-26

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty10/15/2010, 3:19 am

i have 4 baby asian forests and they allways burrow, but theres 2 i havent seen for a while. Will they be ok or will they get stuck or something, how long will they be ok for in a burrow. My substrate ranges from 5 inches to about 9 inches, how will i get moisture iin the tank with out them being affected??
Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-08-30

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty10/15/2010, 4:30 am

I refer you to the comment:

"If they can burrow in, they can burrow out".
As babies, i'd be more concerned. Any idea what instar they are in? Although, I figure if they are making their own tunnels, they'll be fine either way.

They can spend their whole lives in a burrow, and would probably be very content to do so. Based on my AFS, He's gone for about a month before he decideds to spend the next month topside.

Don't start worrying until your tank smells terrible, as if something started rotting.

As for the moisture, take a cup of water, (or however much you decide your tank needs) and pour it where there are no tunnels. If you have no idea where the tunnels exactly are, then pick a side wall, and pour it down.

I've never had a problem.
Back to top Go down
mezzle992
Centruroides
mezzle992

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty10/15/2010, 4:46 am

i was told their about 8 months old so i imagine that thier secound or 3rd instar, and they are just under 1.5 inches
Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-08-30

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty10/15/2010, 11:30 am

Yeah, don't sweat it then. They'll come up when and if they want too.
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty10/15/2010, 11:58 am

Kerrby wrote:
Yeah, don't sweat it then. They'll come up when and if they want too.
I agree! Just smell the enclosure once a week or so ,if you smell a strong dead smell then something is wrong.No bad smell nothing wrong! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mezzle992
Centruroides
mezzle992

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty10/15/2010, 8:13 pm

they have all surfaced today and one of them has moulted, it was funny because i found the exoskelleton and thought it was a scorp, but one of the others seem to protect it
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty10/15/2010, 10:35 pm

mezzle992 wrote:
they have all surfaced today and one of them has moulted, it was funny because i found the exoskelleton and thought it was a scorp, but one of the others seem to protect it
Great!
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty10/15/2010, 11:08 pm

Mine do the same, I found I can catch them between 4 and 5 am. Sometimes there's one in a hide but they readily bolt to a burrow and will stay hidden forever. I constantly freaked out for a while but just realized after time that that's their thing. So far I still have all 4 2 or 3 of which have molted. I can never tell who ate though so I throw a maimed cricket in there every night, if one has made it to day 2 I leave them alone and it is usually gone by day 3. I figure they are probably all eating smaller meals or really just rotating eating as they want. Good Luck
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty10/19/2010, 3:21 am

mezzle992 wrote:

This is really nice.. i hope when my AFS male molts.. it doesn't become a meal of my adult females.. :/

As for burrowing.. i just saw a deep burrow in my AFS enclosure... only a pair of "claws" of my AFS sticks out near the surface.. for a moment there i tot it was another death in my communal setup..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

burrowing question Empty
PostSubject: Re: burrowing question   burrowing question Empty

Back to top Go down

burrowing question
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next