The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MachRhAYNe
Pandinus
MachRhAYNe

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-01-13

Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating Empty
PostSubject: Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating   Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating Empty1/13/2010, 4:11 am

So...i'm a newb to the emp world. Just brought one home two days ago. Everything seems to be going fine but I had a couple of questions.

I have a ceramic heater and I'm wondering if I should leave it on all the time? I do not have any supplemental heating as the ceramic keeps the tank around 80-85 degrees. I live in Idaho and it's cold here...lol. If I turn the heater off at night then the tank temp drops to about 65 degrees and this has got to be way too cold.

Also, I didn't know the first thing about proper emp substrates when I bought my emp. I had a savannah monitor for about 2 years and I used ground english walnut shells for his substrate...so I've been using the same thing for my emp. Is this bad? It doesn't seem that this sandlike substance would be good for burrowing.

Thanks for putting up with newbie questions. Any answers would be appreciated. :HeathJoker:
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating   Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating Empty1/13/2010, 12:58 pm

You don't need to turn the heater off as the emp will either move to the cooler section of the vivarium or burrow to get away from the heat Smile

as for the substrate coco fibre works really well and so does most soil/peat mixture sorts
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating   Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating Empty1/13/2010, 3:18 pm

I'd switch to coco fiber.

How are you holding the humidity in the enclosure? I use a sheet of glass on top of the screen. When I don't have that, I use Saran wrap.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
MachRhAYNe
Pandinus
MachRhAYNe

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating   Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating Empty1/13/2010, 3:22 pm

Actually I've been using a fitted piece of cardboard over the open space on the screen. It's all I had at the time but I'm going out today to get some coco fibre, should I use saran wrap?
Back to top Go down
MachRhAYNe
Pandinus
MachRhAYNe

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating   Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating Empty1/13/2010, 6:19 pm

Ok, so I went and got the coco fibre, put it in the cage and my emp immediately began to burrow. Very Happy Which leads me to another question:

She is now completely covered in substrate...lol. Should I spray her off or will she just clean herself?
Back to top Go down
gromgroms
Centruroides
gromgroms

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating   Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating Empty1/13/2010, 7:42 pm

MachRhAYNe wrote:
Ok, so I went and got the coco fibre, put it in the cage and my emp immediately began to burrow. Very Happy Which leads me to another question:

She is now completely covered in substrate...lol. Should I spray her off or will she just clean herself?

that will stress her out. they will clean themselves. these arent dogs :p
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating   Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating Empty1/17/2010, 2:17 am

Coco fiber = good.

Substrate on emp = nothing to worry about.

Dumping water on soil = best way to maintain humidity.
Back to top Go down
MachRhAYNe
Pandinus
MachRhAYNe

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating   Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating Empty1/18/2010, 2:20 pm

So.. I have been dumping water on the substrate to generate humidity and have noticed that the top layer will dry out fairly well after a bit but the bottom layers seem to stay wet.

Should I leave the substrate this way or should I mix it up every once in awhile so that the lower layers can dry? :HeathJoker:
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating   Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating Empty1/19/2010, 11:33 pm

That's fine and normal. Most of my tanks look dry from the top but I can tell in cross-section that there's plenty of moisture where it matters -- in the layer they burrow in. Smile
Back to top Go down
MachRhAYNe
Pandinus
MachRhAYNe

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating   Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating Empty1/20/2010, 2:52 am

Ok. That makes sense. I appreciate the help. :HeathJoker:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating   Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie Questions about Substrates and Heating
Page 1 of 1